Orbiter Screenshot Thread

romanasul

Reaction score
I can't wait to stress test it with my Lunar Station.
Dantassii
HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder

Yeah, I saw that thing. Very impressive. I haven't really built anything that big. The Iss is the largest I have built in Orbiter. I haven't played with IMS in years, how's the current version holding up? I'm in the year 2024 in my current simulation and when I get to the 2030s I want to build a Mars transfer vehicle.

Dantassii

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that thing. Very impressive. I haven't really built anything that big. The Iss is the largest I have built in Orbiter. I haven't played with IMS in years, how's the current version holding up? I'm in the year 2024 in my current simulation and when I get to the 2030s I want to build a Mars transfer vehicle.

IMS 1.0 for Orbiter 2010 is pretty stable. There are some gotchas with my Lunar Station that cause Orbiter to CTD that are related to what the Simulation does when there are 2000+ individual ships flying around docked to each other. FPS is around 18 on my high end system. But it works. :)

Dantassii

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
Playing around with the wheely thing
ScFwaQT.jpg

Last edited:

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Makes me feel right at home. Almost (I'm from Palmdale... AF Plant 42, where the shuttle used to land for repairs, is there; it used to fly right over my house. But still, part of the same valley; I used to hear the sonic booms all day long when I was a kid and the test flying was really in high gear.)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Makes me feel right at home. Almost (I'm from Palmdale... AF Plant 42, where the shuttle used to land for repairs, is there;
Only extensive mods took place there. Repairs and other routine maintenance were done in the OPFs at KSC. At least they did up to 2001 when all the work was moved to KSC. Columbia was the last orbiter to undergo an Orbiter Major Modification (OMM) down time at Palmdale (1999-2001). Starting with Discovery's post-STS-105 OMM (2002-2004), all that work was done in one of the OPFs.

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Only extensive mods took place there. Repairs and other routine maintenance were done in the OPFs at KSC. At least they did up to 2001 when all the work was moved to KSC. Columbia was the last orbiter to undergo an Orbiter Major Modification (OMM) down time at Palmdale (1999-2001). Starting with Discovery's post-STS-105 OMM (2002-2004), all that work was done in one of the OPFs.

It was still impressive when it flew over. And of course the SCA would make touch and go landings there, as well as a host of military craft: C-130s, C-5As, B1s, B2's, TR-1's, F-117A's... Lockheed's Skunkworks is there as well... so a lot of inspiration for me as a kid. (My dad worked at the Regional Air Traffic Control Center just south of the plant. Memories.)

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
That 29/30 runway quality looks real bad ;)

The problem is that the whole spaceport is sitting on a slope, and the 30 runway is more or less following the steepest descent direction. I can't really flatten it without either excavating one end or raising the other end on a platform, both of which look bad. Allowing the slope to persist means that there will be discontinuities in the surface gradient, because of the current 1 meter elevation granularity. This isn't a trivial problem to solve, so for now the runway will remain a bit bumpy.

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The problem is that the whole spaceport is sitting on a slope, and the 30 runway is more or less following the steepest descent direction. I can't really flatten it without either excavating one end or raising the other end on a platform, both of which look bad. Allowing the slope to persist means that there will be discontinuities in the surface gradient, because of the current 1 meter elevation granularity. This isn't a trivial problem to solve, so for now the runway will remain a bit bumpy.

Welcome to the Antelope Valley. :p

If you happen to throw in AF Plant 42, at least it's on level ground...

Col_Klonk

Reaction score

Just wondering...
Is there a way to bump the resolution of runways/launch areas up when close,
something similar to the current effects, but obviously with more accuracy. ?

Which probably means having two sets of meshes for a small area!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Would it maybe be a possible solution to define a runway mask for tiles? Like a "Flatten rectangle" operator that is performed on terrain tiles below a runway, so that in result fraction terrain heights are interpolated.

hutchison66

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
LC39A and LC39B for Shuttle Fleet

Hi there, almost ready to release my new Launch Pad for Shuttle Fleet nearly Ready

LC39B.jpg

LC39B-2.jpg

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Would it maybe be a possible solution to define a runway mask for tiles? Like a "Flatten rectangle" operator that is performed on terrain tiles below a runway, so that in result fraction terrain heights are interpolated.

Too bad he can't factor in the 40mph gusting crosswinds that are a regular feature of the Antelope Valley. ;)