STS-130: Full Rendez Vous with FDO MFD

Tim13

Reaction score
What I will do is post a complete walkthrough of a mission with screenshots of the constraints and evaluation tables. That should help people understand the workflow with the MFD.
That would be fantastic. Seeing a real world example put together in one post would be extremely helpful. I've read, and re-read the two posts here, several times and think I have a starting grasp of the FDO. One walk through though would bring it all together for me, and I suspect others.

Also, the scenario I posted, is just the STS-126 scenario that comes with the "historical missions." All I did was modify the launch time by 300 seconds to reach orbit with a RInc of less than one. I'm guessing the orbital elements of the ISS from the .txt file are different from the elements in the stock sts-126 scenario? Is that why my phase angle is so small?

Great work on this BTW. It is so much appreciated!

Tim

Last edited:

Gingin

Reaction score
@Tim : Hey Tim, I attached the STS 130 scenario ( .scn, mission config file and FDO config)

View attachment STS 130SG.zip

You have to put the FDO flight plan ( STS130SG) in Orbiter/Config/MFD/ShuttleFDOMFD

This one is for Spherical Gravity.
You will just need that add on to run the scenario

[ame="https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5351"]https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5351[/ame]

You can follow the mission with that book

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20110023479.pdf

Page 226 for STS 130
It is good reading with a lot of things explained about launch window, phasing, Rendez vous day etc

I took the real data for a launch on Monday 8 Feb ( page 230)
You can see a bit more how it is constructed like that maybe :)

Last edited:

Tim13

Reaction score
@Gingin You read my mind. I was going to ask you for your files....LOL.

For some reason, I can't get CMG up and running. I keep having orbiter crash. So, I just stripped the relevant data from your scenario, and put it in the STS-126 scenario. After launch, I have a RInc of 0.01 degrees, and a phase angle of 91.xxx degrees.

I'm getting a better handle on the FDO MFD, and I'm starting to understand the syntax a little better.

A glossary of abbreviations specific to FDO MOD in the upcoming manual would be helpful as a quick reference for less versed folks like me. I also hope Indy finds time for a walk through as well. Seeing a specific example taken from A to Z can really help connect the dots.

Tim

GLS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I also hope Indy finds time for a walk through as well. Seeing a specific example taken from A to Z can really help connect the dots.
The rendezvous target doesn't matter, FDO MFD will get you there.

Tim13

Reaction score
The rendezvous target doesn't matter, FDO MFD will get you there.
Agreed, but there's something to be said for a step by step tutorial as a reference. It's the whole teach a man to fish thing...teach me how to use the FDO MFD to rendezvous with the ISS, and then I can fly anything anywhere.

Tim

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Agreed, but there's something to be said for a step by step tutorial as a reference. It's the whole teach a man to fish thing...teach me how to use the FDO MFD to rendezvous with the ISS, and then I can fly anything anywhere.

Tim
Working on a manual now.