IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
The bird has wings ! ;) They don't automatically track the Sun (for now), but can be oriented manually (so the anim is ready).

The panels don't unfold the most realistic way ever (panel by panel, while an "accordion" move would be better), but that's simpler that way ;)

z4KSNuW.jpg

D3D9 client "debug tools" are a life saver when it comes to identify meshgroups :)hail: jarmonik).

Next I think I'll go for a basic CMG implementation, and try my luck at Sun-tracking. Oh and particle effects for the thrusters instead of the "plasma flame".

A "Hall-effect thrusters" version could be interesting, too, but would require a lot of patience as those things have an incredibly low thrust.

That's quick development!
691910602160022853.jpg

Great work! :cheers:

Just did a quick Gemini flight, then reentered and decided to (literately) throw in a carrier and helicopter:

NO4C3Zs.jpg

sPBjQ1m.jpg

eCE8Wa6.jpg

DXinhaM.jpg

W0D4HdL.jpg

rsBIqUt.jpg

CUMexRO.jpg

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That's quick development!

Well, I'm done with the (basic) CMG orientation mode, there's a RCS/CMG switch key. The main point of the CMG is to allow you to "lock" an orientation without spending RCS fuel. Its very weak and doing a manoeuver with it takes ages if not eons. After all that class of heavy GEO satellites are built to stay operational for 15 years or so.

Ideally, the system should switch to a "Thorton ISSR-like CMG simulation (TM)" to keep the satellite pointed to the center of the Earth regardless of the time acceleration or focus but well, that's not-so-easy and will be for later.

The particle effects for RCS are done too.

I'll try to release a v0.8 "X-Mas beta" before the 25th. For that I have to :

- Fix an annoying scaling problem (I made the satellite too big to fit inside a 5m wide fairing, and this is quite exactly the kind of payload fit for an Atlas 500-series or comparable launchers). I have to multiply all my values by 2/3, basically, which will be a bit tedious.
- Implement, if not "solar arrays Sun-tracking", a "Earth night-cone check" and a basic electrical management system (for the CMG and player control if anything else !). Already did that a couple of times, so I'm rather confident there.

Should be doable :yes:

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Here's a shot of my Energia-M hauling Yuri's Tranzit tug up to LEO.
I'd though it could be SSTO. Put it into a 310 x 210 orbit.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-12-23 21.41.47.png
    Screenshot 2014-12-23 21.41.47.png
    510.7 KB · Views: 78

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Uploaded "OrbiComm v0.8" to OrbitHangar. Merry X-Mas and I hope everything will work fine :hailprobe:

Edit : uploaded v0.81, missing mesh issue fixed.

Last edited:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Indeed, Nvidia's Dynamic Super Resoluton help quite a lot in Orbiter (above is regular 1080p, below is 4K super sampled) :
DeepstarSaturn1080.png

DeepstarSaturn4K.png

As you can see, even using D3D9's antialiasing, that the 4K downsampled picture has much better edges. Stars are also fainter too, because of how supersampling works. But look, Titan is all pretty, and Saturn is more detailled !

LMearth1080.png

LMearth4K.png

Not much differences here, except that the Earth appears to have more clouds.

sitha241

Reaction score
I have been away from Orbiter for some time (life stuff) and week ago I installed 2015 version and d3d9 and it is awesome!
Anyway since I have 2 7" tablets I installed VNC MFD (yes It works in 2015 I can confirm) and enjoyed some nice view of earth :)
Tnx kamaz for addon!
:tiphat:

10933228_844154102274304_800152472_n.jpg
10928805_844154092274305_179982587_n.jpg

T1234

Reaction score
Bumpmapped and contrasted textures for mimas,Tethys and Rhea.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

and Dione
picture.php

Last edited:

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Improved Water for D3D9

A Screenshot from a reworked water rendering...

Attachments

• D3D9.jpg
    D3D9.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 144

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A Screenshot from a reworked water rendering...

Now we need to scroll UVW map of water part of the texture and we have moving waves.

... yes. Sometimes I'm dreaming too far.

malisle

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I know almost nothing about rendering of water, so, can someone explain to me where exactly are the limits of Orbiter in regards to water realism?

Would something like this be applicable in Orbiter?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I know almost nothing about rendering of water, so, can someone explain to me where exactly are the limits of Orbiter in regards to water realism?

Well, the first thing is that, AFAIK, the Orbiter engine has (yet) no way to "know" what is water (or any liquid for other planetary bodies) and what isn't. For now there's only the "surface", and latest updates just gave a way for the engine to deal with terrain elevation, which is great already. So water is really "only" a texture.

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

I have been away from Orbiter for some time (life stuff) and week ago I installed 2015 version and d3d9 and it is awesome!

Anyway since I have 2 7" tablets I installed VNC MFD (yes It works in 2015 I can confirm) and enjoyed some nice view of earth

Nice setup, just be sure to hide your VISA # when you take pics (well, that's safe here, don't worry). ;)

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

Yesterday, a week after the initial launch date, MSS expedition 2 took off from Cape Canaveral.

Classy ! :thumbup: