Project Orion MPCV

Obunga

Reaction score
I can't figure out how to attach the Orion to this delta 4 heavy mod? [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5556"]Delta IV Launch Vehicles 3.0[/ame]

The custom payload manager seems to only allow one mesh, one config. I got it to work with an older Orion mod that had an all-in-one config and mesh and attached it with the default Delta IV fairings but this capsule has lots of separate meshes and configs. Is there a way to make an all-in-one config or mesh?
It's not a problem if not, I'm just wondering if it's possible because I really like to use that Delta IV since I use it a lot for satellite missions. :)

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
I can't figure out how to attach the Orion to this delta 4 heavy mod? Delta IV Launch Vehicles 3.0

The custom payload manager seems to only allow one mesh, one config. I got it to work with an older Orion mod that had an all-in-one config and mesh and attached it with the default Delta IV fairings but this capsule has lots of separate meshes and configs. Is there a way to make an all-in-one config or mesh?
It's not a problem if not, I'm just wondering if it's possible because I really like to use that Delta IV since I use it a lot for satellite missions. :)

I want to mirror you completely. I have been trying to get Orion on that Delta IV for many months, and I have come to no avail. I would rather use that one, but yes, it only can take specific one config / one mesh combos. If there was a way to get Orion on it, it would still be less accessible to edit, and the Velcro advantages would be lost. Agreed, that Delta IV 3.0 version is a more realistic version, but I'm not sure how to get Orion on there.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Ok, I will provide an all-in-one mesh for launch.
Will take a day to do so.

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 AM ----------

picture.php

Uploaded a new version (03) on the front page of this thread. Contains all-in-one launch meshes & configs. Scenario included for Tom Harringtons Delta IV Launch Vehicles 3.0.

Black CM tiles for now. Fairings adapted. Minor tweaks with RCS exhausts.

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Looks like that should be a submission for the 2015 calender. You do some great work, I for one am glad to see you back in the add-on business (not that you were ever really gone, but you know what I mean).

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
... I for one am glad to see you back in the add-on business (not that you were ever really gone, but you know what I mean).

Thanks for your kind words!
Indeed I kept in touch with Orbiter in the past years, reading the forums and flying a milk-run to the ISS from time to time. :) But the last addon was in 2008.

I am glad the Orion (the real one) survived all the budget cuts, as I think it is the best part of the Constellation program. And, as a European, I appreciate that the service module will built by ESA.

Space capsule addons and launchers recently published for Orbiter show an amazing high quality! I thought it was about time to give my old Orion a revamping. Target is to achieve a good looking, functional addon that is easy on the frame rates and integrates well with launchers and future exploration vessels. The feedback here in the forum helps me to focus on the important things, not to get lost in details.
____
Jettison the service module: <Ctrl> J should do the job.

Obunga

Reaction score
Ok, I will provide an all-in-one mesh for launch.
Will take a day to do so.

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 AM ----------

picture.php

Uploaded a new version (03) on the front page of this thread. Contains all-in-one launch meshes & configs. Scenario included for Tom Harringtons Delta IV Launch Vehicles 3.0.

Black CM tiles for now. Fairings adapted. Minor tweaks with RCS exhausts.

Awesome! Thank you! I found one strange bug though. The fairings and LES don't auto separate at all. They just stay there and when I press J to deploy payload they disappear and it's just the pod and service module.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
It is not a bug, it is a feature! :hmm:
This Delta IV Heavy has an old-style payload managment. The payload vessel is created only after separation. At launch a - free defined - mesh is shown. In my scenario I show a LAS & fairing mesh at start. No launcher fairing.
After payload jettison the initial mesh is deleted and the - newly created - vessel pops into existence.

Modern launchers have attachment points, allowing payload vessels to be active during launch. I don't know if Tom Harrington is still active as an addon developer, he did a great job then and could easily add attachments to his Delta.

