News Notre Dame de Paris on fire

fort

Reaction score
Ce n'est qu'un bâtiment mais j'en suis très triste.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
[ame="http://twitter.com/patrickgaley/status/1117848909877895171"]Patrick Galey on Twitter: "The moment #NotreDame’s spire fell… "[/ame]

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Its a great disaster :(

The structure of the building can be rebuild, 16 statues had been removed from the site before for restauration.... but everything else is gone, all the artwork is gone.

And the fire is still ablaze and out of control, I really hope that the main facade will not collapse.

Mister Kite

&#%!@?!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The smoke now also comes from the front two towers.

23kxmqqa7dsd_std640.jpg

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Damn.
That's also so unexpected - i've been there 8 years ago, and i remember wondering how they built such a roof *out of stone* back in 11th century.
Never realized there was anything combustible in there, much less to such an extent.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Damn.
That's also so unexpected - i've been there 8 years ago, and i remember wondering how they built such a roof *out of stone* back in 11th century.
Never realized there was anything combustible in there, much less to such an extent.

It was pretty much wooden on top, contrary to the much later Cologne Cathedral, which had more iron construction (but its roof still has wood below the copper)

The spire that collapsed was added again about 100 years ago, made of oak and covered with lead.

fort

Reaction score
Firefighters fear for the collapse of a belfry in the coming hour.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Firefighters fear for the collapse of a belfry in the coming hour.

Yes, the few sights of it look bad, I really hope they can prevent the collapse, because if it collapses, the structural integrity of the whole tower will be compromised.

fort

Reaction score
I really hope they can prevent the collapse, because if it collapses, the structural integrity of the whole tower will be compromised.

It seems like it will not go further. The structure seems preserved. The interior of the cathedral is, him, extremely damaged and the roof is no longer there, burned, for two thirds.

It will not be the first time that Notre Dame will have to be restored, not her first fire in history but ...

Zandy12

Add-on Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have never seen the Notre Dame Cathedral before, so hearing this is truly heartbreaking knowing the fact that I won't be able to see it ever in its full originality for the rest of my life. I hope nobody got hurt.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I have never seen the Notre Dame Cathedral before, so hearing this is truly heartbreaking knowing the fact that I won't be able to see it ever in its full originality for the rest of my life. I hope nobody got hurt.

Well, just remember: Nobody in the forum ever did.

It was greatly renovated in the 19th century, after Victor Hugos novell Notre Dame was released. The famous spire of it (le fleche) was added during that period. Before, it was essentially just a facade with ruins inside, the spire far less impressive:

Jacques_Rigaud%2C_Autre_Vue_Particuli%C3%A8re_de_Paris_depuis_N%C3%B4tre_Dame%2C_Jusques_au_Pont_de_la_Tournelle.jpg

It was Victor Hugo, who really created the myth of Notre Dame, before his novel there was really little interest into this gem.

All gothic cathedrals are perpetual construction sites, always something gets fixed or changed. There are only very few years in history, where you had been able to see the Cologne Cathedral without scaffolding, which is very suitable for Cologne.... :lol: