Launch News Orion EFT-1 Update thread

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Yeah, I was thinking while watching the mission that the quality of the images was amazing (and live !) in comparison of the Apollo era. It's definitively one of the areas where technology boomed. Now you can almost follow a mission like you would watch an Orbiter replay. The drone view showing the parachutes deployement live was especially impressive. Soon it will be like in a movie but live, and they'll need a director to select the right cameras and viewing angles at the right moment in real time to maximize the dramatic effect. Or you will even be able to browse through the views from your TV/computer :blink:

Not bad for early 70s:

:)

Obunga

Reaction score
Great job NASA! I got to watch it this morning on NASA-TV before school. :)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thats a lovely video, the shot at the end of the LH2/LOX exhaust is very nice. Im gonna bookmark that as a reference in case anyone asks when making exhaust textures.

Actually this is only the exhaust of the RS-68 which is unusual for hydrolox engines as it uses an ablative insulation for nozzle cooling. Other engines uses regen cooling which gives a cleaner exhaust (see the SSME). The RS-68 exhaust is really red and is best simulated with particle streams.

Look up photos of the first Delta IV Heavy launch on December 21 2004 to see how the RS-68 exhaust really looks like in better conditions than today (overcast and right at sunrise).

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking while watching the mission that the quality of the images was amazing (and live !) in comparison of the Apollo era. It's definitively one of the areas where technology boomed. Now you can almost follow a mission like you would watch an Orbiter replay. The drone view showing the parachutes deployement live was especially impressive. Soon it will be like in a movie but live, and they'll need a director to select the right cameras and viewing angles at the right moment in real time to maximize the dramatic effect. Or you will even be able to browse through the views from your TV/computer :blink:

We'll probably have live VR next time people launch out of LEO. Beyond LEO will take a lot longer than Apollo.

Still, isn't this exciting? :thumbup:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Orion is secure with the USS Anchorage now, and on its way to San Diego.

QK6VxKQ.jpg

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Looks like some pretty intense security there on the balcony!

Do they have a water tank on the ship? :blink:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looks like some pretty intense security there on the balcony!

Do they have a water tank on the ship? :blink:

Anchorage is an amphibious warfare ship, equipped with a well deck for boat operations. What you see in that photo is the well deck and aft of that, the half-open door. The ship has ballast tanks to sink the stern and flood the well deck, and then raise the stern to drain the water out.

And I don't think that's security you're seeing; more likely just the ship's crew.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Last edited:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Anchorage is an amphibious warfare ship, equipped with a well deck for boat operations. What you see in that photo is the well deck and aft of that, the half-open door. The ship has ballast tanks to sink the stern and flood the well deck, and then raise the stern to drain the water out.

And I don't think that's security you're seeing; more likely just the ship's crew.

Actually I was talking about the guy right of center who appears to be holding a firearm, however, if it were, not only would he be pointing the barrel down at the ground, I do believe it is a camera on a folded tripod :lol:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Splashdown viewed from the USS Anchorage deck :

Last edited:

Graham2001

Reaction score
Congratulations to NASA on a successful flight, I just wish there was an EFT-2 coming a few months down the track, as history buffs remember, Apollo 4 was followed by Apollo 6....

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Congratulations to NASA on a successful flight, I just wish there was an EFT-2 coming a few months down the track, as history buffs remember, Apollo 4 was followed by Apollo 6....

Well, without Apollo's bottomless pants pockets, I think NASA is doing pretty good. They accomplished a lot of test objectives with just this one flight.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Great flight, met a lot of goals.

But is the next "event" for Orion EM-1? That's tentatively scheduled for December 2017, assuming the SLS stays on schedule. That's a long period of inactivity across a U.S. presidential election cycle, lots of time to sharpen the budget axe.

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Great flight, met a lot of goals.

But is the next "event" for Orion EM-1? That's tentatively scheduled for December 2017, assuming the SLS stays on schedule. That's a long period of inactivity across a U.S. presidential election cycle, lots of time to sharpen the budget axe.

Try December 2018, actually.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
ESA reported setbacks with the SM design.