Payload Interface

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can code the MPMs; it should be pretty close to the RMS MPM stuff.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I can code the MPMs; it should be pretty close to the RMS MPM stuff.
In fact, they're identical. Every orbiter was scarred for a starboard RMS, the panel controls and software has been there ever since STS-2.

It's just that NASA has never seen the need to fly a starboard RMS. So they decided to finally put the scarring to use following the Columbia accident for the OBSS.

All you need to do is tie a moveable attachment point akin to the RMS end effector attachment point to the MPMs and you're ready for some basic OBSS fun!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Would it be possible to create a mesh which consists of passive or active payload latch pairs?

With these, we could maybe make it simpler to dock payloads into the bay, when we have visual cues where the the trunnions should be.

As we can shift the attachment points around, this might become especially important.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Would it be possible to create a mesh which consists of passive or active payload latch pairs?

With these, we could maybe make it simpler to dock payloads into the bay, when we have visual cues where the the trunnions should be.

As we can shift the attachment points around, this might become especially important.
Donamy has a set of payload retention panels included with his STS-124 payloads pack under the meshname of 124Bridgerail.msh.

And as far as I can tell, there's no visible external difference between retention panels for deployable payloads and non-deployable payloads other than that the deployable payloads panel has a set of V-guides attached to them.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
0_HCMw-hvI-vb6gWNtahGLoLG3hTV0C571EVCjwFnLjS6e3mvzLxBpL2tBy71HrbJ5VYtbgcGiwQEol1TBTDtBtAAVRNTJ9cfEBhU5P4bSs

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much the MPM mesh should be offset from the 0,0,0 position?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much the MPM mesh should be offset from the 0,0,0 position?
Here's the data I use for my "quick&dirty" OBSS MPM attachment point:
2.83, 1.05, 1.68. Makes it line up pretty well with the bay.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
About the two MMU attachments - shall I always include them and where should they be, or should I make it possible to give them a new function when no MMU is flown?

I also drop the special ferry child->parent attachment, we don't need it when a ET is attached, and when a ET is attached we would use the HDP attachment, And when no ET (or SRBs) is installed, why should we have a HDP?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
About the two MMU attachments - shall I always include them and where should they be, or should I make it possible to give them a new function when no MMU is flown?
Well, the locations for the MMU FSS(Flight Support Stations) were where the External Airlock is today! So, they're mutually exclusive, you can't fly MMU when you want to fly the External Airlock.

I also drop the special ferry child->parent attachment, we don't need it when a ET is attached, and when a ET is attached we would use the HDP attachment, And when no ET (or SRBs) is installed, why should we have a HDP?
That's true. The SCA attaches to the existing Orbiter/ET attachment interfaces.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, the locations for the MMU FSS(Flight Support Stations) were where the External Airlock is today! So, they're mutually exclusive, you can't fly MMU when you want to fly the External Airlock.

OK, so I can join the external airlock tool box attachments and the MMU attachments into one slot.

Can somebody help me with updating the RMS dialog? I want to have a combobox with the payload select rotary switch options (1, MONITOR 1, 2, MONITOR 2, 3, MONITOR 3), but the data I entered in the resource editor for the box is lost in Orbiter.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
OK; So the first version of the new payload interface has been implemented. So how is it used?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
OK; So the first version of the new payload interface has been implemented. So how is it used?

Well, you have a series of XS attachments, which allow you to add stuff. You can move the attachments by having a line "PAYLOAD symbol zpos mass type" in the scenario.

symbol can be CACTIVEn (active latches, center line payload). with n being 1-3.
CPASSIVEn (passive latches center line, 1-4)
PORTn (port sill payload, 1-4)
STBDn (starboard sill payload 1-4)

zpos is the Z coordinate of the attachment, the other coordinates and orientation of the attachment point are fixed.

mass is payload mass, when something is attached to it. Currently it is not used.

type will be used later for calculating the behavior of the ready to latch indicators.

I will prepare a table with the IDs of the attachments soon, i am not so far. Also the payload system is not really finished yet, but ready for shaking some bugs out internally.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, you have a series of XS attachments, which allow you to add stuff. You can move the attachments by having a line "PAYLOAD symbol zpos mass type" in the scenario.

symbol can be CACTIVEn (active latches, center line payload). with n being 1-3.
CPASSIVEn (passive latches center line, 1-4)
PORTn (port sill payload, 1-4)
STBDn (starboard sill payload 1-4)

zpos is the Z coordinate of the attachment, the other coordinates and orientation of the attachment point are fixed.

mass is payload mass, when something is attached to it. Currently it is not used.

type will be used later for calculating the behavior of the ready to latch indicators.

I will prepare a table with the IDs of the attachments soon, i am not so far. Also the payload system is not really finished yet, but ready for shaking some bugs out internally.
A scenario showing this in action would be great!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A scenario showing this in action would be great!

Yes. I currently only used the Show attachments mode of Orbiter to test it.

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
MPMs now work. I still need to get the A8 talkbacks working.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
MPMs now work. I still need to get the A8 talkbacks working.
Nice but encountered a problem. The RMS controls doesn't work anymore! No joy no matter what A8 switch settings I have. The RMS is simply dead!

Speaking of that, could you please make it so that the RMS Power switch on panel A8L must be in the "ON" setting for any RMS controls to function? Currently we do it by placeing the PL BAY MECH PWR switches on R13L to "ON", when it should be just the switch on A8L.

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For the RMS, have the controls on PanelA8 or the dialog failed?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
For the RMS, have the controls on PanelA8 or the dialog failed?
The dialog. It won't respond to commands, no matter action I request of it!

Edit:
BTW, which attachment point number is for the STBD MPMs?

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The dialog is working for me. I've added code to print a message when one of the joints is moved; make sure this message shows up when you try to move the arm.