Request Open-cockpit lunar lander

Ark

Reaction score
Bear with me here, this is something I'd like to see.

In the Stephen Baxter novel "Moonseed", the main characters had to throw together an emergency Moon mission. What they did was use a Soyuz to get them there, and an open-cockpit lander to get to the surface. The lander was essentially just an automated lander they found in a NASA warehouse and strapped a couple of handrails and running boards to.

What I'm requesting is a DGIV payload that you deploy, then unfold the legs for. Your UMMU guys grapple onto it, then you can fly it down to the Moon, or whatever. It should have a docking port just so you can attach it to other ships. I just thought it would be a cool concept to see, it could double as an emergency system to get down to an airless moon's surface in case of a failure in orbit, or as a really lightweight lander for a bare-bones mission.

An inspiration for the model would be that grappleable science platform with legs and an engine.

Ark

Reaction score
Pretty much, yeah. Something that can fit in a DGIV/XR cargo bay, or just be attached to a ship's docking port, and is capable of bringing two or three UMMU guys down to the ground and back up again.