OFMM Development: Atmospheric Vessels

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Just curious, do you think multiple landers is a good idea? I would hate to get there and have "we have a problem."

well, it is a matter of time, more skycranes could land more modules in a shorter time, permitting easily unloading an incoming supply ship during the short window that exists so it could return to Earth again without delay.

Since these landers will run on methane o2 mix combo, the landers will have to actually land for a while to refuel. But in order for that to happen we would need the insitu fuel converters and h2 and. Power gens down first. Wow, I will have to work on order of landing for these modules.

I wanted to have orbit refueling and ground refueling as standard on the first skycrane(s) and maybe drop orbit refueling for later skycranes, in favor of better performance.

Yes, we need such an order. we could also try making unmanned precursor modules, that land on their own.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I wanted to have orbit refueling and ground refueling as standard on the first skycrane(s) and maybe drop orbit refueling for later skycranes, in favor of better performance.

Yes, we need such an order. we could also try making unmanned precursor modules, that land on their own.

Orbit refueling sounds like it might be required even for a while anyway.

To make the fuel for the lander we need

• Power
    • generator
  • Fuel generator
    • ISRU
    • H2 supply
  • Possibly the presence of humans to setup the gen and ISRU

LOX/CH4 engines have ISP of 322-381 seconds. Assume 351 ISP seconds

LH2 has 33.3 kWh/kg

Assume 50% efficiency, 66.6kWh/kg to create LOX/CH4 fuel.

lander at dry 5,000kg would take roughly 13,500 kg per launch?

The ISRU would take roughly 899,100 kWh so thats 37.5 days to create a full load of fuel? Please tell me I am wrong...