Project Orbiter texture tree tools (OT3)

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi fort.
I have deleted the folder that was in Textures2, called HRow_TexturesOrig.
This contained the old 2009 textures that were to be converted.
So now there are no 2009 style textures in the 2016 install anywhere and no Heathrow config apart from the one in Earth/Base folder, which has no reference to any tiles in it.

The extra tiles are still there at low level, and now Heathrow is covering half of Europe as well at various zoom levels !! :rofl:

Sorry for my confusing english - I'm not good at explaining things simply.

fort

Reaction score
Hi fort.

The extra tiles are still there at low level, and now Heathrow is covering half of Europe as well at various zoom levels !! :rofl:

:facepalm: Curious: i though that we were on the way for a Brexit ...Allo Brighton, JMW have a problem :rofl:

Edit: conversion aborted. Back to treeman.

Last edited:

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Don't mention the "B" word - the idea is not very popular over here.
Can't find anyone who voted for it - surprisingly :hmm:

I don't have a clue mate.

fort

Reaction score
Deleting the textures2 tiles was a test to see if they where responsible for the artefacts. It seems that the problem is not there. Once the conversion made with OT3 you don't need them anymore.

Did you made the conversion from a folder outside of orbiter with a link to textures or textures2 ? I dont think that that could be the reason for your problem but in the meantime, before an answer coming from Face, at your place i will try to make thing in a plain, full conformity, full standard, converting the 2009 surf , with the tiles in Textures.

I'll try to to see if i can help. But to test, i have to go on another hard drive because i'm with with xp ant at first with a 32 bits version ( Face: found texconv.exe working in xp 32 ).So, for tonight...time to sleep.

Good night too JMW.

Last edited:

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks fort.
My eyes are heavy too.

au revoir pour le moment.

fort

Reaction score
Whatever you seem fit. You can also put it up at some website and send me a link.

There is here a zip with only the files necessary for treeman ( Heathrow.cfg and ground dds in textures2 ):

http://ge.tt/2aWTwLh2

uploaded to

http://ge.tt/

JMW: take a look at it and see if it's ok for you.

Last edited:

fort

Reaction score
Sorry, but that doesn't work for me for some reason. I click the download link, but nothing happens. Perhaps the work network access :shrug: . Will try later at home.

There is something unclear this morning on ge.tt ( a sort of nag screen or alert for security warning but not always i tried three times and it's the first time i see that) but there was no problem for me at first ( with my first post; i always trythe effectivity of my links) and just now.

Edit:
But it's only for a test: i mean, if the dds files in the new JMW project are the same that the one's in the 2009 Heathrow.

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
But it's only for a test: i mean, if the dds files in the new JMW project are the same that the one's in the 2009 Heathrow.

Well, I'd really like to reproduce the strange results of JMW. For that it is best to also use his files.

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi Face n fort.
These zips contain the tiles and HRow TexturesOrig2 has the config file.
Note: I've left the references to the surface tiles in there (just in case)

Thanks very much you two for your work on this. :cheers:

Attachments

• HRow_TexturesOrig.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • HRow_TexturesOrig2.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 6

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hi Face n fort.
These zips contain the tiles and HRow TexturesOrig2 has the config file.
Note: I've left the references to the surface tiles in there (just in case)

Thanks very much you two for your work on this. :cheers:

There is no config file in there. I suppose the second ZIP has the first ZIP embedded, but there is no config file anywhere.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Got your Heathrow files and tested them in 2010:

Clipboard01.jpg

Those textures cover a large swat across the UK.
2016 high resolution textures are almost as good for most of that area, so you can edit out of the base .cfg all tiles bellow 4.

On my 2016 I already have a basic "London" base, so I only need to run Treeman and convert the tiles:
Code:
treeman D:\jogos\Orbiter2016_base\Textures\Earth Surf -b D:\jogos\Orbiter2015_test\Config\Earth\Base\Heathrow.cfg D:\jogos\Orbiter2015_test\Textures2 -y > surf.txt
treeman D:\jogos\Orbiter2016_base\Textures\Earth Surf -i -F surf.txt
(on my machine orbiter2015 = Orbiter 2010)

I get:
0022.jpg

So it seems to work just fine.
Just keep all 2010 stuff on your 2010 folder. The only thing you need to copy is the base configuration. Nothing else.
The 2016 tiles will always be visible if you move into their location.

Last edited:

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok, I'll give it another go when I can.

Can't say I agree that 2016 tiles are as detailed, especially west of england.

There might not be much of interest, but the reason they were included that far was it gave a nice flightpath into the airport.

Suppose it's just a choice.

Thanks for trying it through.

Last edited:

fort

Reaction score
Ok, I'll give it another go when I can.

I had tested night textures a few years ago on the London area and Heathrow, in a context of configuration quite different from that of Orbiter 2016. In this circumstance, I had been taking a look at your addon , for buildings and radar dish, but I also saw your soil textures, which were not very good, for the bigger one, for this reason, that in this place, Google presents images with two different shades. They need a rework to be correct. Bing, is, in this place, of better quality.

Last edited:

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
That's nice fort.

When I said I'd have another go at it I mean't the conversion.
Redoing the textures, which I agree is needed, is a whole other ball game !

Giving it enough time is my problem.:download:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Old 2010 level 4 tiles should be better than high-res 2016.
Level 3 would be more or less the same.

When I have time I'll try to convert some larger areas sourced from here:
https://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/SearchPhotos/ShowQueryResults-ResponsiveImageGallery.pl?results=148007248430401

Pretty decent imagery that we can use:
ISS017-E-5498.JPG

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Sorry about that - dunno why

Link to config (Hopefully)

https://mega.nz/#!318AUDIT!cknYwaxV7GD3na7OX-A73eXXTdRK6EjiB3Yd1Z91oCY

Thanks. I was able to reproduce your problem. It comes from the -i option (the second treeman command line). Obviously there is some error in it that shows up if more than 1 layer is addressed in the input file (surf.txt in your case).

In the mean-time, I'd recommend to split the input file according to layers, then integrate them from low to high, while not overwriting files in the higher resolution runs. Using this, I was able to produce this result: http://snoopie.at/face/beta/heathSurf.zip

In 2010 without textures:
heath2010notex.jpg

In 2010 with textures:
heath2010tex.jpg

In 2010 full scale:
heath2010full.jpg

In 2016 full scale:
heath2016full.jpg

In 2016 on base:
heath2016tex.jpg

However, it clearly shows that there is one operation missing: integrating upwards. If the higher resolution layers of a base do not cover all the tiles touched by lower resolution layers, you'll get "holes" while zooming in. I think this is because Orbiter loads lower-resolution tiles (for a "hole" in the needed resolution) from the archive instead of the cache. I consider that a bug in Orbiter and will investigate further before I report it to martins. Edit: scratch that. It is simply the same problem 4throck demonstrated with Gran Canaria, just with integration: it takes the archive tiles instead of available cache tiles.

Last edited: