Orbiter and NASSP using UDP, question.

musashi

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm working on a project in which I need to use Orbiter as a real time visualization tool for the LM landing(phase 17 Before lunar liftoff on NASSP).
To be more precise, I have all the physics running on another software connected to Virtual AGG and I need to send all these data to Orbiter using UDP protocol.
Of course I know I have to use winsock, but I am a total noob with orbiter and I don't know how to separate the visual part of it from its physics.

NASSP cockpit is perfect and I'd like to use its FDAI, ALT, ALT RATE, LUNAR CONTACT(these data comes always from the physics software). Obviously before all of this I need to make the LM move with rotations and translations(rod up and down).

So questions are: how to separate orbiter from its physics? Won't it be a problem using NASSP with my physics software once I made orbiter communicate with UDP right?

Thank you in advance!

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm not sure you can separate the Orbiter physics from the visual aspects of it. I guess it would be possible to force a vessel to a specific position, velcocity and attitude all the time, but it sounds like a hassle.

NASSP is open source, so you can use its code and assets etc. within the limitation of the license, so it almost sounds like you would be better off using bits and pieces of NASSP for you own simulation!? But I don't have a full picture of what you want to do. NASSP is quite integrated into Orbiter though. Do you also have the Virtual AGC running separately or do you want to connect your physics simulation to the Virtual AGC in NASSP/Orbiter?

musashi

Reaction score
I'm not sure you can separate the Orbiter physics from the visual aspects of it. I guess it would be possible to force a vessel to a specific position, velcocity and attitude all the time, but it sounds like a hassle.

For me forcing the vessel to a specific position would be great because is one of the data I receive from the physics software (I also receive velocity and attitude).
What I'm worried about is orbiter's physics that could interfere with position, velocity and attitude that comes from the UDP bridge.

NASSP is open source, so you can use its code and assets etc. within the limitation of the license, so it almost sounds like you would be better off using bits and pieces of NASSP for you own simulation!? But I don't have a full picture of what you want to do. NASSP is quite integrated into Orbiter though. Do you also have the Virtual AGC running separately or do you want to connect your physics simulation to the Virtual AGC in NASSP/Orbiter?
I have Virtual AGC running separately communicating with the physics software.