Humor Random Comments Thread

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Just had a look on the map and Limburg is quite a connection point to various cities.
Radio/Radar stations are more tactical targets. Any info why it was bombed? Or just a miss from the loco depot?

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Just had a look on the map and Limburg is quite a connection point to various cities.
Radio/Radar stations are more tactical targets. Any info why it was bombed? Or just a miss from the loco depot?

N.

Can't find much except oral history from witnesses of WW2, but there had been two different radio stations that had been bombed in that place.

- A small mobile radio station was setup in the parish garden. That is fairly close to the bomb site.

- A large fixed radio station was in the forest of lower Hadamar. It was also the site of the last small ground combat between US forces and Germans during the liberation of Limburg. But that one is about 10 km away from the bomb today, somewhere west of Hadamar.

I am not sure if it was really a miss - those radio stations had been used to coordinate the air defenses, attacking them shortly before a bombing raid could really make it harder to coordinate fighters.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
New fun idea to lighten up my workday:

Write all class and property names in yeOldeEnglishe

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Re #25385 above.

I grew up in Blyth, North East England about 10 miles up the coast from Newcastle.
I never head of any UXB activity, I'm guessing all were sorted soon after the raids.

Newcastle was the target of a few raids, but not as heavily bombed as some cities:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcastle_Blitz

My parents where children then and don't recall any sustained bombing, but the Luftwaffe did seem keen on "Aerial Mines" or parachute bombs as they called them.
These single raiders went on for quite a while till near the end of the war.

When I was growing up the beach still had tank traps on it. 8' cubes of concrete scattered all over the sand-dunes. Of course it was obvious to small boys that you dug under them to make them roll over...Darwinism hadn't reached the North then.

Recently the Naval Gun Battery has been restored. It protected Blyth Harbour and beaches:
https://www.blythbattery.org.uk/

The gun type originally installed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BL_6-inch_Mk_VII_naval_gun
N.

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
And the bomb made the news: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48746557

That's a peculiar crater shape.
9v9n24dezg631.jpg

steph

Reaction score
The unexploded mine/bomb risk is present in France as well. I hear they have entire areas still sealed off, even now. In the coastal forests of western France you can literally come across the rusty remains of old encampments, and I'm not even talking about the concrete bunkers. The thought that there might still be mines came across my mind, but I figured that at least the trail leading to them should be mine-free :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The unexploded mine/bomb risk is present in France as well. I hear they have entire areas still sealed off, even now. In the coastal forests of western France you can literally come across the rusty remains of old encampments, and I'm not even talking about the concrete bunkers. The thought that there might still be mines came across my mind, but I figured that at least the trail leading to them should be mine-free :)

In Belgium, there are still huge mines of about 15 tons TNT waiting to be found after WW1. One exploded after a lightning strike in 1955, creating a 40m wide crater.

steph

Reaction score
In Belgium, there are still huge mines of about 15 tons TNT waiting to be found after WW1. One exploded after a lightning strike in 1955, creating a 40m wide crater.

That sounds more like underground ordinance depot rigged to a detonator :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Essentially that is what they created. They simply applied modern chemistry to medieval tactics.

Linguofreak

Reaction score

Long before there were landmines that blew up when you stepped on them, there was the tactic of digging a tunnel under enemy fortifications, filing it with explosives, and setting them off. That's where the term "mine" for a landmine came, actually.

---------- Post added at 15:56 ---------- Previous post was at 15:41 ----------

New fun idea to lighten up my workday:

Write all class and property names in yeOldeEnglishe

Nitpick:

yeMiddleEnglysshe

þætEaldeEnglisc

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think I will write my next C# tool using old saxon identifiers.

sageDagun();

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Yeah, well, I was more thinking of ye olde butcherde englishe...

But the form people butcher in that case is generally no older than Early Modern English. Even ye for þe, which I used for yeMiddleEnglysshe, is an early modern form. The best way to butcher Old English proper is to take Dutch or Frisian or Plattdeutsch and replace all the D's with þ.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
But the form people butcher in that case is generally no older than Early Modern English.

Of course it is, otherwise people would have to learn another language :lol:

The best way to butcher Old English proper is to take Dutch or Frisian or Plattdeutsch and replace all the D's with þ.

That sounds like as good an idea as writing swiss german. Which people started to do in texts and emails nowadays. It's horrible...

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That sounds like as good an idea as writing swiss german. Which people started to do in texts and emails nowadays. It's horrible...

Yeah, especially using latin letters for it and not the correct klingon. :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Yes. Though the number is hardly surprising for a project with that complexity and the German accuracy when it comes to inspecting other peoples work for errors. :lol:

But the project had a REALLY REALLY REALLY REEEEAAALLLY bad project management during the first ten years.

Including that the complex fire proofing design of such a large building complex was done by somebody barely qualified for cooking coffee in a office.

That is why there are so many problems in safety-critical equipment. The last thing I heard was using a kind of limestone for important cable channels with cables for the fire fighting equipment, that explodes when heated in a fire (and can cut cables that way). No professional architect for such a system would have done such a beginners error.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Strangely we haven't got anything exactly analogous in the UK.
We have HS2(High Speed 2) a railway, that may or may not get built, not sure if its started yet?

Should have refurbished Tempelhof, better architecture.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Strangely we haven't got anything exactly analogous in the UK.
We have HS2(High Speed 2) a railway, that may or may not get built, not sure if its started yet?

Should have refurbished Tempelhof, better architecture.

They have started. Currently doing Premlim site work at Euston. Most of which is looking for bodies in the cemetery they are building on.

Crossrail is starting to look like a good analogy. That was going well, until it wasn't. 2 year delay minimum.