Project Orbital Craft (OK) 1.01 "Buran" development

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thought I would start a new dedicated thread for the development of a Orbital'nyy korabl' (Orbital Craft, OK) 1.01 "Buran" add-on for Orbiter 2016. I'm going to need some help with creating the proper textures as well as a proper vessel module for it. Intended launch vehicle add-on is https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddon.php?id=c3d0c378-aa41-4565-8910-383b1d488382 by kulch, so only the module for the actual orbiter needs to be made.

Primary references can be found and translated at http://www.buran.ru/htm/mtkkmain.htm

Attachments

• Buran_WIP.jpg
    Buran_WIP.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 15

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Today's work has centered on getting the aft body done. Nothing too special yet, just basic shape work and addition of the two OAC pods.

Attachments

• Buran_WIP2.jpg
    Buran_WIP2.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Buran_WIP3.jpg
    Buran_WIP3.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 15

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
As I mentioned on another thread, feel free to use my Buran VC.
It's not very accurate but some of the instruments are detailed and ready to be animated for a live VC.

A question: can't you just use a Shuttle model and change a few parts ? Is Buran really that different ?
I've seen schematics where the shape looks just the same as the Shuttle... But on others there are differences.

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
it is very difficult 3D object if you start to remake one into another, the first one will not look like one whole better to start from scratch

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A question: can't you just use a Shuttle model and change a few parts ? Is Buran really that different ?
I've seen schematics where the shape looks just the same as the Shuttle... But on others there are differences.

Yes, it is technically and structurally a completely different spacecraft, since it had to be build using Soviet technology and materials. They look quite similar since they had to do the same roles and had been designed with the clear goal of getting the same kind of spacecraft. But there had been only a very short time window for cloning ideas of the STS.

When Buran development started in 1974, only the early coarse research for the STS had been done and published. For a few years, there had been likely a phase of parallel development, with Soviet engineers only having photographs of the STS prototypes in construction available.

Just take the pressurized section as example there. It is shorter in Buran and has a longer nose in front. The tanks inside the orbiter are also placed different and thus required different structures.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Not much visible work today other than some more shape work on the aft body and the OAC thruster pods as well as the addition of the DOMs ( Dvigatel' orbital'nogo manevrirovaniya, or Orbital Maneuvering Engine). The DOMs are part of the RD-58 family so they burn kerosene/liquid oxygen which was stored in the aft body. Specific designation were 17D12. Both engines were electromechanically gimballed and could move 6°s in either pitch or yaw.

Attachments

• Buran_WIP4.jpg
    Buran_WIP4.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Buran_WIP5.jpg
    Buran_WIP5.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 13

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The RD-85 is pretty much a Russian standard engine like the RL-10 is for the USA, it is used in the Blok-D derived upper stages.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Not much progress other than starting on the vertical stabilizer.

Attachments

• Buran_WIP6.jpg
    Buran_WIP6.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Buran_WIP7.jpg
    Buran_WIP7.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 14

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of updates but I have been busy with other stuff. But I can now report that the vertical stabilizer is 100% complete, including the two Rudder/Speedbrake (RSB) panels. Next up will be the wings, so it will start to look a bit more complete.

Attachments

• Buran_WIP8.jpg
    Buran_WIP8.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 16

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Things are coming along pretty nicely. Got most of the left wing done, only missing the elevons, their seal panels and the forward wing root as well as the underside.

Attachments

• Buran_WIP9.jpg
    Buran_WIP9.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 15

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Not much to show today other than the beginnings of the left Main Landing Gear. Wheels are done, moving on to the struts tomorrow.

Attachments

• Buran_WIP12.jpg
    Buran_WIP12.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 10

WolfAngriff

The NSEU (Never Satisfied End User)
Reaction score
Hello. I'm one of those who are waiting for a good Buran to fly with. I hope this pretty bird will be able to fly soon under Energya's belly ! Keep up the good work !

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Not had too much time on my hands the last few days for Buran work. But the MLG is nearly complete, it is just missing the side support struts that connect to the main strut cylinder and the trunnions at the top.

Attachments

• Buran_WIP13.jpg
    Buran_WIP13.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Buran_WIP14.jpg
    Buran_WIP14.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 9

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
After alot of hard work and research, the wings are now 99% complete. There's just some more work on the underside remaining where the main wing structure connects to the elevons.

Attachments

• Buran_WIP16.jpg
    Buran_WIP16.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Buran_WIP17.jpg
    Buran_WIP17.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 12

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Wings and elevons are now 100% complete and work on the Payload Bay Doors (PLBDs) have started. This is where a bit of conundrum have arisen. The conundrum is that I have some photographic evidence that suggests that Buran flew without the Heat Rejection System radiator panels on her one and only 206-minute long flight as they were not needed due to the short duration of the flight, the normal ascent/entry cooling systems could handle the heat loads.

Now I am left wondering if I should go ahead of adding them or if I should leave them out for historical accuracy.

Attachments

• Buran_WIP18.jpg
    Buran_WIP18.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Buran_WIP19.jpg
    Buran_WIP19.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 9

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
Now I am left wondering if I should go ahead of adding them or if I should leave them out for historical accuracy.
The payload bay doors were never opened during Buran's only flight. It would be ok if Buran have HRS radiator panels installed in them just like the Shuttle orbiters. Alternatively, two versions could be made with or without radiator panels