OHM Quasar Super Heavy Launch Vehicle 2.55

K_Jameson

Reaction score
The new version is closer. Here a first image of the Quasar 471 "in line" on the launch pad.

The new rocket is 126 m tall.

---------- Post added 03-16-12 at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-15-12 at 11:48 PM ----------

As demonstrated by the sidemount Quasar 471, this addon is always a good opportunity of amusement with some exotic rocket configurations. Here, an idea for a "stage-and-a-half" rocket built around the core of the smaller Quasar (the 220 series).

The engine pack has two RS-68B engines; the sustainer (center engine) is an RS-25E. If I have enough time for developing, this can be a good addition to the package.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Testing the concept in Orbiter. Note the reddish and "dirty" flame of the two RS-68 engines. The RS-25E engine (SSME) has a much more "clean" exhaust. The payload capacity is around 32,000 kg.

Last edited:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Well. I spent a couple of days testing this strange beast, refining his characteristics.
The performances could drop below 30,000 kg, and the appeal of the concept begins to slip away.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Is there any way to fix how the second stage of the 471 is off-center?
(because it rotates weirdly)

And will the Quasar 471, with a smaller in-line fairing, be able to carry more payload?

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Is there any way to fix how the second stage of the 471 is off-center?
(because it rotates weirdly)

Unfortunately not. It is a limitation of Multistage2.
The only way to fix this problem is: switch the upper stage on Spacecraft3 and treat it as payload.

The in-line version will have slightly more payload capacity, because of the lighter core stage. But warning: the payload capacity of all versions will be reduced of some tons because of a more precise calculation of the dead weights.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Some news here.

The "in-line" quasar 471 is abandoned: i realized that this monstruosity is really TOO BIG and has lost any claim of realism.

Instead of this, a more clever and equilibrated design was contemplated. The new project is the "452", that has a far smaller core stage, five RS-68 engines instead of seven and a new, larger upper stage (Jarvis-derived) with two J-2S or J-2X engines. The four kerolox boosters are unchanged.
Surprisingly, this design allows 225300 kg to LEO and 81400 kg to TLI, nearly identical to the Q-471 performances after the recalculation of the weights.
The shorten core allows a very long fairing; even the sidemount Quasar 471 can be considered obsolete.

Last edited:

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hi,do you plan on updating the Quasar rockets to work with the new ASVI.2.0,?I know the exaust effects are set correctly for the 220 model,but the exaust effects fot the 471 are still off,also are you going to make launch pads with the flame trenches,that works correctly at Cape Canaveral too?Thanks

Last edited:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Some news here.

The "in-line" quasar 471 is abandoned: i realized that this monstruosity is really TOO BIG and has lost any claim of realism.

Instead of this, a more clever and equilibrated design was contemplated. The new project is the "452", that has a far smaller core stage, five RS-68 engines instead of seven and a new, larger upper stage (Jarvis-derived) with two J-2S or J-2X engines. The four kerolox boosters are unchanged.
Surprisingly, this design allows 225300 kg to LEO and 81400 kg to TLI, nearly identical to the Q-471 performances after the recalculation of the weights.
The shorten core allows a very long fairing; even the sidemount Quasar 471 can be considered obsolete.

I hate to be a broken record.... but when will the update be ready? Thanks! :tiphat:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
The 2.5 release is nearly finished. As stated above, the Q-471 will be replaced by the Q-452, that is an inline rocket rather than sidemount. I must update the documentation. I think the new version will be uploaded in the next 10/15 days.

Interceptor

Reaction score
K Jameson ,why are you replacing the Quasar 471?,I really love that side mount rocket,could you please also include it in your next update,it would be a shame to get rid of this very useful rocket.Thanks

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
K Jameson ,why are you replacing the Quasar 471?,I really love that side mount rocket,could you please also include it in your next update,it would be a shame to get rid of this very useful rocket.Thanks

I'll try to answer for him:

1. As explained by him in another post, the new Q-452 provides roughly the same launch capacity with a more efficient design (using SSMEs instead of the higher thrust but less efficient RS-68, replacing the air-start SSME with J-2 engines). It provides a rocket closer to reality (remember Ares V? ;) ).

2. The new launch pads at the Capes (Canaveral and Passero) are designed with inline rocket designs in mind. The Q-471 is the odd one out, so the Q-452 (which provides just as much of payload volume) is built instead.

K_Jameson

Reaction score

Q-471 was very fun to draw... an original design... but was ludicrously big. Q-452 is still very, very big (still larger than SLS), but less exaggerated than Q-471... and has roughly the same performances because of the simpler design. Also, the ENORMOUS fairing of the Q-471 was very difficult to fill!

Q-471 is no longer supported or updated, but will remains available in the package, as "legacy version" (in the same manner of the old Jarvis M, replaced by the "Block II" version, but still available in the Jarvis package.).

Thanks for the appreciation.
:thumbup:

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

I'll try to answer for him:

1. As explained by him in another post, the new Q-452 provides roughly the same launch capacity with a more efficient design (using SSMEs instead of the higher thrust but less efficient RS-68, replacing the air-start SSME with J-2 engines). It provides a rocket closer to reality (remember Ares V? ;) ).

2. The new launch pads at the Capes (Canaveral and Passero) are designed with inline rocket designs in mind. The Q-471 is the odd one out, so the Q-452 (which provides just as much of payload volume) is built instead.

All right :thumbup: except for the core stage engines, that remains the RS-68 (brute force is still crucial :lol:).

Last edited:

icedown

Reaction score
Glad to see the update coming. About the replacement for the 471, will the fairing be as long as it was for the 471? The biggest thing I haul up usually is the SSBB so it's definitely overkill on the diameter but lifting 4-5 at once is easy with the fairing that length and is still well within the weight limits.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Glad to see the update coming. About the replacement for the 471, will the fairing be as long as it was for the 471? The biggest thing I haul up usually is the SSBB so it's definitely overkill on the diameter but lifting 4-5 at once is easy with the fairing that length and is still well within the weight limits.

Q-471 fairing has an enormous usable length of about 58 meters. Pretty useless and empty space in most cases, especially in BEO scenarios.

Q-452 fairing has a more reasonable usable lenght of about 38 meters.

The fairing diameter is unchanged at 11.3 meters (37 feet); however, the in-line Q-452 can support more easily different fairing diameters.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Another improvement is the introduction of an "intermediate" version, the Q-440, that is basically a LEO-only Q-452 without the upper stage / EDS and with the removal of the central RS-68 engine in the core stage (because of the lower liftoff weight), allowing a longer burn time. This is the first attempt of "scalability" of the superheavy rocket.
Even without an upper stage, Q-440 has about 155.000 kg of payload to LEO.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Hmm.... the summer holidays are almost over, but I still cannot find the new versions of this add-on. It has been delaying my aerospace company's plans to put a fuel depot in LEO. :p

So at the risk of banging at the same tree, I want to ask when will it be ready for release? Thanks!:tiphat: