Obama wins

Missioncmdr

Reaction score
At least when you divert money form NASA (which makes me a little upset) and put it into the education system, it is still being used for some good.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
At least when you divert money form NASA (which makes me a little upset) and put it into the education system, it is still being used for some good.

Even worse - I can't see how giving the money to NASA without any objective control does anything good. If NASA would get paid like it's subcontractors (money only for meeting milestones and passing reviews), it would be out of business even with one eye closed.

Better put this money into something else related to education and science, than just let NASA use it as rocket fuel.

Master of Blades

Reaction score
Point taken, I'll rephrase...

"Better that than take money from space exploration attempts (which will provide useful scienetific data), to fund the "War on Terror".

The matter of NASAs management and what they are doing currently is another question alltogether.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Why you should not vote for McCain (photo dated August 29, 2005 [anyone remember what happened that day?]):

{IMAGE}
And besides, if you are really dissatisfied with the Democratic and Republican nominations, you could vote for a third party such as Green, Libertarian, or Constitution. Or you could even write-in a candidate.

Hurricane Katrina, it hit on my birthday, id know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I would never put my support behind a candidate who supports abortion anyway

A bit off-topic, but I firmly believe abortion should remain legal and be the decision of the parents. I'm sure there are many unjust abortions every year, but there are also cases when an abortion is a wise decision.

Example: Woman gets pregnant, doesn't realize she's pregnant and had been drinking and smoking cigs during the time she didn't know. If it was my baby, I wouldn't want to risk the damage done to it from this and instead would choose to have a planned pregnancy at a later date. Another example would be someone who got pregnant by mistake and is in no position financially to properly raise a kid, which leads to the kid being neglected.

eveningsky339 said:
Of course, McCain isn't any better. Why the heck do we only have two parties to choose from?

Because our elections are a joke and totally fake. The popular vote means nothing.

Missioncmdr

Reaction score
Of course, McCain isn't any better. Why the heck do we only have two parties to choose from? :huh:

I tend to look on the bright side. At least we do not live with a one party system.

And besides, like I said in a previous post, there are plenty of third parties to choose from if you are dissatisfied with the Democrats and Republicans.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Example: Woman gets pregnant, doesn't realize she's pregnant and had been drinking and smoking cigs during the time she didn't know. If it was my baby, I wouldn't want to risk the damage done to it from this and instead would choose to have a planned pregnancy at a later date. Another example would be someone who got pregnant by mistake and is in no position financially to properly raise a kid, which leads to the kid being neglected.

I for one would rather have been born with birth defects, or into poverty, than not at all.

Missioncmdr

Reaction score
Even if a couple has an unintentional child, putting him/her up for adoption would probably be a much better idea than abortion.

Birth defects are another thing. I guess my opinion would be different depending on how bad and/or life threatening said defects would be.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A bit off-topic, but I firmly believe abortion should remain legal and be the decision of the parents. I'm sure there are many unjust abortions every year, but there are also cases when an abortion is a wise decision.

I respect your stance of course, but I remember once upon a time in High School I did a project on abortion. It's incredibly destructive to most women who undergo the procedure, and most abortionists are obviously not going to explain in detail the potential side effects. I could go into detail but I'm sure we'd all agree that doing so would be completely unnecessary.

I know that being born unwanted or neglected can be hard, but many... eh... "fetuses" that are on the other end of this procedure would rather survive. You shouldn't take my word for it though-- Testimonies of abortion survivors

I hope this thread doesn't get completely thrown off course...

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I know that being born unwanted or neglected can be hard, but many... eh... "fetuses" that are on the other end of this procedure would rather survive. You shouldn't take my word for it though-- Testimonies of abortion survivors

I hope this thread doesn't get completely thrown off course...

Informative, but scary read! I think there should be some kind of limit as to when you can no longer make the decision to abort for reasons like this. I can't believe anyone would wait 7 months before deciding to abort, that should not be allowed. Obviously she knew she was pregnant well before that and had ample opportunity to abort before that point. That's terrible what this little baby girl went through surriving a late abortion. I would deffo support making it illegal in the late stages of pregnancy, but I still think in the first couple of months it should be allowed. At any rate, thanks for the informative link, I had never seen it before.

Back on topic: I wanted Ron Paul to win and I will be writting his name in on the ballot, but I doubt it'll matter as I said the elections in our country are a joke. I wish it was fair, but like so many other things in todays hostile world of politics, NOTHING is fair.

tomek

legal alien
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Testimonies of abortion survivors weren't written by fetuses. They survived and developed into fully formed people who of course believe they have a right to live. That's not to say they don't, it just doesn't prove much, except for a well-known fact that people who are alive want to be alive. And then again, if someone born into poverty grows up to be a criminal, he also sure as hell will want to be alive, but I suspect you'll wish his mother has made an abortion.

While at it, I must say I'm not all into abortions made that late. Evidence suggests that after about three months, fetus is indeed more than just bunch of tissue; and also it's much more traumatizing to the mother at that point. Still, I'd rather see abortion being legal, for the simple reason that it's one of those things that don't just disappear if outlawed. Abortions will still be done, just become less safe and more expensive.

Why do I get an impression anyways, that people think opinion on abortion is next to the only relevant thing about a political figure?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

I see it a bit more radical - the body of a woman is her private territory. No government or politician should have the right to turn her body into birth machines for their agendas.

On the survivors - I think their stories would have been no problem, when a legal abortion doctor operating to legally defined standards, without anti-abortionists making their work harder, would have done the abortions. Also, when reading these stories, my main thought is :eek:hthedrama: - Many kids have far worse stories after getting born and learned to survive without complaining.

Also, how traumatizing an abortion is for a woman, depends mostly on the woman, not on the time. I have a friend, who did an abortion after 12 hours and still often thinks about the "what could have been". And I know others, who had their third abortion without even thinking about it or contraceptions.

Why do I get an impression anyways, that people think opinion on abortion is next to the only relevant thing about a political figure?

Because the next most important thing is: Is this guy a good Christian and does he kiss kids (what old perverts!). Do you really think people get voted today because of their politics...?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Personally, I support the unrestricted right to abortion until the 75th trimester.

:rofl:

You do know... slaves can't get fired, slaves have to be sold. ;)

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Rather that than diverting money from NASA to fund the "War on Terror"

*Put more quotes here to make this look more on-topic.*\

Personaly, I don't like NASA much anymore. For god sakes, why aren't we on the moon?

On abortion, I belive:

If raped: Yes

If birth defects: Yes (depending on seriousness)

For convenience: No (same with cesarians)

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Illegal abortions is scary uncomfortable thing. Improvised/forced abortions are not better solutions. And mother killing unwanted baby that was just born.., It does not look any nicer then any abortion. And restricitng abortions will increse number of all those things.

Abortions are like alcohol* - both in principle are necessary only for rare "medical" purposes, so an ideal society can minimize their use. Yet both are absolutely needed for real people. And when forbidden, people will find other ways - improvised or illegal. Neither way is healthy, neither is controlled. And illegal ways just fuel criminals along the way.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Informative, but scary read! I think there should be some kind of limit as to when you can no longer make the decision to abort for reasons like this. I can't believe anyone would wait 7 months before deciding to abort, that should not be allowed. Obviously she knew she was pregnant well before that and had ample opportunity to abort before that point. That's terrible what this little baby girl went through surriving a late abortion. I would deffo support making it illegal in the late stages of pregnancy, but I still think in the first couple of months it should be allowed. At any rate, thanks for the informative link, I had never seen it before.

Back on topic: I wanted Ron Paul to win and I will be writting his name in on the ballot, but I doubt it'll matter as I said the elections in our country are a joke. I wish it was fair, but like so many other things in todays hostile world of politics, NOTHING is fair.
I was actually born two months premature, so it looks like we're probably on the same page. :cheers:

Back on topic... I was hoping for Ron Paul to win as well, but I'm not sure he can make much of an impact after being forgotten by the media.