Project Optimized XR5 Mesh

Which do you like better? Smooth wing-join, or hard wing-join?

• Smooth

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Hard

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters

Rybec

Reaction score
UPDATE! It's done!
4696515_orig.png

Hello all.
Using a modified version of the Blender import/export script, I have been working on improving the mesh for the XR5 Vanguard. What started off as an attempt to fix an edge-flip error I've been staring at since I first got the XR5 quickly snowballed out of control into a major optimization and enhancement.
The current mesh 52,123 polygons, but I've gotten it down to 27,841.

I've also made some tweaks to the shape that I feel are in line with the original vision. Here's the major changes:
9399609_orig.gif

3125203_orig.gif
4244734_orig.gif

And here it is in action:
812270_orig.png

4114163_orig.png

Here is a gallery of more screenshots comparing the old XR5 with the work I've done so far, but they're not as good as loading it up yourself:
http://brycekaufmananimation.weebly.com/xr5-vanguard-comparison.html

I've removed unneeded polygons (there were quite a few), and also adjusted some edges to improve shading quality.

As per the poll, I've reverted to the original smooth wing-join.

The new mesh is totally compatible with existing texture packs. In fact, I am now at the limits of what I can do to improve this thing without completely breaking existing textures.
It would be possible for me to re-map the textures in a way that would make creating new skins extremely easy, but it would invalidate all existing skins. I'm not willing to do that.

Doug's looking to include this as the new official XR5 mesh!

(uploaded mesh current as of 10/17/12) -fixed folder typo

Attachments

• Optimized XR5 Mesh.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I always thought the XR5 mesh could do with a bit of cleaning up, it was a bit poor on detail to justify the high poly-count (not to say the mesh isn't good. I just didn't quite see where all the 50'000 polys went), so cudos to you!

As part of the cleanup process it was easier for me to remove the entire starboard half of the hull and work off a mirror modifier. However, the original wasn't quite symmetrical. I think I've matched everything back up but I'd appreciate more eyes to catch any doors/hatches/what-have-you that I may have neglected to re-align.

I'm not so much worried about the realignement on the mesh itself as a bout what this could do to the animations... have you checked the animations in orbiter after such a huge change over?

I'm also not sure which I like better, the smooth-joined wings of the original or the sharp edge I've put on it here. It's trivial to put it back the way it was if people dislike it.

I do like the smooth joined wings. It gives the XR5 more the impression of a deltawing with a humpback rather than a barrel with wings attached.

However, as much as I support your effort, have you checked back with the original author of the mesh ? While you can change the mesh for yourself all you want, you should have his permission if you plan to release it (I think not even dbeachy could decide on this matter, as he didn't make the mesh himself).

Last edited:

vlad32768

Reaction score
Yes, I saw a lot of unnecessary geometry (like meshes duplicated into themselves) when I tested my Blender import script. But I thought that this geometry was used for reentry effects or something like that.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
However, as much as I support your effort, have you checked back with the original author of the mesh ?
Second that. Although I would say that Russ is a genuinely good man, so I doubt he would have any complaints about this. All the same, would be nice to fire him a PM or email, out of courtesy. That said, I'm sure Doug has/will get in touch if he plans to include it as official anyway, since he too is a good bloke.

All that said, good work so far, looking nice.

Smooth join would be my vote btw.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Second that. Although I would say that Russ is a genuinely good man, so I doubt he would have any complaints about this. All the same, would be nice to fire him a PM or email, out of courtesy. That said, I'm sure Doug has/will get in touch if he plans to include it as official anyway, since he too is a good bloke.

I agree, best temporarily remove the download if you're not sure about the copyright. In general there's no damage done, except to the pride and bragging rights of the original owner :p

Nice work though!

Rybec

Reaction score
I started by sending Russ a private message, but he hasn't been online since February so I do not anticipate a response for a while. I contacted Doug next, and he said to go ahead with this, so here it is.
...I just didn't quite see where all the 50'000 polys went), so cudos to you!

I'm not so much worried about the realignement on the mesh itself as a bout what this could do to the animations... have you checked the animations in orbiter after such a huge change over?
Cockpit and landing gear wheel supports, mainly. The cockpit was designed like a VC it looks like, which is painful in an exterior view. I pulled 20K out of there easily, most from the chairs, throttle handles, and the computer console against the wall (which was a couple thousand polys to itself). The majority of the rest was the result of what looked like some bad (read:typical) boolean results on the landing gear, and a few other boolean cleanups. I also reduced the mesh resolution on the retro thrusters.

