Humor Random Comments Thread

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well spotted! I'd forgot about Crossrail even had a few documentaries on the BBC. Mostly tunnelling with accuracy.
Trouble is that's a capital-city project, so will meander on till..oh I see your point.

Glad to hear HS2 is digging up cemeteries in Euston, may well find some from KIB's God's Railway.
As it involves anywhere North of Watford HS2 may well run out of steam, sorry about that.

N.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
Living in wrong place on Earth to see the eclipse?
No problem sir! Eclipse on Stellarium:
4fn4p4xl58z3gef6g.jpg

:lol:

Still living on the wrong planet (and era) for space exploration and eclipses? No problem sir! Orbiter is the ultimate solution.
v11aa3rv2p7xbxe6g.jpg

Last edited:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes. Though the number is hardly surprising for a project with that complexity and the German accuracy when it comes to inspecting other peoples work for errors. :lol:

But the project had a REALLY REALLY REALLY REEEEAAALLLY bad project management during the first ten years.

Including that the complex fire proofing design of such a large building complex was done by somebody barely qualified for cooking coffee in a office.

That is why there are so many problems in safety-critical equipment. The last thing I heard was using a kind of limestone for important cable channels with cables for the fire fighting equipment, that explodes when heated in a fire (and can cut cables that way). No professional architect for such a system would have done such a beginners error.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Fascinating, given the history of the city post WWII its not surprising its a political football.
Surprised about the engineering and planning though.

Heathrow in the UK has been given the go-ahead for a third runway to the North. This will demolish a lot of housing and require the M25(London orbital motorway) to go in a tunnel.
Another expensive project with lots of supporters and detractors.

N.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Fascinating, given the history of the city post WWII its not surprising its a political football.
Surprised about the engineering and planning though.

Doesn't look so much like a political football as a supreme display of incompetence.

Heathrow in the UK has been given the go-ahead for a third runway to the North. This will demolish a lot of housing and require the M25(London orbital motorway) to go in a tunnel.
Another expensive project with lots of supporters and detractors.

N.

Paid for by Heathrow, if memory serves.

Heathrow is running at full capacity and pretty much only serves large aircraft, even though the industry is going towards two engine, narrow body jets with point-to-point model of aviation.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I don't know enough to make a reasoned judgement oh Heathrow, and I'm not going to waste my time!

I used to fly to Heathrow when I was working and had some money... That was from Newcastle in the North-East of England. Only a 50 minute flight and usually ok.
Tried Stanstead and Gatwick, but they have their own problems if you want to get to the South-West of London. Use the train now, I've got the time. and its cheaper.

Extending Heathrow is going to enormously disruptive. I wouldn't have though they would get away with it considering prevailing winds bring landing aircraft right over the city.

N.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Just after posting in the Basement I wondered just how many watch lists that this forum/members are on?

I have taken some weird routes for research for some some threads (To keep up/ general interest) that have included Nuclear physics and Explosive chemistry to name two, in the past. It would surprise me if others on the forum have not done the same.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Just after posting in the Basement I wondered just how many watch lists that this forum/members are on?

I have taken some weird routes for research for some some threads (To keep up/ general interest) that have included Nuclear physics and Explosive chemistry to name two, in the past. It would surprise me if others on the forum have not done the same.

Don't ask, don't tell.:lol:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Watch Lists ?

N.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Watch Lists ?

N.

In other words, spaceflight overlaps with areas of engineering with militarily significant applications, so spaceflight geeks are likely to have Internet reading patterns that raise red flags with modern state surveillance agencies.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
In other words, spaceflight overlaps with areas of engineering with militarily significant applications, so spaceflight geeks are likely to have Internet reading patterns that raise red flags with modern state surveillance agencies.

Especially in the USA, where everything slightly related to nuclear weapons is already export-controlled and research often subject to eminent domain. It is pretty funny, that the contents of a German highschool textbook would be a major state secret in the USA.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
One of many code pearls I found in some international corporation's code that handles money:
Code:
memset(stMngr_Pwd,"00000",sizeof(stMngr_Pwd));

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Errr... why do they have a hardcoded password?

Plus, I *do hope* that password is redacted, otherwise it's not good for the guy who put it in, and also not good for you... :shifty:

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
RIP my sturdy Monitor that died last night, you lasted 12 hard years of service, now I'm off to buy a replacement before work gets too piled up. Also why are some websites a pain to use on a tablet that are fine of a phone or PC.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Errr... why do they have a hardcoded password?

Plus, I *do hope* that password is redacted, otherwise it's not good for the guy who put it in, and also not good for you... :shifty:

I had a warning in there for sometime now, but only today did I decide see what was going on. That line seems to be the password buffer initialization, and then the password is read from a file somewhere... not mine, or my company's responsibility so... :shrug:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That line seems to be the password buffer initialization, and then the password is read from a file somewhere...

Ah. Well, that's fine then. Let's hope they validate their input length... :lol:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Ah. Well, that's fine then. Let's hope they validate their input length... :lol:

I checked the memory around the buffer and it doesn't mess anything up... except the buffer... :lol:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score

I'd be disappointed if I were not on (at least) one watch list.