New Release OGLAClient 100608 (Second Tuesday edition)

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
ogla_startup.png

OGLAClient 100608:
sourceforge.net/projects/orbitervis/files/OVP%20binaries/oglaclient-100608.zip/download
Last one is 100608-bis: https://sourceforge.net/projects/orbitervis/files/OVP binaries/oglaclient-100608-bis.zip/download
Info in post 34.
Earth scatter tables (for raytraced sky):
https://sourceforge.net/projects/orbitervis/files/OVP binaries/ogla_earth_scatter.zip/download

This is Orbiter 2010P0 tie-in release of OGLAClient, the OpenGL graphics client for Orbiter.
The thing is still somewhat far from being really playable, but i tried to get rid of as many known bugs as possible and to fix all known features.
Detailed documentation on features, installation and OglaSDK is included into the zip file.
OglaSDK and some examples are also included.

EDIT: If you run scenarios with OGLA vessels in normal Orbiter you will get an OGLA wrong loading notice (or it will appear to hang up if in full-screen mode). This could be disabled from OGLA settings ("Check NG"), or in cfg file (Check_for_NG=0)
EDIT2: The file was re-uploaded with fix for above and full-screen mode strip bug. Please re-download if affected.

Changes since last beta:
* MipMaps creation control in config button
* Fixed specular in advanced graphics mode (XR2)
* Fixed no textures in AG mode bug
* Fixed raytraced sky on other planets
* Fixed and added support for annotations
* Fixed shadow offset bug (Atlantis)
* Added check for Orbiter.exe, disableable by cfg
* Fixed raytraced sky in unusual projections
* Fixed and updated config generation
* Fixed sky brightness in normal modes
* Cleaned up and updated F7 menu
* Added toggles for Stereo mode and Earthlight
* Fixed mesh visibility modes (many vessels, XR2, ummucone, etc)
* Fixed font-related crash
* Fixed ring illumination weirdness
* Fixed grainy rings
* Fixed GDI emulation for legacy MFDs
* Fixed invisible stars at night
* Added gradual orbital sunrise
* Fixed various blinking and broken annotations and menus

Known bugs and planned features (as of 100608-bis):
-Lightweight Lv9+ planet rendering (non-Orulex)
-Make Z-layer of Orulex a layer, not whole thing once again
-Make earthlight angle-dependent (dawn, sunset)
-Add particle streams (exhausts, reentry)
-Add planetarium mode
-Fix shadows in high mode+animations
-Recalibrate panel and fonts edge alignment (lines under text, crappy panels)
-Support for deallocation shutdown mode
-Fix visibility sequence for terrain (shadows ON)
-Fading exhaust to DaveS specs
-Shadows problem on Nvidia (?)
-F* key menus problems (?)
-Terrain tiling blinking issues (?)
-Proper tangent storage and handling (?)
-Animate tangent (?)
-NET: Camera panning, camera rolling
-NET: Complete network mode
-NET client: default size for the window
-SDK: Render to surface
-SDK: Add custom GLSL option to OglaSDK?

A few screenshots:
ogla-100414-5.jpg

ogla-100414-8.jpg

ogla-100608-1.jpg

ogla-100608-2.jpg

ogla-100608-3.jpg

Last edited:

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
very cool work! i found a problem when flying around the pill object, the background stars tend to disappear and re appear i think based on the ships angle or something. I first noticed it when i loaded the scenario, and swung the ship around to look at earth, which was still unlit at that time. i'm using a 9800gt and xp.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
the background stars tend to disappear and re appear i think based on the ships angle or something.
As in blink one by one, or something bad?
They might blink as an effect of smoothing, making them not as crisp-cut as in default rendering.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Important note:
If you run scenarios with OGLA vessels (Delatglider!) in normal Orbiter you will get an OGLA wrong loading notice (or it will appear to hang up if in full-screen mode). This could be disabled from OGLA settings ("Check NG"), or in cfg file (Check_for_NG=0)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I consistently get this:
[attachment]

Also, it only works in window mode, and even then only every other time I try to load it. Fullscreen mode on any resolution will give me a 10-pixel wide strip of Orbiter along the left side of my screen, and leave my desktop active.
Log says nothing unusual. I did the usual checking of the manual and rearranging of the options, to no effect. Obviously done on a clean install, following instructions to the letter.
Um, WTF? :shrug:

Attachments

• ogla what.jpg
    ogla what.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 191

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
As in blink one by one, or something bad?
They might blink as an effect of smoothing, making them not as crisp-cut as in default rendering.

i mean as in disappear completely. all of them. the planets remain as dots, the stars dissappear. Obviously its a recent install, but i have ummu, xr2 and orbiter sound installed so i guess that might be affecting it? i have orbiter sound module loaded too.

btw, earthlight is a cool feature, camera light doesn't seem to work and you should probably disable shadow casting on all but the sun.

i increased the shadow map size to 2048 and it looks pretty good and seems to run fast, definately the best shadows for performance at least for admiring a spaceship. it almost works inside the xr2's cockpit even where any other mode just falls apart completely. :thumbup:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I consistently get this:
What exactly is wrong in this image?

