Orbiter Video Thread

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
I now have my first Orbiter-Video. Now I just need some music. Does anybody know an un-copyrighted song, I can download from the internet, wich is similar to he "wherever i may roam" from Metallica, used in the Tex-film, but not to similarr (you should hear, that it's a different ong)?

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
I'm just uploading my first Orbiter-Video to youtube and at the same time it's my first youtube-video at all. So I now want to ask: Is it normal that, after upload you have to wait over a hour, until te Video can be shown?

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I'm just uploading my first Orbiter-Video to youtube and at the same time it's my first youtube-video at all. So I now want to ask: Is it normal that, after upload you have to wait over a hour, until te Video can be shown?
It can happen, yes, but I would guess it might also depend on the format of your video.

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
I'm now compressing it, it was real big - 45 GB, now it'l be barely under 1GB.
thanks for that help!

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
right. real high definition. I now compress it so it's "just" a "normal" Full-HD-Video... 6minutes 25seconds.

---------- Post added 24th Jan 2011 at 16:42 ---------- Previous post was 23rd Jan 2011 at 22:04 ----------

How long should Youtube normally need to "process" 1,86GB?

---------- Post added at 19:46 ---------- Previous post was at 16:42 ----------

Here's my first orbiter-Video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f4T9-K_ryw"]YouTube - KSC to Wideawake international in a DGIV in Orbiter space-flight-simulator.wmv[/ame]

the Timer sometimes resets, becauseI sometimes between-saved my record. all at all it's around ca.2000 seconds.
I know it's not the best, but I hope you enjoyed it!

greetings:tiphat:, HAL9001

Last edited:

vchamp

Reaction score
Carmen, your videos are gorgeous! The multiplayer project will bring Orbiter to a new level, me thinks.

Could someone please tell me how to make nice flyby views. I've tried the ground camera with a current position, but on orbital speeds a vessel moves too fast even with x0.1 simulation slowdown. I am also using the Flyby camera add-on by Computerex, but sometimes it have problems with target tracking and I'd like to not have the generic cockpit HUD elements in a view too.

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
Could someone please tell me how to make nice flyby views. I've tried the ground camera with a current position, but on orbital speeds a vessel moves too fast even with x0.1 simulation slowdown. I am also using the Flyby camera add-on by Computerex, but sometimes it have problems with target tracking and I'd like to not have the generic cockpit HUD elements in a view too.

With your coding prowess sir, of course OMP would reach beyond all known frontiers :3

Flybys - Hit ctrl F1, do you see the ground observer tab? This is where you can watch your Shuttle launch from KSC from the ground cameras. But in the air if you hit the USE CURRENT button, it will become a flyby camera positioned at a location of your choosing.

It works like a typical flyby view during atmospheric flight but in orbit you need to use 0.1x during a flyby or else the vehicle will fly by really quick.

The alternative for orbital flybys is to use creative panning while simultaneously changing the depth of field... this dynamic perspective looks better than many sci fi TV shows :D This last technique is demonstrated in my lunar orbit SAR video (which has a crappy visual interception I know, it was my first flight in vacuum :p)

webtek

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok, I have made my first video using Fraps and Sony Vegas. It is rendering right now. I know it is missing some background music, but this was mainly as an experiment to see what I can do. It will be here soon. EDIT: Here it is. It is of a Soyuz Launch. [ame="http://www.vimeo.com/19242031"]Soyuz Launch on Vimeo[/ame]

Last edited:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Only a small funny Orbiter-Video, work of only one hour, but I hope you like it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJEnCrvP3E

Interesting video. :) While I'm no movie maker myself, I might offer a suggestion or two that could help. First, try to be smoother with the time acceleration. You switch from 1x to 10x and back again pretty frequently, and that gets jarring. In fact, it might be a better idea to keep things on 1x all the time and then simply cut to the scenes you want to show, removing all the boring "getting to orbit" bits and whatnot and avoiding blasting through it on 10x. Second, tap the "i" key to get rid of all the informational text that Orbiter displays. It makes it look more like a movie. :)

Keep up the nice work. :cheers:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Great video Carmen!! You got some unique camera angles in there and it really made the whole buildup suspenseful. Great idea with those take-off angles shot from a car too. Well done! :thumbup:

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, it's not Orbiter, but here's a video I did in FS2004 - a flight to 65,000 feeet:

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
I'll now try to fly from KSC to Wideawake with a DGIV in 1000s.

---------- Post added at 21:33 ---------- Previous post was at 20:52 ----------

almoust made it (1200s for flight, but 500s landing maeuver) I think I would have done it in 900s with a XR2. Video comes later.

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
I'll now try to fly from KSC to Wideawake with a DGIV in 1000s.

---------- Post added at 21:33 ---------- Previous post was at 20:52 ----------

almoust made it (1200s for flight, but 500s landing maeuver) I think I would have done it in 900s with a XR2. Video comes later.
now I did it even faster!
Video comes on - *HAL9001 looks at his calendar and his timetable - Friday...