Updates Orbital Sciences' Cygnus CRS Flight 1 through Flight 8 updates.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So, my uninformed analysis :tiphat::
1) there's a vent valve that is pulsing just after liftoff... tank overpressurization? (could be nominal)
2) exhaust changes color and brights a lot just before the "BUM". Seems to indicate a change in mixture ratio to the LOX side, hotter combustion, metal melts....

Not sure how/if these 2 observations relate to each other.

I think that vent pulsing is nominal. That's the first thing I noticed on the replay (thinking O-ring, etc.), but I looked at an earlier Antares launch video and saw the same thing.

I was surprised no launch self-destruct occurred. Maybe it was too low?

dnt462

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
In the press conference they are implying that they used the self destruct, but at that altitude and with the camera angles we have its hard to say.

MattBaker

Reaction score
This investigation will be lead by Orbital, why is Orbital doing the investigation into their own launch failure and not somebody else? In case of an aviation incident you don't get American Airlines investigating but the NTSB. Why isn't that the case for spaceflight incidents?

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
This investigation will be lead by Orbital, why is Orbital doing the investigation into their own launch failure and not somebody else? In case of an aviation incident you don't get American Airlines investigating but the NTSB. Why isn't that the case for spaceflight incidents?

I heard on the loop after the explosion that the NTSB may be involved.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
"Shares of Orbital Sciences fell nearly 15% to $25.85 in the hours following the explosion."

Also, Doppler radar image for fun:
B1EZZeiCcAAHH4w.png

https://twitter.com/mattdanielwx/status/527230563292160000/photo/1

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You will not go to space today.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Jesus... I come home from work to find this. Looks like the port engine completely evaporated. Just like that last failed test fire.

What a mess.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com

Probably because spaceflight incidents don't routinely involve people casualties? And there's no such universal oveseeing body?

Damn, what did wake me up this time! :facepalm:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The sad thing many have likely missed is in the news here.

When that rocket was launched successfully, it was called an American rocket with Russian engines, or russian part wasn't mentioned at all.

When it blew up, it suddenly became an American rocket with Ukrainian engines.
Which is technically true, since the manufacturer is now in Ukraine, but still - :facepalm:.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The sad thing many have likely missed is in the news here.

When that rocket was launched successfully, it was called an American rocket with Russian engines, or russian part wasn't mentioned at all.

When it blew up, it suddenly became an American rocket with Ukrainian engines.
Which is technically true, since the manufacturer is now in Ukraine, but still - :facepalm:.

Practically, it is a US rocket with US certified engines (once made by a Russian, long ago).... all the rest is just noise from uninvolved.

Still, there is the question, what kind of trouble happened there - the first explosion happened before any health management had a chance to react. There is a small amount of flickering in the engine exhaust before it exploded, so it might have had a turbopump failure.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
One theory i seen around here is that the flame from the engine wasn't diverted properly, so after ignition it got into the rocket briefly, damaging the wiring, just enough for it to fail a few seconds later.

No idea if that makes sense, you would think that the business end of a rocket will be fireproof.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
All articles I read mentioned the Soviet-Ukrainian origin of the engines, both prior to the launch failure and after.

The interesting thing is how the flame colour changes prior to the explosion, sort of resembling the textbook "fuel rich" flame.

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
All articles I read mentioned the Soviet-Ukrainian origin of the engines, both prior to the launch failure and after.

The interesting thing is how the flame colour changes prior to the explosion, sort of resembling the textbook "fuel rich" flame.

I think there's a root cause there. It lends support towards the engine's oxygen turbopump possibly failing.

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com

I know some people that thought so. On the initial video, the radio said that NASA, Mars, and Orbital were to do the investigation together. NASA must trust them enough, they have to, especially if their commercial companies are going to launch NASA astronauts into space. Well, I agree. Is there a company for rocket failures, or is NASA all of that?