Gaming O-F Dwarf Fortress Succession Game: Armorwad - Minotaurs! Goblins! Railguns!

KuatYards

Ejection Seat Tester
Reaction score
They were pretty much inside the gates when they were spotted, I had no choice but to fight... luckily I wasn't killed, but one of my marksdwarves is critically injured...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I use a two step alert for anything, I have in my current small game lost only very few dwarves to attacks.

First, I have red alert. This means: All dwarves inside, all four squads of mine (not all with weapons) protect the entrances. Only very few deep burrows are permitted for civilians.

Once all dwarves and animals are inside, I switch to the proper long term alert (Siege or ambush). All burrows except the red alert zones are permitted again. All gates are closed (bridges, one Z-level above the surface). Now Marksdwarves and traps are responsible for reducing the number of attackers to a manageable amount. Then I let my two brawler squads out and force the attackers to retreat. The fourth squad contains all mothers in my military, since I don't like warriors carrying babys as dwarven shield into battle. This squad only has the job to keep the fortress clean of any intruder.

KuatYards

Ejection Seat Tester
Reaction score
That's how I run my main, four alerts:

Green Alert:
Civilians have no movement restrictions, soldiers guarding gate.

Yellow Alert:
Civilians inside, all troops report to stations, archers man walls

Red Alert:
Civilians in the deepest bunkers cadet squads guarding bunkers, all troops
engaging enemy

WE ARE BREACHED:
Civilians to the safehouses and cave in the entrances, troops guard valuables and safehouses

I may implement this system in armorwad

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

Autum has come, heres the log:

Code:
2-Hematite-131
Fikod Delerasdug has given birth... yet MORE mouths to feed...

19-Hematite-131
I have opened the gates, the entire populations promptly ran out
and grabbed the nearest log they could find, GOOD DORFS!

21-Hematite-131
ANOTHER BABY!!!

4-Malachite-131
I think I solved the food/bone/leather problem...
There was a herd of boar on the far side of the river, they crossed over and, well...
I tried out the militia on them, the archers cant hit the broad side of a mountian, but 
seem to like using their steel crossbows as clubs... anyway, we have tons of meat and bone

5-Malachite-131
While the militia commander is chasing the last boar around the map waving his hammer like
a madman... Some migrants have arrives, I'll sort them out into Milita/Laborers

12-Malachite-131
Simo has returned!!!

4-Galena-131
Kogan, a three year old has a strange mood...
He's claimed a craftdwarf's workshop...

8-Galena-131
Woo482 is down! he was working in the danger room when he triggered it, Current injuries
are shattered ribs, severe upper body injuries, and a severly damaged lung...

13-Galena-131
A human caravan has arrived from Twakigil, I'll try to get some steel from them

14-Galena-131
A human Diplomat has arrived with the caravan, wonder what he wants...

14-Galena-131
I have gone hunting and killed two capybera's with my crossbow, walking back to the fort
I see the carnage from the battles, but I also see hope for the people living there.

24-Galena-131
Many goblins attacked us and we lost many good soldiers, several injured men, and the 
goblins escaped... they shall be avenged!

28-Galena-131
I have started a Water Reactor, this is just a test model, but if it works, a full
model will run the railgun systems and railways.

1-Limestone-131
Autum as come, we need to overhaul defences before we do anything else...

I'll start defence overhaul...

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Do we have a road yet leading to the map edge?

Really looking forward to the railguns. :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Do we have a road yet leading to the map edge?

Really looking forward to the railguns. :)

A road with lots of weapon traps along the sides.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A road with lots of weapon traps along the sides.

Walls would suffice. A trading depot near the map edge connected by tunnel to the main fortress and walled off from the rest of the map (build raising bridges up to the edge) would be impenetrable, though less fun than what you propose. The first line of defense should still be a dwarven railgun, though. You can't deny the awe inspired by 500 flying spinning trap components and battle-axes gnashing through incoming goblin meat.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2442-dwarvenauto-shotgun2

Would love to try weaponising a magma crab, too, by placing one in a room of fortifications and covered with raising bridge, to be revealed to the enemies once all dwarves are safely past the gates.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I prefer having the depot close to the main fortress (but separate) for shorter transport. Also, I hate walls around roads, since this also limits my own dwarfs. I would rather build large tunnels then and let the merchants get underground ASAP.

And finally... I don't want to kill the goblins all by traps... I want my dwarfs to become legends. After 8 dwarf-years of playing, I have 6 legendary dwarves, 28 military dwarves in four squads (10, 6, 4, 8) all fairly competent except the cadet training squad... and during the last ambush series, the only loss was a macedwarf, who died of old age shortly after the first ambush started. Fully armed in sight of the enemy. Isn't that ironic? Aside of him, I only had a speardwarf with major injuries from arrows... he defended an unfinished balcony for marksdwarves.

