Orbiter theme song?

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
almost there...

i think it should have a more epic "kick" yet holding a somewhat peaceful atmosphere....

i'll have something up in a bit... hold on :thumbup:

Tommy

Reaction score
and meanwhile, i'm yet learning to play the keyboards - no, not the instrument, i mean the actualy computer keyboard, which works as a 2-octave piano in the MIDI sequencer

IMO a computer keyboard is an extremely poor musical instrument. The key layout is very non-intuitive, so it takes a loooooong time to get fluent at using it as a real time input device for music. Add to that the fact that it's a digital input - all notes will have the same volume. This leaves the music unexpressive. you can get a better sound by using a "grid" input and using a "humanize" tool as this will change the dynamics as well as the timing. Music can be too perfect - the small errors in timing and inconsistent note volume are what make music sound "real" rather than "canned".

For less than $150 you can get a Casio keyboard with full size velocity or pressure sensitive keys, and the MIDI adapter cables. Spend more, and you'll get a nicer "action" with velocity AND pressure sensitive keys. Next to a quality sound card and microphone, it will do the most to improve the overall quality of your product.

It's not super cheap, but well worth it, and Christmas ain't that far away!

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
yeah, i'd like to get my hands on one of those :hmm:

playing "keypad" is by far less than ideal :lol:

in the meantime, how's this for a theme?

note, i still got some mixing and fiddling to do... and that's not the whole of it yet... but i think this can give you a good idea of where i'm going with this :cheers:

Attachments

• The Probe!.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 39

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Terrific composition Moach! Seriously, it makes me want to compose my own now :tiphat:

A few critiques, if you don't mind. The chimes in the beginning didn't really do it for me, but I just don't like chimes. The transition was very good, and the part immediately after would be perfect for a launch! My only other criticism is that it is quite a short composition, and could get annoying playing over and over during a mission. Any chances that it'll be longer?

A question now: What software did you use to make it? I am really interested in doing so myself now.

I love the name, by the way!

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
thanks!

it is in fact meant to be longer... this is an "abbridged" version :lol:

i used Steriberg Cubase 5 with EDIROL orchestral VST to make it... i took a while to get used to playing on the PC keyboard, but it's sooo much easier than entering notes via score :rolleyes:

i still have oodles of little things i wanna do with it.... the chimes in the intro really did came out a bit loud in the MP3... but it's a simple mixing issue - not a biggie :hmm:

Columbia42

Reaction score
Just a slight critique, IMHO it would be nice if parts of the composition sounded more majestic and spacey and less like a coronation march. Just my opinion, though.

Tommy

Reaction score
That's a very promising demo. Well written and balanced, with good flow. I didn't find the chimes too loud, but I'm listening with near "reference" quality studio cans. A typical PC speaker set - up or "ear buds" may make them seem too loud, since those speaker/phones have a notorious dead zone in the mid-range, around 1500 to 3500 hz.

I will say I wasn't impressed with the quality of the chime sound. It just sounded shallow and without body. Set against the deep harmonic richness of the other voices, it sounded sort of "low bitrate", if you know what I mean. That may be fixable with some EQ tweaking, or you could try a different sound. Tubular bells may work, they tend to have a richer tone, and at those higher notes they don't over-ring the way they do in the lower registers. It may even help to blend the two sounds to get a good balance.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
a lot of niceness was lost when i crunched it into MP3 :rolleyes: -- things do sound a lot richer with a decent bitrate....

but since this is just a demo, no point in making it into a huge file... i'm not even done writing it yet :lol:

@Columbia - i already though of that, indeed, there will be "calmer" parts - the main theme is more "marchy", obviously... but it's that contrast that makes things interesting :thumbup:

Keatah

Reaction score
The rock one is pretty good. While not qualifying for a theme song the rock version would make totally outstanding music for a typical orbiter video. Really!

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
Here's another attempt at a dedicated Orbiter-theme song. This time it even has lyrics :)

Sonika (mostly since Miku hasn't officially learned to sing in english yet haha :p ) does the singing.

If anybody wants to make an orbiter-video to it and put on their youtube or vimeo or whatever, you are very welcome :)

The lyrics:

i want to orbit, i want to orbit in orbiter.
all around the globe i will go so fast.

i want to orbit, i want to orbit in orbiter.
all around the globe i will go so fast.

spinning weightless, floating weightless now, high above the earth that i see below, so wonderful, it's like a miracle.

i want to orbit, i want to orbit, in orbiter.
all around the globe i will go again.

MP4-audio ((.m4a) right-click to download (it is 100% legal, I own all rights to it)): JEL (featuring Sonika) - OrbiterTribute

The song should be treated like any other Orbiter-addon. This means you can copy, upload and share it, and so on, as long as it is done none-commercially and in the context of Orbiter-sim (which means that you should link to the official orbiter-website (http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk) if you upload the song on youtube etc)
You don't have to ask me permission before making and uploading an orbiter-video of it (IF you want to make one ofcourse). You can do that as you please :)

I hope it's enjoyable :)

(this is Sonika :) )
6%2F4%2FZero-G_Sonika_Close-Up.jpg

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
"Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen
- In orbiter, nothing can stop you (not even Einsteins theory that nothing can travel faster than light)

"Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin
- An eight minute long song, so you can go up to space and back before the song has ended

And of course, everything that Philip Sheppard has composed for the movie "In the Shadow of the Moon". My favourites when playing Orbiter is "X15 Jet" (simulating the joy of spaceflight) and "Go for TLI" (it's just a fantastic song)

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sonika (mostly since Miku hasn't officially learned to sing in english yet haha :p ) does the singing.

Well here's a Miku song about spaceflight (Japanese with English subtitles):
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QzGRpcl-bQ"]Hatsune Miku - Escape (with English subs) - YouTube[/ame]

I used that in my "Space Shuttle Hatsune Miku launch" video that had the editstudio watermarks.

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Needs no explanation - this should be orbiter's theme song.

Should be played whenever we're browsing the start up menu for missions, like FSX.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Campy but pretty good:

I am enjoying the opening from the live action Space Battleship Yamato (a.k.a Star Blazers to U.S. audiences), though it is a bit martial:

The theme to the old Battleship Galactica (1978) is still awesome, though I really like Bear McCreary's work on the more recent series:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzyHxYxc-Mo"]Battlestar Galactica (1978) Theme - YouTube[/ame]