Software Numpad control problem

BenSisko

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
On my laptop, the Numpad 1/4 and 3/6 combinations for roll & yaw no longer function. Roll and yaw input still work independently of one another. All other flight related key commands work. Has anyone seen this? Any suggestions??

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
So they functioned properly before you've changed something? Have you changed keyboard settings or enabled/disabled the program managing the laptop's function keys? What laptop is this?

BenSisko

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the response!
No changes other than a major factory refurbish about a year ago when I had a catastrophic hard drive failure. Gattispilot and I have been working on the Moonbase Alpha add-on which doesn't require any aerodynamic flight. We're currently working on a glider from the show. The issue became apparent in testing reentry profiles. All RCS and control surface commands work, its just the 1/4 and 3/6 combinations that don't. When hit simultaneously there is no control surface motion or RCS fire. When hit sequentially, the first command takes precedence and the later is inactive. I think this occurred after the refurbish but I hadn't noted it since I'd been looking only at extra-atmospheric flight.

I have a Dell M1710 2.00 GHz Centrino processor. 4GB RAM (3.25 useable) 512 MB video
running WinXP Pro. I haven't edited the keymapping files from their default and can duplicate the problem in all 7 of my Orbiter installations across several vessels but not in my desktop. I'm pretty sure its my laptop but how weird is it that everything seems normal except these two key combinations? Incidentally the cross controlled 1/6 and 3/4 combinations work and the keys otherwise function normally??

Thanks again,
Ben

Last edited:

BenSisko

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I have some follow up on this, sorry if it's too long.

Using the "in keyboard" numpad, all RCS and control surface commands work, its just the 1/4 and 3/6 combinations that don't. When hit simultaneously there is no control surface motion or RCS fire. When hit sequentially, the first command takes precedence and the later is inactive. Also the cross-controlled key command1/6 and 3/4 work. The keyboard otherwise functions normally.

I have a Dell M1710 2.00 GHz Centrino processor. 4GB RAM (3.25 useable) 512MB video running WinXP Pro. The same issue occurs on my Dell Inspiron laptop but not on my Dell Dimension desktop. I haven't edited the keymapping files from their default and can duplicate the problem in all 7 of my Orbiter installations across several vessels. The RCS effect is less noticeable in spaceflight than the control surface issue is in atmospheric flight. The ships are still flyable.

I purchased a USB numpad and the problem disappeared. It may be that while the "in keyboard" numpad can function, it's function is limited or distorted. Look at your control surface and RCS action with your key commands. I'd be curious to see if this is a common laptop issue or just clustered in certain brands.

Thanks,
Ben