Only bad thing about this fortress: It is a mountainhome since a few years ago, but the king is dead. Shot by a goblin while heroically rescueing a wounded dwarf. Well, he was a vampire king and his son is currently waiting 500 days until he can receive 200 hammerstrikes...

KuatYards

Ejection Seat Tester
Reaction score
That shotgun looks simple, railgun filled with axe blades :)

I want to place several cage traps around the area, just for test subje... I mean Prisoners :lol:

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

mabye instead of a shotgun with blades, how about just rocks, or tables, or chairs, or platinum statues of Urist McGoblinSlayer

EDIT: I'm putting it facing the inner entrance, I'm thinking an airlock system only letting a few invaders in then blasting them to armok's kingdom

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
mabye instead of a shotgun with blades, how about just rocks, or tables, or chairs, or platinum statues of Urist McGoblinSlayer

EDIT: I'm putting it facing the inner entrance, I'm thinking an airlock system only letting a few invaders in then blasting them to armok's kingdom
Axe blades and serrated disks sever limbs. The more pieces the gobbos are in, the less cohesion they have in their unit tactics.

KuatYards

Ejection Seat Tester
Reaction score
yes, but it has also been my experience that a table flying at high speed doesn't care about plate armor, it just rips the goblins body off

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

Siege!!

They number near 100 troops, the mayor, and our second best archer are dead, and Exma, the Goblin's Demon King is just outside the doors! time to test out the railgun

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

The river has saved us, all the goblins are quantamized at the lower end of the river, they're sill there, but now I can drop them into an endless pit :)

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Winter has arrived, this is my last season:

Log:

Code:
8-Sandstone-131
MIGRANTS!!!

15-Limestone-131
The baroness is dead... killed by a maurading goblin...

16-Sandstone- 131
Dorku has arrived, he is a huge scaly click beetle, it has a spiral shell and it undlates
rythmically, it's cerulean scales are round and close set, Beware its deadly blood...

14-Timber-131
The goblins are back, in force, the civilians are hiding, but most of the troops are running
toward the river...

18-Timber-131
we lost the mayor, a hammerdwarf, and our second best marksdwarf, but they bought time for the 
rest of the troops to get inside and close the gate... we are surrounded, outnumbered, and 
outgunned, but this time we have WOOD!!!
The Goblin's Demon Lord has been spotted fighting with the goblins, he is just outside the 
walls!

1-Moonstone-131
Winter has arrived, looks like a rough winter is coming

Not much happened in autum, except for the siege...

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
How's that winter going? Any dwarves not eaten by magma-spewing serpents?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's too bad my overseer year came at such a bad time. Since then, I've run three successful fortresses into the ground successfully. The latest one is even somewhat impressive.

Urdim_Duthnur3.png

Urdim_Duthnur4.png

A large surface fortress, and defensive wall. Very gneiss, if I do say so myself. :p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I hope I can rescue my current mountainhome from my broken computer... :(

Izack: What tool did you use for Iso-Visualization? I recently used VisualFortress for it.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I hope I can rescue my current mountainhome from my broken computer... :(

Izack: What tool did you use for Iso-Visualization? I recently used VisualFortress for it.

Stonesense, built into DFHack, so you can run it by command line while playing.

KuatYards

Ejection Seat Tester
Reaction score
Sorry the last bit took so long, school exploded on me and I didn't have time

A minetaour arrived and beat up a few trolls for us... then got shot be the goblins then The goblins got fed up and left... again...

I should have the save up by the end of the week

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's too bad my overseer year came at such a bad time. Since then, I've run three successful fortresses into the ground successfully. The latest one is even somewhat impressive.

Urdim_Duthnur3.png

Urdim_Duthnur4.png

A large surface fortress, and defensive wall. Very gneiss, if I do say so myself. :p

Dwarf Fortress really should separate its graphics into an open source client... :p

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Dwarf Fortress really should separate its graphics into an open source client... :p

My laptop would shoot itself at the mention of 'graphics' and 'that program who uses all resources and shall not be named' together.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
My laptop would shoot itself at the mention of 'graphics' and 'that program who uses all resources and shall not be named' together.

I can't wait to test how my new notebook will deal with DF. Should be at least faster by clockrate. Not sure if DF is multicore, but I doubt it.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Not a problem. If you write the graphics to actually use the GPU, it would be less strain on the CPU than it is now. I completely understand why the developer would not focus on graphics, but Orbiter seems kind of a nice example for how you can have your cake and eat it too as a developer, even if you don't want to go fully open source.

Not sure if DF is multicore, but I doubt it.

Not yet. I read in an interview that optimisation and multi-threading won't be a priority for a few versions yet, but will be there eventually.

I'm tempted to say "when pigs can fly", but this is dwarf fortress we're talking about, and I fully expect it to provide the means to make pigs fly at some point in the future :p

Last edited:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Not yet. I read in an interview that optimisation and multi-threading won't be a priority for a few versions yet, but will be there eventually.

Yeah, optimize AFTER Moore's law fixes the problem. :lol: