New Release OGLAClient 100608 (Second Tuesday edition)

mc_

Reaction score
Looks cool, but...

Can't see buildings from VC. At all. On other views (2D panel, external, etc) everything is OK, but when switching to VC, even the runway texture disappears.

And, of course, many crashes (on fast view switching, etc, etc, don't know what), white screen on loading sometimes, and so on...

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Can't see buildings from VC.
That's a bug all right, fixed.

And, of course, many crashes (on fast view switching, etc, etc, don't know what), white screen on loading sometimes, and so on...
Any way of consistently reproducing any of them?

Please, please, people reporting crashes, freezes, etc - if i knew where they happen they would have been fixed already. Please provide ways to reproduce these if you report them.
Otherwise, abandon all hope.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Alright, here's basically what I told you on IRC but in a little better detail;

On loading up the artifact scene, the FPS is usually fairly low with the settings here engaged. I generally get good FPS by the time the DG has gone close enough to the object that the multilight area on the artifact itself isn't that big, maybe 15 seconds in.

Then, all seems good, I was able to drift around, play with the DG casting light on itself, enjoy the orbital sunrise, etc. After a seemingly random amount of time, it starts sticking every so often and the FPS bottoms out, then returns to the mid 30~50 range it was in previously. Eventually it will stick in one of these FPS "ruts", and fail to return - at which point Windows pops up with its uniquely irritating "Orbiter_ng.exe has stopped working...". >.>

I'm on an 8600GT with solid dual core CPU behind it. For reproducing it, I'm sorry, but I don't have a categorical handle on when or why they happen yet. They seem random by nature to me.

mc_

Reaction score
white screen bug: how to ;)

How to get a "white screen" bug:

1) start orbiter_ng, run any scenario
2) after some time (no matter, how much), exit orbiter (F4 - Exit)
3) after exiting, "Orbiter launchpad" will appear again. Start any scenario, without restarting the "launchpad"
4)....
5) white screen :hello:

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
How to get a "white screen" bug:

1) start orbiter_ng, run any scenario
2) after some time (no matter, how much), exit orbiter (F4 - Exit)
3) after exiting, "Orbiter launchpad" will appear again. Start any scenario, without restarting the "launchpad"
4)....
5) white screen :hello:
Hm, that is known - You have the default "Deallocate memory and display launchpad" shutdown option, which is utterly unsupported by OGLA since it's creation 3 years ago.

Other two should work.

mc_

Reaction score
OK, fixed (changed the option to "respawn process"). Another problem, very important: planetarium (F9) does not work...

//блин, ну между собой-то могли бы и по-русски разговаривать. Забугорный интернет влияет на моск, не иначе...

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Strange, Mobility Radeon HD 4330 is quite a recent card, should not give problems, in theory.
What if you disable multilight (F7-2)?
What if you disable advanced graphics (F7-U)?
Is there anything in ogla.log?
Does it stay black with out-of-the-box settings?
What do you mean by 0 ambient?

At what point does it lock up?
If it's on exit and you have Vista then it's likely Orbiter bug.
Disabling multilight doesn't fix the problem, but disabling advanced graphics does.

My ogla.log displays this series of errors:
Code:
08/06/2010-1:12:30 AM:[OGLAUX    ]:Error: (ogla_render2D) Access violation at address 033F01ED in module 'ogla.dll'. Write of address 00000001 (hc=0)
08/06/2010-1:12:30 AM:[OGLAUX    ]:Error: (ogla_render2D) Access violation at address 033F01ED in module 'ogla.dll'. Write of address 00000001 (hc=0)
08/06/2010-1:12:30 AM:[OGLAUX    ]:Error: (ogla_render2D) Access violation at address 033F01ED in module 'ogla.dll'. Write of address 00000002 (hc=0)
08/06/2010-1:12:30 AM:[OGLAUX    ]:Error: (ogla_render2D) Access violation at address 033F01ED in module 'ogla.dll'. Write of address 00000002 (hc=0)
Also, under 'ring program' this is displayed:
Fragment shader uses varying gl_Color but vertex shader does not write to it.
It is black with out-of-box settings. Ambient light level is an option under visual effects and is by default set to 12.

The program locks up before starting to load if I try to run the simulation more than once off the same launchpad. To fix it I must close the launchpad and run orbiter_ng.exe again.

EDIT: Tried your fix for mc_
The only problem with 'respawn process' is that every time I exit Orbiter I get a Windows dialog [Orbiter_ng.exe has stopped working] that won't show up until I exit the launchpad, at which time I'm spammed with them. No way around that one, though. Windows problem, not OGLA.

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Another problem, very important: planetarium (F9) does not work...
Oh, forgot to post this:

Known bugs and planned features:
-Lightweight Lv9+ planet rendering (non-Orulex)
-Make Z-layer of Orulex a layer, not whole thing once again
-Make earthlight angle-dependent (dawn, sunset)
-Add particle streams (exhausts, reentry)
-Add planetarium mode
-Recalibrate panel and fonts edge alignment (lines under text, crappy panels)
-Support for deallocation shutdown mode
-Fix visibility sequence for terrain (shadows ON)
-Fading exhaust to DaveS specs
-Shadows problem on Nvidia (?)
-F* key menus problems (?)
-Terrain tiling blinking issues (?)
-Proper tangent storage and handling (?)
-Animate tangent (?)
-NET: Camera panning, camera rolling
-NET: Complete network mode
-NET client: default size for the window
-SDK: Render to surface
-SDK: Add custom GLSL option to OglaSDK?

Disabling multilight doesn't fix the problem, but disabling advanced graphics does.

