Not an Orbiter Bug but wierd thing going on.

hypersonic

Ancient Starship
Reaction score
Hi Orbiteers.
Hopefully someone may know what is gonig in here.

Computer setup is as follows: Multi-harddrive PC that is dual boot XP & Vista.
Orbiter is stored on a physically separate harddrive from either OS. - & is simply seen as a lettered drive when booted in either OS.

To run orbiter in either Os, i simply click on the shortcut that I've made to the .exe file.

Now here's the wierd thing that is going on:

I like to fly the Vespucci around a lot & have created several scenerios.
One of which is a bespoke Scenerio in LEO with several smaller craft on the docking ports.
ALL ships are cold & dark. including Vespucci.

When i enter this scenerio whilst in Vista. It loads perfectly & behaves normally.

However when booted into XP & i load the SAME Orbiter & Scenerio up ... (Remember, even though it is a different OS, the Prog & scenerios are the SAME on a neutral drive, that are being accessed via VISTA, thus no difference).
Anyway, Orbiter Loads & looks absolutely fine in XP, however when i load the same Scenerio, Vespucci is bleeding fuel rapidly, even though it is in the same cold & dark state that it is when it behaves itself in Vista.

So the question is, what is causing this strange behaviour when booted into XP that isn't hapenning in Vista, when all the SAME files are being accessed in the same way!
Even weirder, XP DID used to behave itself as well, & now doesn't inexplicably for no aparrent reason.

Is there some session file that Orbiter.exe creates that is stored in some user shared folder somewhere, outside of the orbiter folder?

It's a bit of a fag, if i'm working in XP, then fancy a wee flight, & have to resort to rebooting into Vista, just to play Orbiter, when it is the same files being accessed from both OS's..

Any ideas?

Cheers
Hyper

hypersonic

Ancient Starship
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea to this?

to clarify, when i say bleeding fuel ....

Vespucci D has 15 thousand tonnes of fuel. When cold & dark in Vista, the right hand fuel display in the cockpit is always lit up & shows 15K tonnes of fuel.. & stays like that until you deliberately do something, like start the core up & get the ship running or fire the engines, once up & running. Otherwise when cold & dark it will stay showing 15k tonnes.

When in XP, running the same files & scenerio, the ship bleeds 10 tonnes of fuel per second!!!!! - So it is definately not a trickle, & empties the ship in a matter of minutes.

Your ideas on what is causing this between the two OS's would be great.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Your ideas on what is causing this between the two OS's would be great.

As I can only guess here, I'd say runtime libraries (MSVCRT*.dll and the like).

regards,
Face

hypersonic

Ancient Starship
Reaction score
As I can only guess here, I'd say runtime libraries (MSVCRT*.dll and the like).

regards,
Face

Hi,
I don't think this is the problem, as other scenerios are loading just fine when running over XP.

Anyone else have an idea as to what is causing the strange behaviour?
Cheers

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
Hi Orbiteers.
Is there some session file that Orbiter.exe creates that is stored in some user shared folder somewhere, outside of the orbiter folder?
Nope.
To me it appears to be a Vista compatibility related problem.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Nope.
To me it appears to be a Vista compatibility related problem.
How is it a Vista compatibility problem when it works on Vista and doesn't work on XP?

hypersonic

Ancient Starship
Reaction score
How is it a Vista compatibility problem when it works on Vista and doesn't work on XP?

Exactly!, & in fact Orbiter DOES work in XP, it just seems to be this particular scenerio. And in Fact the Scenerio DID used to load just fine in XP as well. - it can't be the scenerio that is corrupted, as i've examined it line by line.. & it does load ok in the other OS.

So it seems to be something to do with some session created file stored 'outside' of the Orbiter folder perhaps?? when i say session - I'm referring t other USER logged into the Operating system.

One interesting thing though... when this scenerio is loaded that shows the fuel bleed... when selecting 'exit' from the F4 menu ... Orbiter crashes to desktop!!! - This DOESN'T happen in Vista, OR in XP with a different scenerio loaded. As i said it USED to work in XP just fine ... Some external 'clash' file must have been created somewhere??

Cheers