Also, it only works in window mode, and even then only every other time I try to load it. Fullscreen mode on any resolution will give me a 10-pixel wide strip of Orbiter along the left side of my screen, and leave my desktop active.
Weird, bug confirmed.
Full-screen mode was always more of a bug than a feature and it seems i totally forgot to test it out.

I've re-uploaded the file with a fix, try downloading again.

i mean as in disappear completely. all of them. the planets remain as dots, the stars dissappear.
Now that's something new. Any consistent way of reproducing it in controlled conditions?

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
fiddling with shadow settings again, seems the shadow maps play up if set too high, anything over 2048. set to 4096 they would look lovely and don't seem to kill the frames like high shadows.

*edit, no infact the shadow bug, which seems to be a projection angle issue appears with any shadow size, its just less vislble with 512 shadows... i think this issue has been around for some time so i'm sure its way down the list

however i thnk if you're looking to develop any particular shadow method, the maps seem to have the most potential so far for a clean, accurate realistic shadow... shadow maps also lose that hard edge that other methods can give so are liked by 3d artists as they look more natural, and are light on the cpu as opposed to raytracing for example. *

and i've captured the same bug as with the dg also in this shot. stars appearance seems dependant on camera angle.. seems that i can reproduce the effect in any orbital scenario.

Attachments

• oglatuesdayed_xr2shadows_nostars.jpg
    oglatuesdayed_xr2shadows_nostars.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Quite a few errors on my clean install. The worst being lockups that almost require computer restarts. They seem to happen worst on the two showoff scenarios.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What exactly is wrong in this image?
The textures on the Deltaglider are completely black, except for the flames you added.
Also, I'm set on 0 ambient lighting, and it has no effect on in-sim lighting.

Your fix worked; fullscreen works normally now, although it still only works every other attempt, inexplicably locking up on the other tries.

All objects besides the ones you made appear as completely black for me.

Attachments

• ogla what 2.jpg
    ogla what 2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 139

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
To get the deltaglider working properly required recompiling it with the cpp file provided in the OGLA client's package, which wasn't an issue for me, but could be for some I suppose.

Recompiling it will enable you to see the DG working with multilight too, though I never did work out why the forward firing retros are causing the rear and wingtips to light up...

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
To get the deltaglider working properly required recompiling it with the cpp file provided in the OGLA client's package, which wasn't an issue for me, but could be for some I suppose.

Recompiling it will enable you to see the DG working with multilight too, though I never did work out why the forward firing retros are causing the rear and wingtips to light up...
Well, I understood very little of that, so maybe this just isn't for me. :lol:

I did replace the old deltaglider files with the ones provided with the beta, which is I assume why the flames on the wings showed up, but I can't see how it's normal for every object to appear black and featureless if it weren't provided with the client.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Should not be, there is a precompiled DLL provided in the package.
Or, do you mean to say it does not work?

The textures on the Deltaglider are completely black, except for the flames you added.
Strange, Mobility Radeon HD 4330 is quite a recent card, should not give problems, in theory.
What if you disable multilight (F7-2)?
What if you disable advanced graphics (F7-U)?
Is there anything in ogla.log?
Does it stay black with out-of-the-box settings?
What do you mean by 0 ambient?

Your fix worked; fullscreen works normally now, although it still only works every other attempt, inexplicably locking up on the other tries.
At what point does it lock up?
If it's on exit and you have Vista then it's likely Orbiter bug.

Quite a few errors on my clean install. The worst being lockups that almost require computer restarts. They seem to happen worst on the two showoff scenarios.
Any definite way of reproducing this?
You have nivdia GPU, right?

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Should not be, there is a precompiled DLL provided in the package.
Or, do you mean to say it does not work?

Oh, psh. I swear I looked through and there wasn't, and yet, when I looked back through, there was...

I replaced the one I compiled with the one you provided, and the vessel still worked as expected, though for some reason my DLL was a good 111KB larger. >.>

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Artlav I have a 40nm ATI HD 4770 Don't you also have a 4 series card?
No, i have HD 5870.

Ok, it's ATI which at least show a pattern, but not just every ATI, since i can't reproduce it so far.
Lockups you meant were driver restarts, right?
Is there any consistent place it happens?
Is there any difference with advanced graphics off
Is there any difference with GDI emulation off?

Salun

Das Bluejay El DESTROY YOU ALL
Reaction score
THis is really weird but seems after 93 seconds. And always 93 seconds the Olga Client crashes for me