Question Problems connecting PC with TV

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The cable is not botched up or something along that lines?
Because you should not see any noise in the first place!
Other than some nicks and dings in the insulation, no. The gold connectors are pristine.

---------- Post added 10-05-2009 at 01:45 AM ---------- Previous post was 10-04-2009 at 02:45 PM ----------

Could a sign of a bad HDMI cable be that I don't get any sound from the computer on the TV? I have set up the TV to use the sound from the correct HDMI slot but is not getting any sound.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Granted you have the equipment, you should check the signal quality. With DVI (HDMI) there should be a perfect image or none (if the cable holds it's data).

Regarding the sound, have you connected any sound output of the PC to the HDMI cable?

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Pretty sure. Yet no sound.

What kind of output did you connect?
If it is the designated output from your graphics card, try setting the TV as primary output (supposed to help...).
I honestly don't know if HDMI can take regular S/PDIF. In any case it can not take analog signals.

Goes without saying, but make sure you actualy output something to the device :)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What kind of output did you connect?
If it is the designated output from your graphics card, try setting the TV as primary output (supposed to help...).
I honestly don't know if HDMI can take regular S/PDIF. In any case it can not take analog signals.
I have attached a screenshot of the Windows sound panel. HDMI is selected and when I play a video, I can see the bars being lit up.

Attachments

• Sound_HDMI.jpg
    Sound_HDMI.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 8

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
That is all nice and fine. But you need to connect the HDMI sound output to the HDMI cable.
From what I gather, you only have DVI connected and that does not carry sound at all.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That is all nice and fine. But you need to connect the HDMI sound output to the HDMI cable.
From what I gather, you only have DVI connected and that does not carry sound at all.
Where would I do these changes?

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Where would I do these changes?

Check your motherboard documentation where the output for the HDMI audio is. (There is probably a cable included to connect it to a graphics card).
Then connect the right wires to the right wires in the cable... the usual.

How is your setup now? Adapter or cable?
Some may come with a plug for sound.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
How is your setup now? Adapter or cable?
Some may come with a plug for sound.
Setup right now is just a single HDMI cable between the PC's lone HDMI slot on the graphics card and the HDMI-2 slot on the TV. And AUDIO IN L/R on the TV has been set to HDMI-2.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
In that case you need to connect the HDMI-out from the motherboard to the graphics card.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
In that case you need to connect the HDMI-out from the motherboard to the graphics card.
Is that one of the two ports labelled DIGITAL AUDIO on the back on the computer? There's one orange and one blue. And there's no audio port on the graphics card.

SpaceNut

Reaction score
You have to configure both displays, the video card is likely set to a higher resolution than the tv can handle, so you have to configure each display separately in the video card control panel. You have to choose to span, clone, or just send video to the tv, etc. I have my setup so that it's one huge display (span), and drag stuff back and forth between the two. When I go to watch a movie, I drag the player over to the other display, and then go full screen from there.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You have to configure both displays, the video card is likely set to a higher resolution than the tv can handle, so you have to configure each display separately in the video card control panel. You have to choose to span, clone, or just send video to the tv, etc. I have my setup so that it's one huge display (span), and drag stuff back and forth between the two. When I go to watch a movie, I drag the player over to the other display, and then go full screen from there.
That is what I have now. Separate display configurations. 1440x900 for the monitor and 720px1280x720 for the TV.

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Are you using a laptop? Quite a lot of those can't manage HDMI sound.
A couple of things to try:
1) Set HDMI sound to be the default sound output BEFORE starting whatever program will be making the sound.
2) Set HDMI to be default, then restart PC.
3) Switch the TV+PC off before plugging in the HDMI cable

It is possible that (like me) your laptop simply can't do HDMI sound. Then you can use an audio cable from the socket on your PC into the audio L/R on the TV.