Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think we can use UCGO crate for that

But then we can't label the samples, where they had been taken, categorize them and cut them into tiny slices after a visual analysis...

:rofl:

Ok, I'll shut up.

what about having a simple tent that we can use for creating supply depots along the rover routes and use existing flags for marking the route to the next base visually?

After all, in reality, you wouldn't just follow the INS or radio beacon, but have a scout mission running ahead that looks for paths down or up slopes, past rough terrain, etc, and marks the way for later scientific missions.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
just give me the tent dimensions and I'll come up with something :p

reference foto or drawing would be nice

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
just give me the tent dimensions and I'll come up with something :p

reference foto or drawing would be nice

Damn, always the same with those bloody civilians. Join the army, see the world, meet interesting people, learn how to kill them. :lol::lol:

Since it is about protecting some UCGO boxes from dust and have a easily visible structure, something in this shape would be good.

Tents-for-Hikes-and-the-Back-Yard-289.jpg

It just needs a rectangular sheet of textile, which could be pretty generic in the OFMM context, and a skeleton to support it, an rectangular frame would already do it.

The bigger version for such a shelter looks like that:

Relief-Emergency-Shelter-Tent.jpg

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Looks great, Loru!
A simple braced tent would suffice, but it should be designed to generate minimal lift in the winds of Mars, despite their low force. Something like a mountaineering tent sshould suffice.
Wait, we can use the habitat module from the stock UCGO package! :lol: No need to reinvent the wheel here.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
OHM release: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5581"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5581[/ame]

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Maybe some actions areas for the cargos, this would be very realistic!

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Ok, having tried out the SSK1 package, I have a couple of suggestions.
1. We need a camera that we can place on the ground and "look" through even when we leave a site, such as if we were to leave a large trench and watch what shifts.
2. What's with the blender? :rofl:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Ok, I'm working on a "camera": simply a tripod and casing that has a tranparent lens. More details in a little while.

Luke Skywalker

Rebel Alliance Hero
Reaction score
MaverickSawyer said:
1. We need a camera that we can place on the ground and "look" through even when we leave a site, such as if we were to leave a large trench and watch what shifts.

You could make a UCGO cargo, after unpacking you could enable the EnableFocus fuction to TRUE? then use Camera MFD (for 2010 P-1?)

Loru said:
When you find dead alien you can make a meal.

(Picture censored due to violent nature)

:rofl:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
That's my plan. I was running a demolition charge test, and realized we needed a camera. So I killed Orbiter, and opened the .cfg of the nuke and found that it does indeed have the focus set at true, which is a boon for a camera, to say the least! :p

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
OK, folks: let's get cracking on this again! For a quick review, here's the current consensus:

First priority: gathering samples and planting an OFMM and UN flag.
Second priority: performing on-site areology studies, including using a kinetic impactor and seismometer system for subsurface research.
Third priority: determine locations of possible feedstocks for manufacturing materials on site for future missions.
last priority: visit a lander or rover and gather samples/repair the rover.

Did I miss anything?

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
OK, time for a thread reboot in support of OFMM V3, being run by mojoey.

Floor is open to discussion as to what we can do on the surface.
GIVEN: We will have Loru's excellent Surface Science Kit, which includes a weather station, drill, and seismometers.

Athena

Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen
Reaction score
Some questions:

Where are we landing on?

How long would the science missions last? (I could jump in as a areologist and climatologist)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Suggestion for the landing site selection: with a good probability of ice underground, for longer stays without having to drink purified urine (psychological reasons)

Something like above 50°N sounds like a good general direction.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
OK, sounds like a good idea Urwumpe.
Athena: looks like we're there for the long haul... mojoey say "*Return to Earth not guaranteed. You have been warned!" ;) Plan accordingly!

I think that growing crops would be a good idea, since that would reduce the need for prepackaged food. How we'd do that, I have no idea. :shrug:

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
As far as a landing site, I can only think of 2 off the top of my head that already exist as add-ons (unless we use ORULEX, which will rule out a usable base) and those are "Vallis Dao" in the southern hemisphere (which has a GORGEOUS landing and walk around area), and "Gayle Crater" in the nothern hemisphere. The only problem with using Gayle is that the vast majority of the mesh is well above ground, there is only a VERY SMALL usuable area. However, if that site is chosen, one of the goals could be to locate the Curiosity rover and either enshrine it, repair it, or return it (or parts of it) to Earth. There is one other already made landscape mesh "hourglass crater" which is near Vallis Dao, but there is a base in the add-on (which we don't want), and it takes too much tweeking just to get it to work at all. So, unless someone can make a good terrain mesh for our landing area, those are my votes.

Actually, one of my original suggestions for the OFMM was to find and either enshrine, or return parts of, the first Viking lander...

Last edited:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I have no intention of making the required addon list longer than the trip to mars, BUT, if we need additional UCGO cargoes, I would be OK with that. As for any terrain generators, the jury is still out on them.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
I have no intention of making the required addon list longer than the trip to mars, BUT, if we need additional UCGO cargoes, I would be OK with that. As for any terrain generators, the jury is still out on them.

I was just thinking of what to actually do there and where we would land. It is a fairly simple matter to deorbit and land safely on a plain sphere whereever Isaac Newton deems you should touch down at. It is more challenging (and more scenically interesting) to pick a specific area and to try and hit it.