Also I am open to suggestions for workarounds like defining attachment points in the launcher cfg file, or replacing original fairing meshes with Orion fairings, etc.

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
On the real color for Orion, I was at KSC talking to the Headquarters Executive (I think his name was Garth) for Orion, and I asked him what colors Orion and SLS will be. He said that the weight of paint is somewhat negligible, and that the will be white. Although, he did say that there is the possibility that they want a supreme efficiency, so they will have the SLS orange and Orion black. Most all of the time, even in BEO, or deep space, he said it would be white.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well it looks like on the Tom Harringtons Delta IV Launch Vehicles 3.0 version the payload was too heavy for the rocket to send it into orbit....

Otherwise, I can't wait for sending this tough spacecraft around the Moon and beyond in Orbiter! :cool:

Interceptor

Reaction score
Well it looks like on the Tom Harringtons Delta IV Launch Vehicles 3.0 version the payload was too heavy for the rocket to send it into orbit....

Otherwise, I can't wait for sending this tough spacecraft around the Moon and beyond in Orbiter! :cool:
Yeah I have also encountered this problem,too bad it's not fixable.

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
While catching up on The Space Review, I found a quote that adds a bit more information to the whole color question(link):

Illustrations and animations of Orion show it with a white exterior, courtesy of thermal paint. But the Orion flying on EFT-1 will instead look black. Henning explained that, given the short duration of the flight, that paint isn’t needed. “It’s just the raw black tile,” he said.

Since the Orion Black-edition(;)) spacecraft sounds like it could be a one-off, it might be enough to include the it's texture file in an extra's folder to use recreating this first mission. I think having users copy over a texture file sounds easier than having francisdrake code in some way to change the texture via a line in the scenario file or whatever, but since I don't know diddly about coding or what others might think, I'll just leave that as an idea.

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
No, I agree as well. An Orion EFT-1 add-on should have a black Orion. We don't want francis to work TOO hard, so making two different packs, one for EFT-1 and one for regular is a good idea. Also, to make it more realistic, the sequence of events is that the SM never had solar panels and never detached from the Delta IV heavy. How will Orion detach from the SM before the SM detaches from the second stage?

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
I was getting used to the black Orion. Made her look like a sportscar :)

Regarding Tom Harringtons Delta IV: There is line in the scenario file:
PLDWEIGHT 24500
If you can't make to orbit try reducing this value.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I was getting used to the black Orion. Made her look like a sportscar :)

Regarding Tom Harringtons Delta IV: There is line in the scenario file:
PLDWEIGHT 24500
If you can't make to orbit try reducing this value.
According to the EFT-1 presskit, the lift-off mass of the Orion elements (SM/CM/LAS) is 46,000 lbm or 20 700 kg. So that is 8,377.56 lbm (3 800 kg) too much.

Harry

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for putting this together francisdrake, good to see you designing models again!:thumbup:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
picture.php

** New version 04 on the front page **

What's new:
Textures reworked, decals (logos) added, RCS thrusters now have exhaust streams, new chutes with longer lines (still need some work), code cleanup.

FAIRING keyword in launch scenario lets user choose if he wants to use my fairing panels or the ones from his favorite launcher.

Cleaning up my litter: Fairings and LAS are no more cluttering up the F3 menu. They are deleted when orbit is achieved and solar panels are extended.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
For information, this is the mass table I am currently using:

#define CM_DRYMASS 8913 // kg
#define CM_FUEL 170 // kg
#define SM_DRYMASS 4430 // kg
#define SM_FUEL 7907 // kg

#define LAS_DRYMASS 2600 // kg
#define LAS_FUEL 2500 // kg

#define FAIR_MASS 408 // kg mass of all fairings

The values seem reasonably close to the published figures.
I guess for the crew 4 x 120 kg have to be added.

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
So, NASA made a cockpit interface video, and I took a snapshot panorama of the whole of the cockpit that they show in the video. Here it is.