OFMM Development: Spacecraft

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
Why one mission? There is a lot of planning going on for this so it would be a shame to see it end at one mission. Personally, I'd have several missions building up to the eventual landing on Mars.

Sorry, I didn't mean one mission in the form of we go there, we come back end of story. I was referring to the whole thing as a mission in the same way that the OFSS could be considered one mission, or the Apollo (or any other space) program could be heaped together as a single mission.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Argh... a mission is not a program.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Don't drink and post.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
Oh god. "Honey, I've just been pulled over and arrested for PUI (posting Under the Influence), can you come down to county lockup and bail me out..."

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Oh god. "Honey, I've just been pulled over and arrested for PUI (posting Under the Influence), can you come down to county lockup and bail me out..."

No, but you could get in reality:

• a temporary ban if you post something really stupid
  • All the ridicule and laughter that we other users can provide.
    • And we will remember such moments for quite a long time.

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
*ahem* back on topic...
Sorry, I didn't mean one mission in the form of we go there, we come back end of story. I was referring to the whole thing as a mission in the same way that the OFSS could be considered one mission, or the Apollo (or any other space) program could be heaped together as a single mission.
Adding to this, OFMM should end in a manned prescence on Mars (not like Apollo), but because of Mars' funky orbit relative to Earth, launch windows are 26 months apart (also not like Apollo).
Given this, (I think) we have chosen to launch one complete mission for the program initially, and possibly, if we want to, follow up with more, different missions, unlike Apollo (or Constellation, for that matter) which was basically the same mission at different locations. This will be much more complex in all respects, so we'll need a much larger variety of spacecraft developed.
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here.

---------- Post added at 00:29 ---------- Previous post was at 00:14 ----------

Oh yeah, I found this old pamphlet on SICSA Mars Ares lying around, and it did have them deploy the comms sat in high Mars orbit when thy arrived. Can't say why, but this was a professional study, so...

Last edited:

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
If every mission is going to be as in-depth as the first, which we haven't even begun yet, then perhaps we are going over board on the realism. While I prefer it to be as realistic as possible, not to the point were it takes years to finish the entire program. Remember, in the end, it's still a just a simulator. We aren't planning an actual mission to mars, after all.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmm, I noticed there's quite a lack of information regarding the stack vessel aside from the OSHV. There has to be something between it and the engine, and there has to be a long-range antenna, as well as some basic instruments. The OSHV so far is fairly self-contained, but anything that isn't necessary on the ground should be migrated out of it and onto some sort of interplanetary/MEO service module, to save the load on the Skycrane system.
I'm guessing for simplicity's sake that when the vessel is built, the OSHV will be placed directly in the Skycrane, so that would in turn be connected to the Service/Truss module. Attached to hardpoints on that module would be various cargoes that the crew would not require during transit, such as the MSEP (assuming that the MSEP will be carried by the Skycrane after the first landing...it looks too big to carry down with the crew module all at once) and the communications satellite.

Suggestions? (Not that I'm building it or anything...:shifty:)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hmm, I noticed there's quite a lack of information regarding the stack vessel aside from the OSHV. There has to be something between it and the engine, and there has to be a long-range antenna, as well as some basic instruments. The OSHV so far is fairly self-contained, but anything that isn't necessary on the ground should be migrated out of it and onto some sort of interplanetary/MEO service module, to save the load on the Skycrane system.
I'm guessing for simplicity's sake that when the vessel is built, the OSHV will be placed directly in the Skycrane, so that would in turn be connected to the Service/Truss module. Attached to hardpoints on that module would be various cargoes that the crew would not require during transit, such as the MSEP (assuming that the MSEP will be carried by the Skycrane after the first landing...it looks too big to carry down with the crew module all at once) and the communications satellite.

Suggestions? (Not that I'm building it or anything...:shifty:)

No complaints from my side. Since the Skycrane would need orbital assembly in any configuration, it would even make sense to use the stack truss structure as orbital construction yard.

I am not sure if it makes sense to have the skycrane inline with the OSHV, while it makes operations easier, we could also install propellant tank modules for the skycrane around the truss and have the Skycrane at the side.

What we do need is of course a crane and a mobile base, like the ISS has, on the truss. maybe even multiple.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What we do need is of course a crane and a mobile base, like the ISS has, on the truss. maybe even multiple.
Well, that much doesn't need to be developed. The URMS could do that easily enough.

I guess the propellant will balance the mass of the Skycrane?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I guess the propellant will balance the mass of the Skycrane?

Exactly. at least during Earth-Mars transfer... the skycrane could stay at Mars, if we can park it on the surface or in Mars Orbit.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
If every mission is going to be as in-depth as the first, which we haven't even begun yet, then perhaps we are going over board on the realism. While I prefer it to be as realistic as possible, not to the point were it takes years to finish the entire program. Remember, in the end, it's still a just a simulator. We aren't planning an actual mission to mars, after all.

True, but AFAIK the stuff we want to use doesn't exist yet and if it did, what would make this project any different than using the Arrow for example? If the project is a modified replica of any other mission a single pilot can fly, where would be the attraction to it? And I doubt it will take years to begin, as soon as the details are finalized for the requirements then building can begin.
evilgrin0044.gif

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And I doubt it will take years to begin, as soon as the details are finalized for the requirements then building can begin.
evilgrin0044.gif

Me want building!:hail:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
True, but AFAIK the stuff we want to use doesn't exist yet and if it did, what would make this project any different than using the Arrow for example? If the project is a modified replica of any other mission a single pilot can fly, where would be the attraction to it? And I doubt it will take years to begin, as soon as the details are finalized for the requirements then building can begin.
evilgrin0044.gif
Well, the OFSS project could have been pulled off by one guy, used existing addons, and still has more members than us. ;)

P.S. Where do you people keep getting these crazy smilies??

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Well, the OFSS project could have been pulled off by one guy, used existing addons, and still has more members than us. ;)

urg cannot please them all. They have a slightly simpler mission plan then we do.. in that we need things to do on Mars instead of just mission launches. Otherwise, you time accelerate all the time. Wheres the fun in that? ;)

P.S. Where do you people keep getting these crazy smilies??

smilies :thumbup:

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

Me want building!:hail:

What about your 'project design' waterfall thing :thumbup:

postcount=495

I think we are 95% of the way through design. Which actually can overlap with construction.

We can start with finishing the skycrane, OSHV, the nuclear power generator, greenhouse.. what else... pretty much anything that needs a mesh and a texture. ;)

Last edited: