Next up, Jupiter. :cheers:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
picture.php

SAILOR NEPTUNE!
Next up, Jupiter. :cheers:
Have you tried merging your additions to the existing repaint kit instead of just drawing over the old textures? Your skins look awkward without any panel lines or weathering or any details at all on the top hull. :tiphat:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Have you tried merging your additions to the existing repaint kit instead of just drawing over the old textures? Your skins look awkward without any panel lines or weathering or any details at all on the top hull. :tiphat:

This is how I do it:
I take the default XR2 texture and edit out the logos using the copy/paste (for the tail), clone, and heal tools.

Then, I put that as the bottom layer in the XR2 repaint kit. The layer (with my coloring) above it is set to "multiply," which is why it blends/merges.

Last edited:

Relayer91

Reaction score
Relayer91, I'm just starting to fly the Shuttle and I'd like to know whether, in your opinion, it's preferable to fly it in Orbiter2006 with the FCS or in the 2010 version without the FCS.

Thanks in advance.

Well, depends on how much you actually like flying. There's no doubt that using AutoFCS is easier - and to some degree more realistic too, as real shuttle re-entries are controlled by the DAP autopilot.

However, I fly 2010 without the FCS. It takes a bit of practice to get it right - I must have flown about 10 or so failed re-entries one after the other before I 'got' it, and even now I might still mess one up every so often (maybe 1 in 15-20) by losing too much energy - so make sure you quicksave after your deorbit burn so you can fly it again if you screw it up.

That's the thing about doing them manually - you sort of have to make an educated guess about how much roll to put into your S-turns (which directly affects how much vertical acceleration you have - more upright, more lift going upwards).

With practice you learn to judge it more or less correctly, although I have OPS 3, Aerobrake and Surface MFDs open to help me.

OPS 3 allows me to judge how much drag I'm creating and how much that is in relation to what I 'should' be creating.

Aerobrake is invaluable, as when coming out of an S-turn whether I can simply glide to the runway or whether I'm still too fast and need to burn off more energy. Incredibly useful for judging how much α you need to be right on the money for making it to the TAEM area.

Surface MFD is equally indispensable, as for most of the re-entry I use the orbital HUD mode to better judge how much I'm rolling and pitching in my S-turns. Velocity, altitude and vertical acceleration are the key things to keep an eye on.

My main re-entry method uses a 'skip' method whereby I'll do maybe one or two S-turns which burns off quite a lot of energy (judge it so you don't burn up. ShuttleFleet comes with nice big alarms to let you know when it's getting a bit hot) and then rolling more upright, directing me back upwards into the atmosphere with a lot less velocity. From then, using Aerobrake I can simply glide back in to the TAEM without any further S-turns, in a parabolic arc. I believe the real procedure is to do 4 S-turns, but this method reliably works for me.

Hope this helped, if you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
...I am using the paint kit...

Relayer91

Reaction score
STS-98, carrying the Destiny lab to the ISS.

FWOOOOOOOSH! - looking back at the pads.
Scrshot10.jpg

Docked to PMA-3, PMA-2 has been relocated to the Z1 truss.
Scrshot14.jpg

Destiny attached to Unity
Scrshot15.jpg

ISS after PMA-2 was attached to Destiny
Scrshot19.jpg

Oriented for re-entry, just over Northern Australia
Scrshot30.jpg

I can see KSC! I've still got energy and altitude! I didn't screw up! :-D
Scrshot37.jpg

Relayer91

Reaction score
STS-102, carrying the Leonardo MPLM and equipment for outfitting the Destiny lab brought up on STS-98.

Yet another launch picture.
Scrshot27.jpg

And yet another SRB separation picture.
Scrshot37.jpg

Approaching the ISS, not quite the 'standard' rotation I imagine.
Scrshot47.jpg

PMA-3 has been moved from Unity's nadir port to the port port, to make way for the MPLM attached to the RMS.
Scrshot59.jpg

Outfitting Destiny on a busy EVA. Here the LCA - Lab Cradle Assembly is being attached.
Scrshot60.jpg

ISS the day before undocking, just about to stow the MPLM for the ride home.
Scrshot62.jpg

S-turning over North America
Scrshot72.jpg

Right on the money - happy landings!
Scrshot79.jpg

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I just checked and the paint kit doesn't have a layer that adds the panels, weathering etc. :shrug:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I just checked and the paint kit doesn't have a layer that adds the panels, weathering etc. :shrug:

Well, I came here to fix that (hopefully, it works):
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5380"]XR2 new paint kit (with panels and weathering)[/ame]

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Miku Append XR5

mikuappendXR5.PNG

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5381"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5381[/ame]

SandroSalgueiro

Reaction score
Relayer, here are some quick questions:

What are proper altitudes to start and to end the S-turns and with how much DELAZ I should stop banking on one side and start banking on the other?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Kagamine Rin/Len Append XR5

kagaminerinlenappendXR5.PNG

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5382"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5382[/ame]

And that's it for the "Character Vocal series!" (for now)

jedimaster1214

CDR-LMP-CMP
Reaction score
Current WIP:

11.08.05%2000-01-50%20GL-01.jpg

Some of the values need to be tweaked, other than that, it'll be good to go.... :thumbup:

Last edited: