Project Orbital/Transfer Cargo Hub Station/Ship

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
I've been pondering an idea for a while now, and finally got to some rough modelling of concept ideas today. I'm interested in people's feedback on the idea before I proceed.

And yes, I know AU still needs finishing lol, but the current release round is waiting for code, and I fancied making something that wasn't a building! ;)

So anyway.

The core idea is to create a modular truss structure that can be used as a framework on which to build a station/cargo hub. It is specifically designed for the XR fleet as they are the basis of AIA's operations.

Here are some basic initial pics showing the concept.

Modules will fit in the XR5 loading bay:
concept2.png

Hence will have some sort of unfolding mechanic:
concept3.png

The idea is to have a grapple arm running up the central spine of the modules, so as to service the entire station.

This last pic shows different cargo storage rack ideas. This can hold 30 small cargoes or 18 shipping containers in each 'half'. there could also be a fuel/liquids set of racks too for eg.
concept1.png

So that's the basic concept for use as a simple orbital cargo/refueling hub, thoughts?

There is also one further idea I have I'd like some thoughts/maths back on however: Making the station also an optional ship. You will notice that the 3 DG's all point down the longitudinal axis of the station, so why not use their engines to push all the cargo to say lunar orbit? or with enough fuel, could we realistically go further afield?

Playing with SC3, with the XR manual power numbers, it seems that even in my hamfists an XR1/2 engine has enough power to push 10 times its weight to lunar orbit on 1 tank of gas. So 3 should be quite handy at moving large quantities of cargo in such a way...? or are my numbers out?

I have more thoughts and ideas, but I'll try and keep this from being too long winded!

I'm curious as to whether this idea would be of any interest to anyone?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You could even turn the center hub 90 deg, would give more clearence.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
You could even turn the center hub 90 deg, would give more clearence.
Can you elaborate on that suggestion, I'm not quite getting you. Cheers.

Interesting docu. So is that actually a request for an orbital 'dry dock' of sorts? If so, I do have some ideas in that regard on a drawing board somewhere, but the trick is making it both XR5 hold and docking/attachment mechanic compatible.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on that suggestion, I'm not quite getting you. Cheers.

Interesting docu. So is that actually a request for an orbital 'dry dock' of sorts? If so, I do have some ideas in that regard on a drawing board somewhere, but the trick is making it both XR5 hold and docking/attachment mechanic compatible.

I meant to say the center docking port, could be rotated 90 deg to give more clearence to the spacecraft, the wings ones anyway.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I wouldn't presume a request(honest!), but if it could fit a Skylon as well as a XR5 that would be very impressive. And AU is a natural home for Skylon...

N.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
I meant to say the center docking port, could be rotated 90 deg to give more clearence to the spacecraft, the wings ones anyway.
Ah yeah gotcha. And yes, the docking nodes could easily have a second dock on the top plane too of that purpose. Obviously the xr5 would be that way aligned using the end port, due to its vertical docking port.

I wouldn't presume a request(honest!), but if it could fit a Skylon as well as a XR5 that would be very impressive. And AU is a natural home for Skylon...
N.
The skylon is to something I've not used before, I'll have to check out the mesh. But a google reveals it has a 4.8m diameter cargo bay, albeit a healthy 13m long. The attraction with the xr5's bay is its width, as it really allows the possibility to load larger square panels.

But I'll certainly start thinking about the dry dock idea again as part of this.

Last edited:

Interceptor

Reaction score
WHAP,I have been wanting something like this for awhile now,Great idea.Thanks

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

How about making the trusses attachable,or dockable that way you could send up the trusses,and parts seperately,and build the cargo hub in orbit.

Last edited:

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
WHAP,I have been wanting something like this for awhile now,Great idea.Thanks

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

How about making the trusses attachable,or dockable that way you could send up the trusses,and parts seperately,and build the cargo hub in orbit.

You mean have each truss length separate to allow for even more modular construction, and probably fitting more in a single xr5 bay in one Load? I am considering this as well, and even considered the idea of having the structure have multiple levels, making it possibly cuboid. But I want to maintain an even weight distribution/CoG, so as to keep the 'using it as a ship' as easy as possible. Plus I like things animated and unfolding for their eye candy and design challenge, plus this cuts down on the number of required docks and attachments. But I suspect some compromise could be reached.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Well, it depends on how fancy you want to get with coding and what not. If you really wanted to have things be awesome, you could have "auto CoG shifting". When you unload the XR cargo into the cargo hub, animated bars will automatically move the cargo's around so that the mass always stays close to the CoG. Or, if you wanted to get super spiffy, have manual controls to do it :p

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looking at the 3rd picture in the first post

I just keep seeing a fleet of small vessels coming up from the surface on a supply run.
The XR5 are large container ships and the little guys are acting almost like forklift trucks.
Imagine a container port some thing like EUROPORT in Rottadam or a railway goods yard.

Maybe an entire colony delivered to your door, or at least in a kind of LEO?

I think this idea has wings, as they say

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Well, it depends on how fancy you want to get with coding and what not. If you really wanted to have things be awesome, you could have "auto CoG shifting". When you unload the XR cargo into the cargo hub, animated bars will automatically move the cargo's around so that the mass always stays close to the CoG. Or, if you wanted to get super spiffy, have manual controls to do it :p

Well the coding spiffyness would come down to the effort of some kind soul other than myself, but I have given it some thought. At one end of the complexity spectrum, you can have an animated mesh with docks and attachments. At the other end you have an mfd or control input to manage cargos, that could also recognise what truss modules have been connected where and control them as if they were one vessel.. Also what xr vessels were docked where and calculate engine thrusts accordingly to balance any imbalance in the cog when doing a burn... That sort of thing. That last one could be interesting if the structure was multi-levelled/cuboid.

Looking at the 3rd picture in the first post

I just keep seeing a fleet of small vessels coming up from the surface on a supply run.
The XR5 are large container ships and the little guys are acting almost like forklift trucks.
Imagine a container port some thing like EUROPORT in Rottadam or a railway goods yard.

Maybe an entire colony delivered to your door, or at least in a kind of LEO?

I think this idea has wings, as they say
That's sort of my thinking really, just trying to get more out of the smaller XR vessels particularly, as they have great power, but limited storage... But not all companies can afford a fleet of XR5s...
Although some maths has to be done on feasibility, I did wonder about using this for transfers to other planets, not only to support crews en-route, but also have a number of vessels to use once you get there... And lifeboats to get back...

Last edited:

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Ok, so I've had a little further play based on the feedback and my original thoughts.

Again, these are very rough 3D concept sketches atm.

This one shows how 2 more struts can be added to the module, to allow expansion in the Y axis.
concept4.png

this one, shows it in situ. A central vertical truss would also be viable, should people think it be needed structurally, but that would gimp the spinal robotic arms somewhat.
concept5.png

Now, down to drydocks, Notebook!
This is somewhat different to my original idea, but building somewhat on the concept from that pdf, I realised that the cuboid truss structure lends itself beautifully to becoming a green house. Each required panel can fold in 2 to fit in the XR bay. I havent really done the maths yet, but I suspect 1 cargo bay would be enough to house all the panels you see here.
concept6.png

As you can see, this system would allow for some flexibility for the user, yet give a simple framework. I have some plans for further module adaptations, but let me know your thoughts before I start doing those.

Cheers

boyan3001

Reaction score
As you speak of framework and flexibility... I thnik that Orbiter community should consider project for structural framework and standards. Some similar things alredy exists, but they are invidivudal and scatterd. It could be really good move to start unifying all that standards under one simple framework and do some logical rationalisation.

This idea, WHP, of orbital cargo hub is good example how one simple construction can rise to different purposes.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
I'm loving these ideas. So much adaptability from such simple parts.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
As you speak of framework and flexibility... I thnik that Orbiter community should consider project for structural framework and standards. Some similar things alredy exists, but they are invidivudal and scatterd. It could be really good move to start unifying all that standards under one simple framework and do some logical rationalisation.

This idea, WHP, of orbital cargo hub is good example how one simple construction can rise to different purposes.

Some people are dealing with different time periods.:)

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Cheers for the positives, chaps. Nice to know I might have a worthwhile idea here. It's actually quite a fun one to do too.

I'll go out on a limb here and say nice idea, but aint ever gonna happen. Most modders do attempt to at least standardise dock sizes to some degree. But donamy does make a valid point with his answer too. On that note....

Some people are dealing with different time periods.:)
And different amounts of unobtanium and handwavium... ;)

My current challenge is to try and maximise the xr5 cargo bay capacity more fully with each module or attachment, space efficiency and fancy unfolding animations are key!

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Ok chaps, new toy for you to look at!

I decided to explore the original drydock concept I had, whereby it could fit in the payload bay of an XR5, yet be large enough to service DG class vessels.

So, after some origami, I came up with the following (very WIP obviously):

You may like this, you may think it ridiculous, but I'd like to hear your thoughts all the same.

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I think it's an interesting concept and it kind of reminds me something the USA were looking to do with the Dual Keel space station design where there was a repair bay connected to the top right of the station.
station-dualkeel.jpg

Now this was meant to be for satellites but with things like the DG and XR-2 providing a single stage to orbit I don't see why that design shouldn't be expanded to something like this.