OMP Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
PLEASE HELP, i have tried and tried, i just dont no how to work this thing, i have the window when i open up orbiter launch pad with the chat n everything, but nothings there , what do i do? please help

guitarist473, although Hielor's post above might seem a bit rude at first glance, he is right. Please take a look at the manual in <Orbiterfolder>\doc\OMP\OMP.pdf . It is outdated, but still contains instructions for beginners.

From your post count, I assume you are an Orbiter beginner, too. So please keep in mind that OMP is not a finished addon.

regards,
Face

Fizyk

Reaction score
Website
ebvalaim.net
The problem probably is that there is no server at the IP that you are trying to connect to. You need your own server - there is a server application in the OMP package that you can use.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
i have, the problem is i cant connect to the server, been through the manual trying to get it to connect, it wont, do i have to download a server or something?
If you have a firewall (most routers have firewalls), you will need to forward a few ports.
No offense intended, but you may want to stay away from the OMP beta for now.

Coldron

Reaction score
Im behind router and giving this a try.
But which ports should i open up or does it matter much?

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Although OMP.pdf is outdated, chapter 9 details what ports are to be opened for what use.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Im behind router and giving this a try.
But which ports should i open up or does it matter much?

OMP uses 2 kind of connections: TCP and UDP.

An OMP client will have to establish an outgoing TCP connection to the server first. This should be no problem with most routers/firewalls. If so, create a TCP forwarding for the appropriate server's TCP port FROM your machine TO the internet.
Second, the client needs to send UDP packets to the server on a dynamically assigned port. Normally, this is no problem, too. If it is, create a UDP forwarding for all ports TO the appropriate server's IP FROM your machine.
In addition, the client needs to receive UDP packets on a certain port. This is the biggest problem, because many routers/firewalls don't forward UDP packets FROM the internet TO your machine. OMP supports 3 different UDP "modes" to circumvent this problem:
1. Standard mode - in this mode, a NAT traversal technique is used. It works by means of reusing the port that was used for sending TO the server for receiving FROM the internet. This is also known as firewall piercing, UDP hole punching etc. Unfortunately, there are still many setups that don't support this method.
2. Server-LAN - this mode is really only needed for people hosting servers. It is intended for clients WITHIN the server's LAN, that should be reachable from the internet, too. Therefore, for the casual user, this is not the right option.
3. Custom mode - this mode supports two additional parameters: client's IP and receiver port. You can enter arbitrary values here, the server will send all packets to the appropriate address. Of course, the IP and the port should be your public IP-address and the port you've forwarded FROM the internet TO your machine, so your client really gets the UDP pack...

There are several ways to detect if any of those connections is missing, but these are the easiest:
1. If you don't have working TCP, you'll get that immediately - OMP will simply refuse to connect.
2. If you're connected, walked through the dialogs, the session starts up and you see your time acceleration stuck to x0.1, you most of the time suffer from the UDP-problem. To be sure, you can enter "\ls" in the chat-window and check the result. If your client shows only numbers without vessel names, you are sending UDP, but you're unable to receive them. If your client shows nothing at all, you're not even sending UDPs.

Be sure to add orbiter.exe to your desktop's firewall exceptions, too. For both TCP and UDP.

regards,
Face

BTW: A tunneling feature is on its way, hopefully lowering the entrance barrier.

Foofoo14

Reaction score
Be aware that if other players don't have that vessel installed, they'll just see you in a stock DG.

You have two things wrong.
1. i cant even forward my ports to get people to see me online
2. that screenshot was made before i even knew of omp's existance,plus i know that they wouldnt see that.
3. this online thing is too much on me so im not going to even bother anymore, i have a solar system to assemble. {(0)}__{(0)}

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
İİ14;135322 said:
You have two things wrong.
Um, what?

1. i cant even forward my ports to get people to see me online
Your fault, not mine.

2. that screenshot was made before i even knew of omp's existance,plus i know that they wouldnt see that.
First part irrelevant, second part doesn't make me wrong.

3. this online thing is too much on me so im not going to even bother anymore, i have a solar system to assemble. {(0)}__{(0)}
Still doesn't make me wrong...

I'm merely pointing out something which may not be immediately obvious to some.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Be aware that if other players don't have that vessel installed, they'll just see you in a stock DG.
Unless I read something wrong, I think OMP will crash if someone loads an "unauthorized" vessel.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Unless I read something wrong, I think OMP will crash if someone loads an "unauthorized" vessel.
Hmmm, I'd thought that had been changed to replacing it with the default vessel? The problem I know Kriss and TSP were having was that Kriss had set the DGIV as the default vessel, which TSP didn't have, which was causing a crash (or something like that)

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Hmmm, I'd thought that had been changed to replacing it with the default vessel? The problem I know Kriss and TSP were having was that Kriss had set the DGIV as the default vessel, which TSP didn't have, which was causing a crash (or something like that)

That was due to a not-so-smart overly static config.
As mentioned in the original post, there is another problem with the DGIV. When you have the DGIV and another player crashes his DGIV and it breaks up into pieces... Not so good. :tiphat:

OMP works indeed well with creating vessels on the fly. If you don't have the vessel localy, it uses the default mesh. (DG in this case).

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I was unable to close Orbiter while using OMP when it wasn't receiving from the server--I had to close it through the task manager.

Once the port forwarding was correctly set up, I was again able to exit orbiter using the F4 menu or the close button.

This is on Win7 64-bit, with Orbiter's close strategy set to "deallocate memory."

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
Cool that you set up a server.
But I have a problem. When I connect and choose a location and vessel orbiter loads. But when orbiter is nearly finshed it stops loading and is hanging up.
I have installed .net framework.

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
I have a problem. I posted it in the thread Puplic OMP server and tried to solve it. But had no luck.
I connected to server choosed a vessel and location:
When I'm in full screen mode orbiter is hanging up.
And when I'm in window mode orbiter crashes with terminating error.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have a problem. I posted it in the thread Puplic OMP server and tried to solve it. But had no luck.
I connected to server choosed a vessel and location:
When I'm in full screen mode orbiter is hanging up.
And when I'm in window mode orbiter crashes with terminating error.

I would recommend the following installation procedure to rule out strange side-effects:

1. Make a vanilla Orbiter 2006 Patch 1 directory. Do not install any other addons at first.
  2. Install the SourceForge package.
  3. Install the latest bitbucket tip.
If you can get it to work in this environment, you can start to add some addons. OrbiterSound and XR-series vessels as well as Wideawake are known to work well.
Just be sure to add on at a time and check proper function for everyone.

In addition, I would recommend to use the "DG at WIN" scenario on Kriss' server. All other scenarios tend to crash my client as well.

regards,
Face

Kriss

Snowman
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.krizoek.com
Please use the troubleshooting forum for any more troubles. I would like to have this place for the server.

I am not a expert in omp, but i have had similar troubles with various orbiter installs.
I would suggest to retry with clean install, and follow the install instructions given here.

1. Your port forwarding might not be working properly.
2. You may have modules that don't work with omp in your current orbiter setup.
3. Try switching the shutdown options (located orbiter launchpad->tab extra-> Debugging options-> Orbiter shutdown options. And put it to De-allocate memory....

The best is to use the 06 release of orbiter at the moment. Face is working on some updates that may eventually make it work with the newer releases.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

cinder1992

Random failhurricane.
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
cinder1992.blogspot.com
I've been having some major syncing problems, and I think I found the cause.

Ok, I've set up port forwarding on ports 1000 - 3000, and thought "this will allow me to use port 2900 (the one that I use for all multi-player games.). but suddenly all my games stopped working, a truly WTH moment.

I decided to check if their was interference from other apps using ports 1000-3000, thus causing me to install the wonderful priority saver from http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html. And shure enough, 90% of applications were using ports 1000-3000. I then narrowed the port range to 2900 - 2902. everything started working again.

I hope that was helpfull.

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
I have also syncing problems and I just don't know why.:(

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

Ok. I looked at this tutorial about port forwarding posted in the beginning of this thread. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/223583
I just don't understand what he is doing and I cannot find the things he discribes. I'm using windows 7. This is really making me confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.