Internet Opera: I am *impressed*...

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Noscript is not needed, especialy since you have the handy F12 menu (see image).
Blocking ads is indeed a downside of opera. You have to block servers via list. You can get pretty good lists for adblocking on the web but there is no autoupdate and adding servers is not as easy as clicking on the ad.
However I have not investigated this in a long time, things might have changed.

Attachments

• F12.png
    F12.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 8

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Yes, plugins are nice! There are plugins for opera too, except nobody uses them because nobody needs them (hence, most of them are play stuff).

No, nobody uses them because nobody makes serious ones.

It is nice that we live in a world where you can plugin up nearly every software to be an OS replacement.

Yes, it is. And that's why I love Firefox so...

And btw, what is up with browsers that don't support the REST command of HTTP and FTP? So you need an extra software (be it plugin or standalone) to simply resume a download?!?! wtf...

I'll assume you're talking about pausing and resuming downloads. Yeah, Firefox does that.

You are a funny guy james. On one hand you claim to be a keyboard shortcut guy but F8, g is too hard for you to remember and you rather use your mouse to go to a drop down list, then select one of the 50million search engines in your arsenal (why else would you need a drop down box? seriously, nobody searches in more than 3 places on a regular basis) only to switch back to keyboard to enter your search term... This seems not very smart, especialy from a guy who claims to hate mouse gestures.

Oh, sure, I could be hypocritical and use the mouse.
Hypocrisy. Pft. Who needs that?

Or, I could press Ctrl+K, which focuses my input on my search box.
Mouse gestures. Pft. Who needs that?

And, quickly and quietly, while we're still on the topic of hotkeys: Keyconfig. Plugin.
Should I ever need more hotkeys, I can code 'em myself using that. Not that I've ever needed to.
More hotkeys. Pft. Who needs that?

And yes, I have more than 3 search engines on a regular basis. Let me list them for you, as you did for me. Isn't it nice when people return favours?
Google. A no-brainer.
Wikipedia. Also no-brainer.
Wiktionary. For when my knowlege of English fails me. (Embarrassingly, it does from time to time.)
Wikinews. For when my omni-presence fails me.
BBC. For when Wikinews fails me.
Orbit Hangar Mods. Enough said.
The Pirate Bay. For when money fails me.
Another bit-torrent site, that probably would rather not be listed here.
DwarfFortressWiki. Hey, I'm a new player.
Mycroft Project. For when I don't have a search engine in my arsenal that I need.
More search engines. Pft. Who needs that?

Oh, me. Duh.

You seem to develop a pattern there, you missed a really easy to find option (see attached screenshot).

Oh, I didn't see that one. I apologise.

And hey, what do you know, I've got that too! It's in the pre-posted about:config, under network.http.max-connections and network.http.max-connections-per-server (and what do you know, it's got one for proxies too). It's probably there, rather than in the GUI, so it dosen't scare off beginners.
Like little old ladies. Wait, little old ladies don't use the internet! What am I going on about...

Little old ladies. Pft. Who nee- No, James, that's agist.

Btw, I don't use mouse gestures myself. I only use hold one button and press the other for forward and backward.

Ergo, a mouse gesture.

For intelligent forward, you don't need images/pages to be numbered. Comming from a site that has them linked is enough. This feature is especialy usefull if you want to read through a bunch of comics. Of course this also respects the link the author defined as beeing the next page, which is beeing done less and less because IE and FF don't really like to follow the interesting parts of standards.

You say interesing, but you either mean redundant, or complicated. After all, if there's a "Next" link, why can't people just not be lazy and click it, or use the TAB key to get to it? That seems to be a better idea than to code in a feature that only Opera users would use.
Complicated, unnessicary html support for one browser. Pft. Who needs that?

And, besides, if a Firefox user wanted such a feature, they could always code a plugin for it, or request a plugin or somesuch.

Indeed, they might have. I'm not going to bother to look for one, I wouldn't use such a feature. I'd rather have such vital keyboard hotkey used for something else, thanks.

The original reason I came (and stayed) with opera is the acid test. You should look it up.

