Question Preventing shadows?

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hello all-

I have an aircraft carrier with the deck at "ground" level, and a spacecraft which has splashed down level with the bottom of the ship. So far, everything looks good, but is there a way to prevent the recovery helicopter (a spacecraft3 setup) from casting a shadow? It falls at "ground" level and from most perspectives, appears to be floating above the spacecraft it's recovering.

Any solutions?

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
That would disable all shadows. Which is not the purpose of this excercise.
I believe Saturn V is looking for a way to specificaly disable the shadow for the helicopter.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, I was wondering if there was a way to eliminate shadows from one specific vessel, but it's not a deal-breaker if not.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
If I am correct, if you add your carrier as a surface base, I kind of remember there was a way to configure the mesh so it did not project shadows. It was long ago, so I am not sure if it was exactly that. Anyway I might tell you to check how surface bases parameters are configured for meshes.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, you're right. You can specify "shadows" or "undershadows" in the MESH section of the cfg file for the base, which I did and it looks fine. The problem is getting rid of the helicopter's shadow. That has to remain a vessel and there doesn't seem to be a way to eliminate those shadows. As I said, it's not that big a deal either way. Nice if I can do it, not losing sleep over it if I can't.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes, you're right. You can specify "shadows" or "undershadows" in the MESH section of the cfg file for the base, which I did and it looks fine. The problem is getting rid of the helicopter's shadow. That has to remain a vessel and there doesn't seem to be a way to eliminate those shadows. As I said, it's not that big a deal either way. Nice if I can do it, not losing sleep over it if I can't.
For all mesh groups in the helicopter's mesh, add
FLAG 1
in the mesh group's header, before the GEOM section.

Source: 3dmodel.pdf in the Orbiter sdk, page 7

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Ah! Very Good. I'll have to try that. Thank you.