Project Orbital Craft (OK) 1.01 "Buran" development

DaveS

Space Shuttle Ultra Project co-developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Most of the mesh fixing is done, enough for a first pass of texture mapping to happen. Right now I'm using a tile map found on buran.ru. And so far it looks good. I'm still in need of someone to turn the template texture into a real texture.

Attachments

• Buran_WIP28.jpg
    Buran_WIP28.jpg
    591.9 KB · Views: 17

DaveS

Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What I have found has been collected here, most is images/photos from a set of CD-ROMs previously offered through buran.ru: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/27sxqxi94d8fbfq/AAAHKDmXciTqMZK8gQUEGlzFa?dl=0

Of most interest is the photos that have 006-* in their filenames. These are photos of the thermal-vaccum test article, so it is equipped with the actual flight tiles and thermal blankets.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So using the various images as guides, I've got this so far. That's all the tiles on the midbody, excluding the blankets that covers the rest. Once those are in place, I'll move on to the aft body, so I'm working myself aft. I'm saving the more complicated forward body for later. This is slow going but progress is being made. Now this gives me an idea of how tedious it must have been for the KSC Orbiter TPS teams working 24/7 for 1½ to fix up Columbia's TPS ahead of STS-1.

Attachments

• Buran_WIP29.jpg
    Buran_WIP29.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 11

DaveS

Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Basic thermal blankets added to the midbody along with tweaks to the tile border color to make them blend into each from a distance better. And yes, the blankets did have an off-white, nearly grey color to them with white blanket interspaces.

Attachments

• Buran_WIP30.jpg
    Buran_WIP30.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 7

DaveS

Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
TPS work is still on-going. Just finished the sides of the main fuselage as well as the PLBDs.

Attachments

• Buran_WIP31.jpg
    Buran_WIP31.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 17