News Obama readies to blast NASA [UnTrue]

FADEC

Reaction score
Yet another thread ruined.

Let me get this straight. You get an un-sourced, opinion article that basically states that NASA is over, you believe it 100% and then the president is an idiot?

Yup, makes sense.

I personally don't think he is an idiot. He is smart and an excellent rhetorician above all. But he is not the big savior almost everybody thought he would be.

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Yes, but it is a song about the German president in general, not a specific person. Applies approximately to all figureheads.

True.

Never heared the song, I think.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can you show me where it says it is a lie? Have a source or a link? I would like to see it.

You need to show me that what the article says is true. Until then, it's made up.

Except that while none of those is true, he has effectively terminated the US space program.

Prove it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Except that while none of those is true, he has effectively terminated the US space program.

He didn't. Congress had. He just has to fulfill their laws as head of executive.

I would have preferred the Obama suggestion, which was 100% what the Augustine commission suggested. Not this insanity. I could write lots of profanities thinking about the kind of stuff Congressmen think good spaceflight is like.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Makes absolutely no sense to me, especially considering Obama's previous stance on space.

But of course it's true, right? Obama is evil, right?

In fact, I'm sure Obama is aboard his Death Star right now, planning to nuke Alderaan. :dry:

Also, Obama never ruined the US space program and has actually been pretty visionary in his space policy (which was arguably presented poorly).

The only people threatening the US space program right now, are the politicians who wish to strangle COTS/CCDev in favour of further political 'pork'.

Last edited:

FADEC

Reaction score
he has effectively terminated the US space program.

I don't really think so, although Obama does not seem to be particularly interested in space flight. But the members of the Augustine commission are, and they know their stuff pretty well I guess. I reffer to the comment of Urwumpe: what Obama and the administration did was 100% what the Augustine commission suggested.

Actually it was the Bush administration who didn't give NASA a new and proper new path but just pulled the Apollo joker. Now they have to clear away the pile of fragments on the floor of what is left after STS...

RS-232

No!
Reaction score
Website
piv.pivpiv.dk
Makes absolutely no sense to me, especially considering Obama's previous stance on space.

But of course it's true, right? Obama is evil, right?

In fact, I'm sure Obama is aboard his Death Star right now, planning to nuke Alderaan. :dry:

Also, Obama never ruined the US space program and has actually been pretty visionary in his space policy (which was arguably presented poorly).

The only people threatening the US space program right now, are the politicians who wish to strangle COTS/CCDev in favour of further political 'pork'.
You are absolutely right. It is not just Obama. Its all of em! (assuming I was referring to just Obama is just another assumption)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh....So you Don't know and are mearly speculating and or assuming it is a lie. :lol:
That's not how it works. This always goes the other way around. The article is wrong until proven right. Otherwise people would have to waste all their time disproving these sorts of wild articles...oh wait, they want to do that anyway? :rolleyes:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You are absolutely right. It is not just Obama. Its all of em! (assuming I was referring to just Obama is just another assumption)

Obama has nothing to do with it, what he wanted to bring forward was and is opposed by the pork-seeking politicians in Congress and the Senate.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
My 2 cents on this issue:
Lets assume that the United States' government is aiming to, for all intense and purpose, get rid of interplanetary launches from NASA. I do not know where I stand on this issue.
Yes, it is true that NASA's history of interplanetary launches has been great. And yes, we have learned an incredible amount about the solar system, the earth, and us, through these launches. However, all this research can only pay off so much.

I do not want to see interplanetary travel go away, but seeing as how the US is facing very bad economic times, cuts have to be made. I'm not saying the cuts should be made to support any bill that Obama proposes; that's a different issue. I believe that, until our country recovers from an economic recession, we should attempt to make cuts to all programs, including NASA, that don't improve the efficiency of the country. I'm not advocating the destruction of NASA, nor am I advocating the destruction of government, or smaller government. But anything that does not allow the US to become more efficient should be cut until our finances allow for some breathing room.

Attack me if you want. Like i've said multiple times, I do not wish to see the disappearance of NASA. I don't want to see interplanetary travel go down the hole. But unless NASA either finds alternate funding, or the US can gather enough resources to throw some at NASA, I think that interplanetary travel is a good place to make cuts.

*dives into the bomb shelter, clutching his Orbinaut license*

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
*dives into the bomb shelter, clutching his Orbinaut license*

Heheh... fair point, and a sentiment I agree with.

However, planetary science stuff contributes toward a very small amount of government spending. Cancelling it would not save much.

There are far more ways for the US government to save money (paralleling your worries, many of these ways are intrinstically about improving efficiency).

In fact, if something at NASA had to go... then please point your attention, at the glaring Elephant In the Room, the Big Pork Rocket that won't fly for years and will do almost nothing for the American people as a whole, beyond an anemic bit of forced sentimentality.