Software Orbiter add-ons and Security Software

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well Avira moved Orbiter_ng.exe automatically to quarantine each time I ran it... It won its one-way uninstall ticket. Other antiviruses report nothing on it.

No issues with my Avira here. It only complained about AMSO in one version.

Keatah

Reaction score
I like nag-free and stutter-free computing. Therefore I don't use any security suites or anti-virus or anti-malware. Nothing beyond the built-in windows firewall and router settings.

Haven't had an issue since 2008, and even back then it was only after visiting a nefarious site. I simply restored from an image and continued right along.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I like nag-free and stutter-free computing. Therefore I don't use any security suites or anti-virus or anti-malware. Nothing beyond the built-in windows firewall and router settings.

Haven't had an issue since 2008, and even back then it was only after visiting a nefarious site. I simply restored from an image and continued right along.

The last active trojan I discovered arrived on my previous PC in 2012 or so by a zero-day exploit of a Windows 7 vulnerability, that was existing in nearly all Windows versions since 2000. When reading heise news about the new threat, I used the Windows Debugger for searching for hints of it in the kernel, discovered signs, switched to a Linux boot DVD, found the trojan, killed it and life went on.

Eventually the vulnerability was fixed and my Virus scanner discovered the remains of the dead trojan and removed them completely.

Now more issues since then. I collected a few poor attempts of getting a virus on my PC, including hiding it as poorly faked "Oracle Java Runtime Update". The toughest task was to explain the Virus scanner that this directory on my external HDD should not be scanned because it included my collection of live specimen and interesting fragments of them.

Since I have a properly paid job, I don't use a free virus scanner, I pay for my license and don't get nagged ... only a friendly neutral reminder after two years to renew the license or recommendations to switch to the new major version. Exactly the amount of nagging that I like to see as admin.

The case for a virus scanner on my end is also not because of I can't do it better. I can. I just don't want to. My calculation is simply like that: The Windows 10 now catches about 70% of all infection attempts (For example by affiliate ads on serious homepages). The virus Scanner another 25% more than windows does. The remaining 5% is up to me. 5% is better than 100% or 30%, if you have better things to do with your life than doing repetitive tasks that a virus scanner can do better.

Last edited: