Orbiter 2016

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Flying at 30km altitude over the moon, on the D3D9 client, with the hi-res pack installed is simply jaw-droppingly gorgeous. Magnificent desolation.

Has anyone landed on Edwards 22L yet? There's a hill right in the middle of the runway, enough that on roll-out you crash into it!

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Flying at 30km altitude over the moon, on the D3D9 client, with the hi-res pack installed is simply jaw-droppingly gorgeous. Magnificent desolation.

Yes. I know. I've been flying lower than that since RC1.

Magnificent Desolation INDEED!:cheers:

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Noticed a issue with Shuttle Fleet 4.8; anytime I launch, the shuttle stack topples over as soon as the main engines ignite............
What am I missing here ?

Just read through previous posts and I have to agree; without David's fleet I have no use for Orbiter 2016; SSU is way too complicated and I have too much invested in Fleet 4.8.
Shuttle fleet 4.8 is a legendary add-on and that should have been taken into account.........

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I have too much invested in Fleet 4.8.
Shuttle fleet 4.8 is a legendary add-on and that should have been taken into account.........

Then so should every other addon out there. If not, why is shuttle fleet special?

these things happen with a new orbiter release. I'm sure David413 will update the fleet to be compatible with the new version of Orbiter.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
SSU is way too complicated

SpaceShuttleUltra is a very user-friendly add-on.

It just chooses its friends carefully. :tiphat:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
No one is forcing anyone to choose between Orbiter 2010 and 2016.

I don't think it hurts to keep a copy of Orbiter 2010 around for add-ons such as Shuttle Fleet, etc. You should even keep developing for them, if you wish.

But is that really all you do in Orbiter? You have no curiosity to enjoy the new hi-res textures or 3D terrain at all?

Last edited:

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have too much invested in Fleet 4.8.
I've spent man-years (amateur) coding for one project that has been voided by 2016, but when i open up 2010, as good as it is, it's like taking a quantum leap backwards !
2016 is AWESOME man !!
Addons will catch up. But for now, take your choice........ ;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Addons will catch up. But for now, take your choice........ ;)

And also: Nobody is stopping anybody from making the add-ons that he wants to see in Orbiter 2016. (Except wives and children). The tools are available for free, learning how to use them takes effort, but is worth it. If you are too busy learning the skills yourself, you are likely far too busy for playing Orbiter as well.

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
This part of the thread would be appropriate with a meme picture of "upgrade to Orbiter 2016 or die".

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
This part of the thread would be appropriate with a meme picture of "upgrade to Orbiter 2016 or die".

"Joy of updating, sets you free." :rolleyes:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am going to brave and try to make my LER 2016 capable. So basically I have been told recompile in 2016, right? As this is a ground vessel I might need to look at touchdown points. I have seen Ummu not working so it may need to drive by its self

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Now I wonder, by whom should it have been taken into account? By martins, while he was creating 2016? By David413, because every developer is obliged to follow Orbiter beta development? By someone else? :confused:

Nicholas Kang

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
News Reporter
Reaction score
Anyone notice that your Delta Glider's fuel mass will not decrease and remain constant when you play with DG-S in the scenario "DG-S waiting for take-off on the runway" that comes with the default Orbiter 2016 folder under the Delta Glider folder heading?

Or is it just that I am the one who encounter this problem?

Nicholas.

rseferino

Orbiter amateur filmmaker
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have tried several things:

Baïkonur Pad 24 + Proton UR500 happens, rocket lifts off but that inclination:

Orbiter1.jpg

Velcro Rocket, but the scenario crashes switch to MFD display, this happens with all the rockets from that pack:

Orbiter2.jpg

Delta II Missions, rocket lifts off but that inclination:

Orbiter3.jpg

By separating the stage it is as shown here (the same occur with Proton UR500):

Orbiter6.jpg

AMSO, when separating the stages and these are far too low rather than being behind.

Orbiter4.jpg Orbiter5.jpg Orbiter7.jpg

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
The surface collisions are different in 2016, so most add-ons are incompatible.
But it really depends on how the add-on setup the surface points.

In my opinion, the only thing that 2016 has got wrong is not to flatten terrain along runways.
Of course, Orbiter only comes with a few bases and those are usable.
But the concept of rollercoaster runways following the terrain is odd. It should be the other way around.

Last edited:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
when separating the stages and these are far too low rather than being behind.

I have found the same behaviour (spent stage apears far below the vessel) when trying the SLS for the Orion MPCV.
- 1st guess: Better create the vessel in PreStep(), not PostStep().
- 2nd guess: When creating a new vessel the coordinate system references to the altitude above terrain, instead to altitude above mean planetary radius. This would explain why this effect only appears in low and medium altitude, not when high in orbit.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
In my opinion, the only thing that 2016 has got wrong is not to flatten terrain along runways.
Of course, Orbiter only comes with a few bases and those are usable.
But the concept of rollercoaster runways following the terrain is odd. It should be the other way around.

You would be surprised how non-flat actual runways really are. This is literally the first airplane T/O & L video I found on Youtube. Notice that the dip in the runway is about half of the height of a 737!

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Keep in mind, Orbiter is a spaceflight simulator, not an addon simulator. Martins has no obligation to include code in the core to support a specific addon or series of addons. He gives us the API and the SDK as a courtesy. It's up to us whether or not we keep up with the changing times.

For me personally, I will not be re-compiling the Cortez for 2016 as I honestly have no time or interest in it at this specific point. It was the possibility of this happening that led me to include the source code in the download so others could make changes should they so choose.

Those of us who have created addons, however simple or complex, do so in our free time, free of charge. Sure, we invite criticism and complaints when we do so, but honestly, we're not obligated to respond to any of it. That sounds pretentious, and maybe it is, but thankfully most of us are kind enough to take the feedback and make the requested changes or fixes, time and real-life permitting.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Anyone notice that your Delta Glider's fuel mass will not decrease and remain constant when you play with DG-S in the scenario "DG-S waiting for take-off on the runway" that comes with the default Orbiter 2016 folder under the Delta Glider folder heading?
I can't reproduce this. You did check the "Limited fuel" option, right?