The boolean cleanups also fixed a lot of the shading issues around the side windows. Any time you have a very long thin polygon, it doesn't shade well in a realtime renderer.

The mirror wasn't that big of a change really, the asymmetry was slight near doors (plus the doors are all closed save landing gear in the default state). As far as animations go, they all work as usual. The top of the hull is a single mesh group, I just removed half of it and copied it back from the other side (far easier to make changes once than attempting twice). There was like a 2-3cm gap introduced between it and all the upper doors (but not the lower hull, oddly enough), and I re-aligned to the doors to preserve animations. The lower hull got the same treatment south of the crew elevator.

I'll go ahead and re-join the wings smooth-like.

Russ_H

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Rebuilding of the mesh

Hey Guys

I have read a little about what is going on and I am open minded about what every one is saying. Here is the deal in Maya the model only has 19,833 ploys. When the model is triangulated it tops out at 34016. Here is the deal I have found that when you use importing software it screws up the models from how they were made in the modeling software. I worked hard to make the model clean and use as little ploys as I could to keep the shape.

If you would like a clean copy of the model Just let me know and I can get it to you.

Thanks
Russ

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hey Guys

I have read a little about what is going on and I am open minded about what every one is saying. Here is the deal in Maya the model only has 19,833 ploys. When the model is triangulated it tops out at 34016. Here is the deal I have found that when you use importing software it screws up the models from how they were made in the modeling software. I worked hard to make the model clean and use as little ploys as I could to keep the shape.

If you would like a clean copy of the model Just let me know and I can get it to you.

Thanks
Russ

Remember, polys is not the same as triangles. Polygons with more than three vertices are triangulized for export to Orbiter. Also, two sided polygons are duplicated for export, with opposing normals (and thus edge sequence).

Still, 52000 polys is not evil...it is above the 25000 poly recommendation, but especially the alternative renderers have no problems with that... SSU is way more extreme, there we are fighting about reducing the polycount and data transfers in different magnitudes.

Rybec

Reaction score
...When the model is triangulated it tops out at 34016....
...If you would like a clean copy of the model Just let me know and I can get it to you.

Thanks
Russ
I've already gotten it down under 30K tris. Greatly appreciate the offer though, that would have been invaluable when I was just starting out. You're right though, when I imported it each triangle was separate. I spent over an hour just selecting each object and merging vertices. Then I had to spend several hours splitting the edges that weren't supposed to have been merged. So yes, importing caused problems but I've already fixed those problems.

Actually, if you had pivots set up to test the animations in Maya I might still be able to use it. I'm afraid some of the tweaks I made may cause small gaps when the retro doors are open, but I couldn't see them in Orbiter. Which means I probably don't need to worry about it, but I like being thorough. Plus, I might be able to smooth some of it out a little more if I can verify the animation still works without exporting.

Sorry I haven't been working on this guys. College. Enough said. I don't remember the latest polycount, but I think I shaved another thousand or two tris off it before going on hiatus. I'll take another look at it, see if I missed anything, then make some better comparison pics showing everything I actually changed, to make sure it all meets with approval. I've probably removed about all I can before the changes become noticeable (all I can think of is reducing the smoothness of the landing struts, but even that would only save like 20 polys max)

Last edited:

Rybec

Reaction score
!!UPDATE!!

Unless anyone can spot more problems with it or has other suggestions for improvement, it's done!

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I must say it's excellent work. Many of today's 3d modellers forget about optimization and keeping meshes low-poly.

big thumb up :thumbup: and 5 DGs as soon as it lands on OHM

Interceptor

Reaction score
Awesome job,just one little problem,the white nav light on rear of XR5 is a tad too far from the body,other than that 5 stars.Thank you

Overlocker

Reaction score
Good work for that :tiphat: , and my FPS has go from 15 to 27-30. I LOVE the XR5.

Rybec

Reaction score
Forgot there was a nav light there, I'll bring the tail back out....

Rybec

Reaction score
Glad to hear it makes such a huge difference Overclocker.

I've corrected the typo in the folder name. I'll be making a couple more changes this weekend, stay tuned....