OHM Orb::Connect::Web 3.19

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: kamaz

This is an expanded version of Orb::Connect which allows you to control Orbiter using Web browser.

How to get started:

1. Unpack the attached add-on
2. Enable OrbConnect.dll module.
3. Launch the simulation.
4. Open http://127.0.0.1:38888/ in a Web browser.
5. Try clicking around the panel

Please see the README.txt file for more information.

Please report bugs and feeback in this thread.

DOWNLOAD

McGalcri

Reaction score
Can this to show MFD's instead buttons? for example, to can see Orbit and Surface MFD's in my laptop while using anothers in the computer runing orbiter?

I tested to do this with WebMFD, but... not working (too lag, frames drops from 80 to 2 omgc:facepalm:)

Also I checked the Virtual Mission Control v2.0, but not running in v100830 and also, the only 2 places from download, it never finish :lol:

Any idea about something for this?

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For displaying MFDs on a laptop/tablet, have a look at VNCMFD: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=28474 and the last version is here: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=411088&postcount=93 I've been looking into integrating Orb::Connect and VNCMFD into one application for the last several days, but there are major technical difficulties with mixing HTML/JS and VNC on the client side.

If WebMFD works for you, but your framerate drops, then try this version: http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=367316&postcount=72

Last edited:

StefanE

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi together

I am having difficulties getting Orbconnect::Web 3.19 to work. The Java Testclient is ok, but when i launch Firefox with 127.0.0.1:37777 i get the message "receiving data from 127.0.0.1" or more precisely "Übertragen der Daten von 127.0.0.1" (its a german Version), but the screen stays white indefinitly.

I would like to launch the test client on a different computer within a LAN, but i have no means of telling the Test Client the IP-Address of the computer Orbconnect runs on.

If i interchange both computers, same story.

Other TCP/IP connections including self-written Servers and Clients work flawlessly.

Kind regards
StefanE

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You should use http://127.0.0.1:38888 not 37777.

Port 37777 is the one used by applications which can talk native Orb::Connect protocol. Port 38888 is HTTP server.

StefanE

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Sorry, no luck:

Native version: hangs with white screen
web-version: 404 Not Found

If i am right, OrbConnect.dll is the only file that makes the differnece between native and web-Version, Config ist the same for both, other files not really needed? Is that right ?

StefanE

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
That was the reason why I asked for the files. If I extract the zip-File (Windows XP home edition), I usually geht the files extracted into their respective directories. If I extract OrbConnect-3.19.zip, I get a directory OrbConnect-3.19 at the same level (!) as the Modules-directory, which i think is not correct. So i moved the config-file by hand to Orbiter2010 (the name of my directory) and orbconnect.dll to modules/plugin. Is that not ok?

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't know what you're doing there, but the folder structure in that zip looks like that:

Code:
└───OrbConnect-3.19
    ├───Config
    ├───Doc
    │   └───OrbConnect
    ├───Modules
    │   └───Plugin
    ├───Orbitersdk
    │   └───samples
    │       └───OrbConnect
    │           └───OrbConnect
    └───www
        └───css
            └───ui-darkness
                └───images

You put everything under OrbConnect-3.19 (i.e. Config, Doc, Modules, Orbitersdk, www) into Orbiter directory.

The 404 error means that you do not have the "www" directory in place.

An absolute minimum installation (assuming you have Orbiter in c:\orbiter) is:

c:\orbiter\Config\OrbConnect.cfg
c:\orbiter\Modules\Plugin\Orbconnect.dll
c:\orbiter\www (with contents!)

StefanE

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
That did it!

Now i have:

c:\orbiter2010\Config\OrbConnect.cfg
c:\orbiter2010\Modules\Plugin\Orbconnect.dll
c:\orbiter2010\www (with contents!)

The question is, why the extraction of the zip-File did not put (e.g.) OrbConnect.cfg into c:/orbiter2010/Config and OrbConnect.dll not into c:/orbiter2010/modules/plugin as it is the case with almost all add-ons i installed.

But anyway, many thanks to you

Next step ist to get the native version to work

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Because I have included the top-level directory in the zip by mistake, so you cannot extract that zip into Orbiter directory -- you have to extract it somewhere else and copy contents. Sorry for that :)

Also, this version is the native version with added web server, so there is no need for you to install the original OrbConnect-2.1.

StefanE

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
this means by simply connecting to port 37777 instead of 38888 i get response from the "native" version ?

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
this means by simply connecting to port 37777 instead of 38888 i get response from the "native" version ?

Yes! Of course, you cannot use a web browser for that.

Also for your information, communication on port 38888 actually uses the same protocol that is used on port 37777, except that it is wrapped in HTTP to be compatible with a web browser.

StefanE

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
communication on port 38888 actually uses the same protocol that is used on port 37777

Good to know, thank you.

BTW: Communication with the "native" version via port 37777 is still not working, but this may be due to lack of knowledge on my side. I can analyze what is exchanged between server and client by looking at the TCP/IP messages using wireshark.

I am facing a difficult decision. I can continue with Orb:Connect and resolve the remaining problems or use Lua sockets. I do not know enough of both solutions to say which is better. I think i will open an extra Thread and get some opinions.

StefanE

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi together,

if i subscribe a message in orb:connect, i get a message identifier starting with 1000 and counting up.
Unsubscribing says e.g. UNSUBSCRIBE:1000=OK.
However if i restart subscribing, the count does not start at 1000 again but will continue to count up from the previous highest value. I have to exit orbiter to the desktop and start new to get the id starting by 1000 again. Have i missed something in the docs?

Kind regards
StefanE

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hi together,

if i subscribe a message in orb:connect, i get a message identifier starting with 1000 and counting up.
Unsubscribing says e.g. UNSUBSCRIBE:1000=OK.
However if i restart subscribing, the count does not start at 1000 again but will continue to count up from the previous highest value. I have to exit orbiter to the desktop and start new to get the id starting by 1000 again. Have i missed something in the docs?

Kind regards
StefanE
Why do you need to start at 1000 again? (hint: you don't)

StefanE

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Of course there always is a work-around.

I should have asked: What is the benefit of having a different id for the same kind of information every time i reconnect to Orb:connect?