Software Orbiter add-ons and Security Software

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
So, the latest version of Norton ran an autoscan of my system last night and flagged TransX, precessionMFD, and glideslope2 as viruses. :facepalm:

Obviously, I don't think that these are viruses. I can unquarantine them myself.

However, I wanted to start a thread dedicated to heads-ups, tips, etc. regarding internet security software and Orbiter add-ons.

Orbiter being what it is, add-ons are not being developed "professionally," and files are distributed in relatively low numbers to this small community. Therefore, orbinauts can expect trouble from anti-virus programs that use "trustworthyness" as a metric in threat assessment. (Who exactly decided that Google, Microsoft, etc. are trustworthy, I am not sure)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Orbiter being what it is, add-ons are not being developed "professionally," and files are distributed in relatively low numbers to this small community. Therefore, orbinauts can expect trouble from anti-virus programs that use "trustworthyness" as a metric in threat assessment. (Who exactly decided that Google, Microsoft, etc. are trustworthy, I am not sure)

More important: Who decided that Norton is trustworthy there? I had a few suspicions of my AV software on AMSO, but the software usually simply asks for sending a copy of the suspicious files to the lab for further analysis and then stops bothering me in the future about the files.

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Two of my add-ons (VNCMFD and master/slave) run network servers, so (1) your firewall may complain and (2) you may have to add firewall exceptions.

Also, I have noticed that with my add-ons, animation in Orbiter becomes jerky if ESET firewall is enabled -- I think it's blocking Orbiter while inspecting the network traffic.

(NOTE to firewall developers -- a non-blocking sendto() call is supposed to be, well, non-blocking. It is supposed to return immediately, not hang just because your firewall wants to inspect my traffic. K THX BYE.)

hutchison66

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Norton security

Hi watched a video on Norton today was about .dll imported into Paint.net and it said somebodies bright idea that all modules are considered unsafe and even in paint.net they have problems.
Norton and windows 8.1 are very connected and you have to unquarantine them manually understand why but annoying
can safely say this will be the same problem with Windows 10 as well
david

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Huh. The last time I used a Norton product was probably 1995. I had Norton Utilities on my old DOS 5.0 machine. Norton stuff was useful in those days, but I hear not so much anymore.

hutchison66

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Norton internet security

HI yeah normally not what I would not use but it came included with my HP Pavillion

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
But it's just a 30-days trial, isn't it?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Had a lot of Norton/Synertec? stuff, and did follow it. You have to trust some company and it seems to have worked.
N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Little do you know ;)

I know enough to tell, that even developing custom drivers for the Raspberry Pi is more work than I would do in my free time. And especially developing custom drivers that are also architecturally secure and not full of easily and not so easily spotted vulnerabilities that the standard drivers no longer have.

PS: When I was way younger, I had already developed professional drivers with the Windows (2000) DDK. Its no job for stupidity.

Last edited:

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
And you assume everyone else is inferior... I actually started giving you the benefit of the doubt... I no longer need too.

Cheers...:thumbup:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And you assume everyone else is inferior...

No. I assume that everyone who is talking nonsense like that is inferior. That is way more qualified.

Also, I don't try to do recommendations to people, that are expecting them to REALLY understand the system and know what they are doing.

Its like recommending fixing your cars brakes yourself. If you know what you are doing and are using proper tools and parts, its safe. But if not, your life might be too short to learn how stupid you have been.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well Avira moved Orbiter_ng.exe automatically to quarantine each time I ran it... It won its one-way uninstall ticket. Other antiviruses report nothing on it.