My ogla.log displays this series of errors:
Log seems irrelevant, but i got the idea - something in the shaders does not set the mode properly.
To be fixed, i hope.

The program locks up before starting to load if I try to run the simulation more than once off the same launchpad. To fix it I must close the launchpad and run orbiter_ng.exe again.
Look at the post above.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Log seems irrelevant, but i got the idea - something in the shaders does not set the mode properly.
To be fixed, i hope.

Look at the post above.
Saw the post and edited accordingly.

Thanks for taking the time to develop this, Artlav. To your credit, the parts that do work look excellent. :cheers:

donatelo200

Aerospace Engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can't get OGLAClient 100608 to work properly.:( It shows up but the framrate is terrible and it just dosn't show up as in the screen- shots. The same thing happens to me with spaceway, witch worked perfectly untill i got windows 7.:compbash: Please make a version for Windows 7.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I can't get OGLAClient 100608 to work properly.:( It shows up but the framrate is terrible and it just dosn't show up as in the screen- shots. The same thing happens to me with spaceway, witch worked perfectly untill i got windows 7.:compbash: Please make a version for Windows 7.
Works nicely here on Win 7. Probably something you did wrong or your graphics card isn't of a high standard.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her

It would be more helpful if you explained what settings you are using for OGLA client and what scenario you are running, as well as details of your hardware, particularly graphics card model and manufacturer.

donatelo200

Aerospace Engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Works nicely here on Win 7. Probably something you did wrong or your graphics card isn't of a high standard.
My graphics card is Direct X i don't think thats it. I did however when i got Win 7 it was added over windows vista.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
OGLAClient 100608-bis:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/orbitervis/files/OVP binaries/oglaclient-100608-bis.zip/download

Ok, new release.
Hopefully, this should fix some bugs reported.
I'm particularly interested in the big freeze/crash showstoppers - does this fix them for you if you had one?

Release notes:
-Default "Deallocate memory and display launchpad" shutdown option, which is utterly unsupported by OGLA since it's creation 3 years ago. You should use other two for the moment.

Changes:
*Fixed full-screen mode
*Fixed message hang if OGLA scenario runned in orbiter.exe
*Fixed vessel and building visibility from VC
*Apparently fixed various freezes and crashes people reported (thank you Xyon for testing)
*Some tweaks to text and 2D appearance

Izack: Please try this for all-black bug, and post full ogla.log (deleteng all in it before the attempt).

no infact the shadow bug, which seems to be a projection angle issue appears with any shadow size, its just less vislble with 512 shadows... i think this issue has been around for some time so i'm sure its way down the list

however i thnk if you're looking to develop any particular shadow method, the maps seem to have the most potential so far for a clean, accurate realistic shadow... shadow maps also lose that hard edge that other methods can give so are liked by 3d artists as they look more natural, and are light on the cpu as opposed to raytracing for example. *
Yes, mapped shadows are the way to go, the current implementation is kind of incomplete. I get the bug you shown, not much i can do about it without some rework.

Are you sure you have proper drivers for your video card?
Do other games work fine?
Does regular Orbiter runs fine?
Any improvement with this version?

---------- Post added at 21:46 ---------- Previous post was at 21:38 ----------

My graphics card is Direct X i don't think thats it. I did however when i got Win 7 it was added over windows vista.
Ok, obviously you know nothing about video cards, so let's do a simple test.

Please run the 2 exe's from here:
http://orbides.1gb.ru/orbf/glgrcln.zip
And post glgr.txt and what gpu_detection.exe printed out.

Last edited:

donatelo200

Aerospace Engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It dosn't check out ok and it sais i have NVDIA GeForce 7300 LE <Microsoft Corporation-WDDM> Also no improvements with this version. All games work fine exept Celestia and your Spaceway. Reguler orbiter works. Spaceway and Celestia worked untill I upgraded to windows 7. I had Vista befor it. Here are results.

"GPU does not support OpenGL 1.2 (Problem)
GPU does not support OpenGL 1.4 (No MFDs and panels)
GPU does not support OpenGL 2.0 (No advanced graphics)
glgruva=1, usevbo=0, vboav=0, glgr_stensh_aupd=0, gl_comp_sup=0, gl_shm4=0
Warning: Texture compression unsupported.
glGetCompressedTexImageARB=$00000000
glGetCompressedTexImage=$00000000
Extensions:
GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture"

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
It checks out ok but it sais i have NVDIA GeForce 7300 LE <Microsoft Corporation-WDDM> Also no improvements with this version. All games work fine exept Celestia and your Spaceway. Reguler orbiter works.
So, would you post glgr.txt content or not?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here are results.

Code:
GPU does not support OpenGL 1.2 (Problem)
GPU does not support OpenGL 1.4 (No MFDs and panels)
GPU does not support OpenGL 2.0 (No advanced graphics)
glgruva=1, usevbo=0, vboav=0, glgr_stensh_aupd=0, gl_comp_sup=0, gl_shm4=0
Warning: Texture compression unsupported.
glGetCompressedTexImageARB=$00000000
glGetCompressedTexImage=$00000000
Extensions:
GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture
Well, there you go. Your graphics card doesn't support OGL 1.2 which is the graphics language used in OGLA.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Well, there you go. Your graphics card doesn't support OGL 1.2 which is the graphics language used in OGLA.
Not so fast...

I did after fixing that messege several times.:lol:
Ok, do you have 197.13 drivers per chance? (Start->Run->type dxdiag->enter->Display tab)
One of the Nvidia driver versions was buggy, resulting in broken OpenGL apps.
Try reinstalling newer, and if fails, older drivers.