Orbiter installation poll

How should the next Orbiter version be installed?

• Like before, by unpacking a zip file

Votes: 118 74.7%
  • With a self-extracting exe file

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • With a dedicated installer/uninstaller

Votes: 30 19.0%

• Total voters

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
From the answers so far I take it that the current installation method is fine, or at least not a priority.
About addon management: I guess this could be implemented independently of the orbiter core, so doesn't necessarily have to involve me. I know that some people already use some generic package management system for their addons. Is there any additional functionality required that is not provided by these utilities and that would necessitate a dedicated orbiter package manager?

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
for me, main issue with addons (other than overlapping files) is when addon requires editing one of orbiter's config file.
This is especially annoying with additional base addons - when adding a texture to a base list requires editing base.cfg.

Why not make a special folder for textures used for bases? Then Orbiter could scan it for textures list, instead of scanning config file.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
for me, main issue with addons (other than overlapping files) is when addon requires editing one of orbiter's config file.
This is especially annoying with additional base addons - when adding a texture to a base list requires editing base.cfg.

Why not make a special folder for textures used for bases? Then Orbiter could scan it for textures list, instead of scanning config file.

This is a whole lot better than it used to be, you used to have to add the base name to the earth.cfg

On the install issue, how about both?, a zip archive and a exe installer, blender does this now.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score

To address these issues, I like Artlav's suggestion - provided the structure could be made backward compatible (doable I think, but more work for Martin).

Quick_Nick said:
If someone has hopes of figuring out Orbiter, they should be able to figure out how to get a compressed file open, especially if given instructions.
The "Great Filter" of Orbiter ;)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I prefer the current method, but I'm open to other methods so long as I can still have multiple copies installed, and it doesn't write to the registry. I like to have one general purpose copy, one for add-on development and testing, and maybe one for say, pure "AMSO-only", etc.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
One thing about addon packages comes to mind. To help make addons' files recognized to whatever management system Orbiter might use, why not have addons get a list of all files in the addon itself. I don't use any mod-enabler so I have no idea how those work. But perhaps something in XML or even just a basic text file list of all the files included with an addon. The only problem is this creates lots of extra work for the devloper which is why this should be optional.
Yes, it's late and I'm tired and Orbiter-deprived right now so if this doesn't make sense, I can clean it up tomorrow :p

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I know that some people already use some generic package management system for their addons. Is there any additional functionality required that is not provided by these utilities and that would necessitate a dedicated orbiter package manager?
I don't think so, as the conventions are simple and documented. Besides, you're pulling out a big chunk of code from the core; no need to add more.

My only (minor) trouble spot is that its sometimes hard to find configs in the config folder. Maybe a set of subfolders for core and addons, or bodies, vessels and other to organize things a little more would be helpful. Definitely not a priority as (after a year) I still have more trouble flying it than managing it. Zip file is perfectly fine.

Biscuit

Donator
Reaction score
Plain ol' Zip file is good for me. Why change something that works so well? :)

As for new features, the only thing I could think of would be a decent offline scenario editor. If it had some simple visual capabilities that would be good too (maybe only show the 5 or 10km around a picked base, no textures, no shading, drag-n-drop item placement, or a simple orbit-mfd like view for orbital items). Graphics quality wouldn't be an issue, but it seems it would be easier to put a scenario together with some simple visuals to help.

Other than that, this is an absolutely WONDERFUL program. Thank you Dr Schweiger (and all of the add-on developers) for all your hard work.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
I like the zip file myself, just open it, dump it into a folder and you're away, reminds me of the old amiga days in a way. More programs should work like this!

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I like the zip file myself, just open it, dump it into a folder and you're away, reminds me of the old amiga days in a way. More programs should work like this!

Second that.
There is ONE other program I know that works like that, and that's another sim...:blink:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I prefer the current method, but I'm open to other methods so long as I can still have multiple copies installed, and it doesn't write to the registry. I like to have one general purpose copy, one for add-on development and testing, and maybe one for say, pure "AMSO-only", etc.

Same here. As long as multiple installs are possible, i'm open to new installers (although I strongly prefer the current method). I have a general-purpose Orbiter in which I put the DeltaII missions, Russian Space Program, etc., one for AMSO, one for NASSP, and one for the Shuttle Fleet (which I would eliminate if AutoFCS didn't need the folder to be named OrbiterSTS).

And with the add-ons being in zip format, I can only unzip them to the installation where they go. I prefer this method to using the JSGME, because I have to first remember to activate an add-on in the enabler, then if its module-based, I have to remember to activate it in Orbiter also. But that's just my method of doing it. Others may have what they feel is a more efficient process.

adamb193

Lighting Geek
Reaction score
Please leave it the same I have XP and I am not an administrator, I can't even install fonts on the computer, let alone a program.

SlyCoopersButt

Reaction score
I'm fine with an installer but only if we also have the option of using a Zip instead too. There's many advantages to Zips for me.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I also agree fully with Dave and Sly.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
My Computer cant do it any other way than the first option.

Lunchbox

Reaction score
I like the zip method because it is just so easy to put together and get started, as well as adding new ships and other add-ons

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I prefer stick shifts to automatics - and I feel the same with zip files.

Please keep it in the same format (i.e. zip file).