Orbiter Screenshot Thread

romanasul

Reaction score
Looks good!
You should use the "Columbia_original" texture (or whatever it's called) in the mission file (check the manual on how to do that), to have the correct look on the orbiter. :thumbup:

You're right, I forgot about that.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Wow!! New textures!!

8qZB6Lu.png

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
It is a fictional space program? Some details on it?
I apologize if you have already talked about it...

Sorry for my late reply!
No problem, will be happy to explain.

PE stands for Pangea Expedition. Pangea is a fictional lunar base that is being build and maintained by various space agencies, including my own VSA: Multinational Space Agency.
PE-3 is being flown before PE-2 due to improved planning, and is flown by NASA hardware (but, this flight has MSA astronauts).
PE-1 was flown a little over a year ago (August last year) so it's been some time since I've visited the base.
PE-2 (ESA hardware and astronauts) will fly in Q1 of 2016.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Nicer and nicer.

Roughly ten years ago :

orbiter.jpg

Some progress, huh ? :blink:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
STS-9 mission simulated as realistically as possible within Orbiter, thanks to all the creators of SSU, it's an amazing achievement. Also thanks to David413 for his Spacelab update.

No exploding APUs included. :lol:

romanasul

Reaction score
Even with the powerful Jarvis M rocket, the Uranus Pathfinder took over 10 years to reach its distant destination. But now, the exploration of the Uranus system can begin.

Nikogori

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
orbinautjp.github.io
Orbiter2015 r.44 Earth to Mars flight
UOjTjrb.jpg

RkBhIkB.jpg

IbzENOX.jpg

TIEaDwQ.jpg

TCoEldC.jpg

I didn't experience any CTD during the flight. Enjo's updated TransX works fine.
I found hover autopilot for Orbiter 2015 is quite useful for descent. All you have to do is set desired vertical speed and wait. This makes vertical landing really easy.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Put me down for team "Mars should be a bit redder." ;)

Even with the powerful Jarvis M rocket, the Uranus Pathfinder took over 10 years to reach its distant destination. But now, the exploration of the Uranus system can begin.

Did you design the mission yourself? Did you sling Jupiter or go direct? Flyby or Orbit?

I think you can pull it off with the cheaper Jarvis-E.

K_Jameson

Reaction score

OMG! You have preceeded my "Shakespeare/Pope" spacecraft (that is here)!

:thumbup::thumbup:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Third time's a charm.

Attachments

• Deke_Slayton2.jpg
    Deke_Slayton2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 56

K_Jameson

Reaction score

:yes:
In fact, for an Uranus transfer via Jupiter slingshot, a Jarvis E should be enough. For my Shakespeare/Pope mission, the selected launcher is the even smaller Jarvis C, but my spacecraft is barely over 2,000 Kg. I think that the Uranus Pathfinder spacecraft should be a bit heavier, if I recall correctly... :hmm:

Jarvis M is required for massive spacecrafts: specifically designed for the lunar transfer mission of our Antares manned spacecraft, in the interplanetary role it allows the delivery of the massive, 12.7 tons, Galileo II Jupiter orbiter via direct Hohmann transfer.

Anyway... that probe seems one of the "Chapman" series... I don't recall if has enough propellant and thrust for the UOI maneuvre. It was a flyby mission?

Last edited:

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Anyway... that probe seems one of the "Chapman" series... I don't recall if has enough propellant and thrust for the UOI maneuvre. It was a flyby mission?

All the Chapman Probes (except for those with ion engine) have a [math]\Delta v[/math] of slightly less than 3000 m/s.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
All the Chapman Probes (except for those with ion engine) have a [math]\Delta v[/math] of slightly less than 3000 m/s.

Apperò!

(a common Italian exclamation that can be roughly translated in: "wow!")

romanasul

Reaction score
Put me down for team "Mars should be a bit redder." ;)

Did you design the mission yourself? Did you sling Jupiter or go direct? Flyby or Orbit?

I designed the mission myself (with the help of Piper and Asbjos of course for their Chapman Probes), I was thinking of launching with the Atlas V 551 and doing several gravity assists of Earth, Venus, and Jupiter and then a few gravity assists of Titania to slow down around Uranus because the spacecraft has around 3 km/s of delta v for manoeuvres. But since in the real life uranus pathfinder mission they're thinking of possibly using the SLS rocket I decided to use the extremely powerful Jarvis M in a direct launch to Uranus, the Jarvis E wouldn't be able to do a direct transfer. I also specifically launched with a long travel time in order to keep the encounter velocity at Uranus as low as possible, I actually barely had enough propellant on board the Chapman Outer probe to successfully enter an orbit around Uranus and also do a few close flybys of Titania.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
rfWODB8.png

So I just learned that
has been announced.

(It'll likely be a PS4 exclusive, and I don't plan on buying the current-gen consoles. I haven't played Ace Combat 4 or 5 for the PS2 in over a year. And I still have yet to play Zero.)

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Wednesday, if all goes well.

Attachments

• CygnusE_berthed.jpg
    CygnusE_berthed.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 92

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
Well, I've spent a few afternoons thrashing my net connection with all of the latest beta goodies, and I can safely say it was worth it... Good grief. This is the little LOW-res Mars terrain: I don't actually ever want to use time acceleration on slow atmospheric flights now...

Heading past Pavonis Mons, flying from Olympus base to the Marineris base:
klVXiM9.jpg

The new additions to the DG's 3D cockpit are amazing. It now has the same feel as the Arrow's cockpit - you're actually sitting there doing something, keeping an eye on the dials and things. Little things like the multicolour storm lights and the retractable HUD really add to the ambiance. Epic!

Heading into Valles Marineris, just over the beautifully named (and looking!) Noctis Labyrinthus. Sadly no shots of the mission end, I kinda forgot that when flying through the thin Martian atmosphere it takes a heck of a long distance to stop... :lol:
8KGipJ1.jpg

It is so weird seeing Brighton Beach next to huge hills and ravines after years of it being on a flat plain! You suddenly realise why it's on something called a "Promontory":
FSGSIis.png

Clever base design on the new incarnation: there are buildings buried on the north-facing side of that big ravine next door, nice bit of cheap radiation protection/sheltering.