OFSS Pilot Briefing Room

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Sweet! The station looks great (albiet kind lopsided now). I had lots of fun, gotta give props to the "tech-reps" on the ground who solved my technical difficulties.

Now for some crew rest, heading back to the pilot's lounge...

Is it too soon *cough-cough* to get back into the rotation for an assignment around March?

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nice job, PhantomCruiser.

I'd like to register my concern that the current span of the truss is so small that the solar panels run the risk of clipping an XR5's wings. To reach certain attitudes, the solar panels would have to go right through them.

Due to the apparent absence of gravity-gradient induced torque, my concern may be moot. Other thoughts and opinions?

Ark

Reaction score
Are we going to start working UMMU crew into the mixture anytime soon?

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Sweet! The station looks great (albiet kind lopsided now). I had lots of fun, gotta give props to the "tech-reps" on the ground who solved my technical difficulties.

Now for some crew rest, heading back to the pilot's lounge...

Is it too soon *cough-cough* to get back into the rotation for an assignment around March?

Good job! :cheers:

Right now the station missions are only slated to last through Jan 2010. We'll see what happens then. There are still some available missions in Jan and Dec. I need to post the updated calendar still....

Nice job, PhantomCruiser.

I'd like to register my concern that the current span of the truss is so small that the solar panels run the risk of clipping an XR5's wings. To reach certain attitudes, the solar panels would have to go right through them.

Due to the apparent absence of gravity-gradient induced torque, my concern may be moot. Other thoughts and opinions?

By the next time the XR5 comes back to the station the progress will be moved or gone so the XR5 can dock to Zoe at that point which should clear the solar panels. Another month or less (I can't remember) and we'll have tex2 in place which will help too. I know the station looks a bit funky atm, but once we get the rest of the trusses up and another solar panel things will be looking super nice. At least its the best solution I can offer for the time I have to spend on the project.

Are we going to start working UMMU crew into the mixture anytime soon?

I think I already mentioned that a DG4 will be flown up to the station this month and left on station. The crew rotation will be from that until Esastar arrives where we can keep even more crew on station.

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
Nice screenshots, PhantomCruiser.

radekpl

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.radekpl.net
Nice mission 12 with small technical problems corrected by Wideawake space center in short time to safe OFSS which works only battery when new solar panels was installed.

Nice work PhantomCruiser !

radekpl

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.radekpl.net
Tex: in mission description is mistake.

ATV Automated Transfer Vehicle is only for supplying Station. And then it burn up in atmosphere. There is no land.

And next my idea is use fuel MFD for transfer fuel to core. Due to necessary kill rotation before docking each mission. Or when we will use Deltaglider after their mission to kill rotation of the station...it will be OK and no need new add-on.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Once again I never have flown ATV so I thought it could return to earth, after all it is a crew transfer vehicle (I thought). Why do you guys like to fly things that can't reenter? Anyway, just crash it into the Pacific Ocean if you can't land it. A DG4 will be left on station this month.

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The ATV is part of the add-on which includes the Crew Transfer Vehicle, or CTV. The CTV has a capsule and reentry capability. The ATV is the Automatic Transfer Vehicle. It's just used for cargo transfer and probably waste disposal by atmospheric burn-up.

Oceanic

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Why do you guys like to fly things that can't reenter?

it adds a certain realism to the OFSS :p

i transfered most of the fuel from the ATV to the Core (kill-rotation is using a lot fuel these days :()

screen-shots and post mission scenario will be uploaded in the next hours.

radekpl

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.radekpl.net
Not necessary crash, because ATV is automatically deleted when temperature is critical during burning in atmosphere. :) But I had problem with second stage of Ariane. I leave it on orbit :( I will try to fly again. because last stage of Ariane had a lot of fuel before I prepared to dock.

But this mission was like puzzle :) When you do not cheat with Station arm which can attach to any position on the assembly part and use only attachment point.

See my blog with pictures with my solution of this problem. :)

Oceanic

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
i had this idea while planing my station but i haven't tried it yet.

we could give the PMA (or any other config or spacecraft vessel) ridiculous hight ISP and "cheat" ourselves a gyroscope ;)

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What exactly counts as "unloading the cargo"? Where should I put it?

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I usually use UMMU to unload it and dock it to a docking port on the station, simulating an off-load. This is not necessary if you don't want to do it.

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thank Kulch for the URMS. It'll make the job a whole lot easier.

What should I do with it afterward? Will you just magic it away?

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Put it back into the cargo bay of the DG4 to be returned once the next DG4 flight launches.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Do we need to retract the P3P4 solar panels prior to moving them? As fast as the URMS moves I thought it'd be a good idea... Anyway Tex, the station is looking great! :thumbup: