Orbiter Video Thread

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Then I guess you won't like my next video, which will be about Kulch's space elevator. A lot of the shots will involve looking at the front of the elevator car while looking down on Earth. There aren't a lot of ways I can show movement.

Good luck with that :lol:!

The elevator shakes constantly, which will make filming an ascent kinda tough. I think there might be a way to get motion shots, but its hard to say.

Building IMS next to it is really cool (although absolute FPS murder)

rseferino

Orbiter amateur filmmaker
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks for your opinion Unstung :thumbup:, I will take into account and I will read it carefully because English is not my native language . Actually I have a lot to learn about this, so I always say I am amateur.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion Unstung :thumbup:, I will take into account and I will read it carefully because English is not my native language . Actually I have a lot to learn about this, so I always say I am amateur.

As long as you like doing them, that's all that matters.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Good luck with that :lol:!

The elevator shakes constantly, which will make filming an ascent kinda tough. I think there might be a way to get motion shots, but its hard to say.

Building IMS next to it is really cool (although absolute FPS murder)
It doesn't shake, it actually flickers instead. You can actually achieve "pass-by" shots with the ground camera.

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

There will also be a point near the beginning of the video where it shifts from x1 time (just after the elevator takes off from the ground) to x10 time (to show the sky turning black as it heads into space)

But you can't please everybody.

Last edited:

Unstung

Reaction score
Thanks, I hope it was not too harsh and makes sense. A while back, I've read that somebody who makes simulator videos tries something new for each video to advance and add something special. It's pretty much what I winded up recommending in my last paragraph. (EDIT: To avoid confusion, I mentioned you used a lot of fast cutting and jump cuts. In reality, those are not jump cuts but they remind me of them due to their chaotic nature and cutting between similar scenes.)

I too will always be an amateur who can learn more about videos, photography, or whatever. It's a great way to think.

As Donamy said, it's most important if you enjoy your work; as I mentioned those who make videos for fun are true artists like probably all filmmakers here. But I personally find constructive criticism helpful, especially when it teaches me new things or gives me a different perspective on my work. The more detailed, the better. Fair criticism is hard to come by and is often appreciated by those who post their work, so sometimes I am inclined to contribute with my opinion.

There will also be a point near the beginning of the video where it shifts from x1 time (just after the elevator takes off from the ground) to x10 time (to show the sky turning black as it heads into space)

But you can't please everybody.
Actually, keeping the pacing of the video and changing the playback speed can work. I've used it before in my videos. The technique became popular in the 1990s, with digital editing. It shows something important quickly, like the environment, yet prevents a shot from taking too much time. I don't know what it's called, but I've learned the technique is actually a thing from Die Another Day. It's a great idea to show the transition between the atmosphere and space like that.
http://youtu.be/GbAiYjovbBM
The technique is used, most notably, at 36 seconds and goes by pretty quickly.

When I was thinking of how to make a better use of jump cuts in an Orbiter video, I came up with using them to show Earth shrinking in increments while the objective (Mars, space station) getting larger in front of the spacecraft. It will really save time and keep the progression straightforward.

(EDIT 2: After some research, I found that the technique is called speed ramping.)

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
A little emphasis on the reflections there ? :thumbup:

Paz666

Reaction score
A very long video (3 Hours), Index is in the Description. Hope you like it

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
didn't watch the whole thing, but I'm impressed. How long did that take you, about a year ?:thumbup:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Very short video of something that has been giving me much pleasure to develop :thumbup: And I've learned very much by doing it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QZB0-H3i0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QZB0-H3i0[/ame]

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
And here's another WIP project. A better version of my Buran VC, now with working instruments. Nevermind the pointless flying and some (still) unlimited pointer motion:

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Huh... That artificial horizion was REALLY confusing. Why does only the "plane" move, instead of the background? That would give many pilot's a severe case of "oh :censored:" if they hit IFR conditions...

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Huh... That artificial horizion was REALLY confusing. Why does only the "plane" move, instead of the background? That would give many pilot's a severe case of "oh :censored:" if they hit IFR conditions...

I think that that was the standard used in the USSR during the cold war. it is true most pilots would get confused, but most of the pilots of USSR aircraft would have trained with that instrumentation so would not find it too hard.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Yes. I did research a little about the soviet instruments and it was really like that!

You have 2 main "displays" on the that instrument:
- your vertical angle represented by a scale moving up and down,
- your horizontal angle represented by a miniature airplane

Not that confusing. Just imagine a chase camera flowing your plane, but always parallel to the horizon.

Last edited:

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
That is sick! :D
As a mad scientist, I take it as a compliment :)

Could you turn of program second early so you dont run into target?

You can disable the AP anytime you wish, but I have an idea about a configurable offset from the target orbital altitude, whose effect would be ending the insertion for example 0.5 km below the target.

Last edited: