OHM OSIRIS-REx

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Updated on OH to version 190903, with Cristiapi's altimetry data for Bennu.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Very interesting, I hope they go for it. I'm guessing there would be one or more Earth gravity assists after it delivers the SRC, to align orbit for rendezvous with Apophis.
Also, I saw there was a proposal for a second OSIRIS-REx spacecraft to return samples from Phobos (and Deimos??)
A quick back-of-envelope calculation seemed to imply it would need another ~1000m/s dV for just Phobos sample/return - but I'm not sure about that. I might have to give it a try :)
Cheers,
Brian

cannon_gray

Reaction score
This is not the first time that humanity has managed to access materials from space. Extraterrestrial soil sampling was carried out for the first time during the "lunar race". Space debris from low Earth orbit was collected in 1996 by placing an airgel on the outer surface of the Mir station, and in 2004, the Genesis mission produced the first ever solar wind samples collected outside the lunar orbit. In 2006, the Stardust spacecraft returned to Earth and successfully collected the first comet samples. In 2014, just two years before the launch of OSIRIS-REx, the Japanese space probe Hayabusa 2 went on a similar encounter with the asteroid 162173 Ryugu. This unit researched the target for over a year before filling a container with pieces of stone and dust.