/me Alt-Tabs to check on downloads, Alt-Tabs back to Firefox, Ctrl-Ts to bring up a new tab, Ctrl-Ks to the search box, types in "acid test", Enters (because he's allready got it on Google), is amased when his results aren't spammed by chemistry tests, Tabs to a link, Enters, and reads.

I'll assume you're taliking about www.acidtests.org.

Interesting. I'm not sure what your point is, though. After all, Firefox both 1 and 2, but not 3, at least, on my connection. Same results with Opera.
Though, Wikipedia says things are getting closer to the magical 100/100.

You don't know where to type?
2v0j3ps.gif

Come again? I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean there.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Well, I just got up and will stop going into details.
It seems to me we both understand each others point and that you miss the unique gene opera users have.

Regarding the acid test. It has always been like this: New acid tests comes out, wait a month, opera aces it. Other browsers issue statements like "It poses no significance to the user.". A year (or more) later browsers are issued with "Passes acid2 test" logos.
And it has been like this long before the test tube you were concieved in were molded :p

Anyway, this can only be further discussed with :cheers:

V8Li

Reaction score
I'm a web developer and use Firefox for development (since there are plenty addons out there for it) and Opera to "relax" - if you like :) . Opera uses the same core as Firefox (Mozilla) but it's like the "pimped" Firefox with shiny stuff allover the place. Yea, Opera is cool. IE is going down big time... I know mainly PHP and MySQL (server-side) but have alot of experience with (X)HTML, CSS and JavaScript. The new IE 8.0 is a disaster from the programming point of view (so was IE 5.x).

Long live Mozilla !!!

tarkus

Reaction score
More and more, I see people using Firefox instead of the IE that came installed on their PCs. Microsoft should get the hint and either make IE not horrible or get rid of the damned thing.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Having a HTML parser (And xml etc.etc.) in the OS is a valuable thing IMO. But the way MS propagetes it as a browser is alianating...

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
That said, note that for computers that have only just had Windows installed on them, there's only one way to get Firefox: Go through Internet Explorer.

They have to propagate a browser, how else is anyone going to get a different one? In this case, Microsoft have their own browser, and they may as well propagate that.

Stripe

Reaction score
That said, note that for computers that have only just had Windows installed on them, there's only one way to get Firefox: Go through Internet Explorer.

They have to propagate a browser, how else is anyone going to get a different one? In this case, Microsoft have their own browser, and they may as well propagate that.

Oh the wonders of FTP :lol:

Click Start
Click Run
type in cmd then click enter
type in ftp press enter
type in open ftp.mozilla.org press enter
type anonymous press enter
At the password prompt type in your email address press enter
type cd /pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.0/win32/en-US/ (or En-GB or whatever)
type binary press enter
type mget *.exe press enter
type yes at the prompt
wait
when the download has finished type disconnect press enter
type quit
type exit

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
But, you need to know the address beforehand. Believe it or not, but not all humans are born with the ftp address to web-browsers burned into their retinas.

Also, there are a good many people in existence that don't know how to use FTP.

Note, you can't say "Well, they can just Google it, can't they?" Because they don't have web browsers.

Stripe

Reaction score
Yes true, but I wonder as you could write a few batch files that got you whichever browser you were after?

Thereby giving the customer a choice? - for example, the manufacturer gave you a few shortcuts on your desktop 'Double click this to get Firefox' 'double click here to get Opera'.

It'd work a bit like a *very* cut down version of Synaptic/Aptitude/apt-get or whatever.

Alternatively, ship the batch files on a cd or whatever with the pc when bought.

I admit we are now talking hypothetically and this is all now merely a 'what if' scenario :)

doggie015

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think we have a new contender to factor in as well now. Google Chrome (DISCLAIMER: I am NOT in ANY WAY affiliated with Google, Chrome or any other companies and/or trademarks associated with the google chrome browser.) Google Chrome is a recent addition to the browser contest and seems to be doing rather nicely (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome#Reception). Check it out

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I begin to realise that I have been doing this whole discussion wrong.
I will delete all non-pro-opera posts immediatly :p