Spacecraft RACT, new ship idea

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am starting this tread to see if anyone would be interested in seeing this new ship idea. I sadly don't have the skills so if I could get some feedback, maybe I can get a team together to help develop it. If you like the idea, please reply to this thread, simply by typing in bump, or feel free to ask questions or add comments

The current name of this craft is R.A.C.T (Robotic Automated Cargo Transport)

The idea that is fits in the cargobay of Dougs excellent XR5 and uses the craft as a SSTO to get into a low orbit. From there it is jettisoned and flies its mission

The purpose of the craft would be to fly cargo from one low orbit to another.

Some of the key features:
You would have your choice for having a fairing (which could be jettisoned) after an aerobrake or aerocapture. The ship could also be launched without a fairing to increase range or payload when such manouveours are not necessary or part of the mission plan

Once RACT establishes its orbit, another XR5 could be launched to recover the craft and bring it down to the surface or could remain in orbit and another craft could be sent up to recover the payload, refuel the craft and send it back where it came from.

This is just a rough idea I have proposed on the #orbiter IRC channel and I would like to see what the orbiter community would think of such a craft so please feedback would be appeicated

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Would this be a modern day hypergolic or cryogenic fueled tug?
What total impulse (related to delta v, but independent of payload) would this thing have?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Would this be a modern day hypergolic or cryogenic fueled tug?

It would exist in the future "DG" era, and use the same "magic" fuels.

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
this is correct, since the craft that will orbit it is the XR5, no sense in it being modern rocket

Scarecrow

Reaction score
I am starting this tread to see if anyone would be interested in seeing this new ship idea. I sadly don't have the skills so if I could get some feedback, maybe I can get a team together to help develop it. If you like the idea, please reply to this thread, simply by typing in bump, or feel free to ask questions or add comments
I like it. Sadly, I don't think I'll be able to contribute.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Lol, I'm actually making an add-on that can fit in the cargo-hold of the DGIV, and with some changed values, it could easily do that. Its meant to be a cargo tug. Sound like what you're looking for?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
How about the capability to collect orbital debris, by sending out a huge type of net, that would be electro-magnetized, to collect metallic debri anyway, then reenter.

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
the initial idea for the craft would be for transporting large amount weights but in theory it could be used for anything