garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
The ip's is listed when people join the server.

And are probably DHCP IP addresses. I've not used your server so I don't know if those IP addresses are visible to everyone.

However, it doesn't matter. Clients connect to your server, your server sends the updates out to clients. The client never connects to another client so my blocking someone else's IP address won't do a thing to them accessing your server.

If it did, then, in theory, I could block you from your own server!

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hm. I don't get the "block" discussion here. IMHO it is quite simple:

• If a client A blocks incoming UDPs from a certain client B's IP, he won't see B's vessels (other than by tracking mechanisms provided by the server).
  • If a client A blocks outgoing UDPs to a certain client B's IP, B won't see A's vessels (other than by tracking).
  • If both is done by A, both effectively "ignore" each other. If either incoming or outgoing block is done by A and B, the same happens. Every other combination could yield strange artefacts (jumping after dock etc).
I think the best solution for "ignore" or "ban" would be a server-side command. For the first, the server could simply refrain from handing out group infos for certain IP combinations. For the second, the server can refrain from accepting a specific IP or username.

regards,
Face

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Everyone can load stargates, warpdrive, big stations if they want to. And also serve with others.
If someone have a problem with this, they could just not have those classes installed, then they wouldn't appear to them.
This completely defeats the point of OMP, because then no one on the server is playing the same game. Accomplishments on the server mean nothing, because someone could easily do them with more cheats.

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
This completely defeats the point of OMP, because then no one on the server is playing the same game. Accomplishments on the server mean nothing, because someone could easily do them with more cheats.

Well, it would completely defeat the point of MMORPG, but not necessarily OMP. OMP is just a framework for Orbiter multiplayer, you can do whatever you want with it...

There really is no point to OMP besides flying around with friends. No competition, no goals, no score. Content is all up to imagination or collaboration.

regards,
Face

Last edited:

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Kriss thanks for having this server up. And Face thanks for all your work and for making this possible.

Kriss I would add to the list of useful MFD's for OMP the [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1092"]SensorMFD[/ame]. It shows a type of radar screen where you can see other Orbiteers relative to you.

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, it would completely defeat the point of MMORPG, but not necessarily OMP. OMP is just a framework for Orbiter multiplayer, you can do whatever you want with it...

There really is no point to OMP besides flying around with friends. No competition, no goals, no score. Content is all up to imagination or collaboration.

regards,
Face
True, what I should have said is that it completely defeats the point of being on the same server, since at that point they're basically playing completely different games.

Kriss

Snowman
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.krizoek.com
Difference together?

Yes, they are differently playing, but then there are the concept of vary groups. this would also give people the posibility to join other "groups" at times. Perhaps we could make a poll where people could initially answer for what kind of omp they are looking for, and then see if we can't make any solutions out from this. Could as well set up a new server, but perhaps it would be good to see what the results might be.

Should we give it a chance?

Kriss

Snowman
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.krizoek.com
There it was

The results were scifi vs reality yes, but we are missing the time bobble. Only possibility is to be in realtime, no long trip together yet:/

flying coffin

Reaction score
Thanks Face for helping me get connected. Once I was flying I noticed several things happened. I was trying to rendezvous with ISS. Once I got into orbit, I had to use scenario editor to adjust rinc and my position in the orbit.
I'm not sure if this was affecting other people. I could get to Rinc of 0.06 and
distance of 1.5M shown by sync orbit MFD.

From there I needed to wait for a while until I was at ISS perigee so I could do an NH burn to match apaogee of ISS. While waiting with others logged on,
I suddenly found my orbit changed and intersected earth soon.

another time with no-one else logged on, while waiting, by the time I got to
ISS perigee, the client had stopped recognizing keypresses, so I couldn't do
the burn, or switch from rotation to translation RCS etc. That happened the last 2 times I tried it so it seems to be repeatable.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
The loss of keyboard control is a known Orbiter bug. It occurs more or less randomly when switching focus from the orbiter window.

Revolpathon

Reaction score
after trying to connect to my own server (don't know what i'm doing wrong since it's running and putty connects just fine)

i tried joining the public one, which was also a failure.
i can get into the sim but always with a time warp of 0.1x, i also tried to tunnel using hamachi but same problem sticks (i'm using the hamachi ip when connecting that way)

anyone has an idea that perhaps could fix my sync issue? if you need more data i'll provide

PS: i think i tried every tip already given here, i'd like to fly around on the server with my lill brother but i can't get my own server working.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
after trying to connect to my own server (don't know what i'm doing wrong since it's running and putty connects just fine)

i tried joining the public one, which was also a failure.
i can get into the sim but always with a time warp of 0.1x, i also tried to tunnel using hamachi but same problem sticks (i'm using the hamachi ip when connecting that way)

anyone has an idea that perhaps could fix my sync issue? if you need more data i'll provide

If it is not working with the virtual private network (hamachi), it is most definitely a firewall-issue on your end. Have you tried to add Orbiter as exception to your firewall's configuration?

I'm not sure if you'll find someone to fly with you there, though...

Revolpathon

Reaction score
my lill brother will join there as well when i get it working

i turned off my w7 firewall and forwarded 1500 tcp udp till 3000 to my ip adress in my router, so that can't be the problem i think

how long does it take on avarage to sync up (maybe it's me being impatient... wouldn't be the first time :p)

Deep Blue

Reaction score
I have a slight problem.
When i try to activate OMP on the modules tab, the whole app (orbiter 2010) closes without an error or warning.
any suggestions?

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Do not use OMP if you can not derive that there is no version for OMP, or that it is highly unstable and only meant for testing at this point.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have a slight problem.
When i try to activate OMP on the modules tab, the whole app (orbiter 2010) closes without an error or warning.
any suggestions?

OMP is not compatible with 2010. The current development tip contains some fixes for the crash problem, but it is still not in the same working condition as with O2K6P1.

jmaldon6

Reaction score
So i have been workin with the latest Alpha version, and i pretty much got everything goin great with it, i just have 3 simple questions.

1. Is there a way to change the start time within the server, So i can change it to daylight

2. Is there a way to add "Server Vessels"? Basically i mean i would like to add 1 ISS already in the server without a new ISS poppin up with every player joining.

3. Is there a proper way to add a STS ready to launch? I got it mostly working, works perfect for the person using the vessel BUT to everyone else in the server, they only see the Shuttle itself, without the SRBs and Fuel Tank, it looks awkward when launching.

EDIT: Also, for some reason, OMP seems to crash when using some vehicles, it works for the person using the vessel, but when it connects to the server it crashes everyone else. BUT im guessing its cuz OMP does not support custom vessels?

Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.