Project North Korea Tongchang-ri Launch Pad 3D Reconstruction

ISNJH

Reaction score
I am new here on the forum and just wanted to share a little of my current work I am currently working on.

My latest visualization is a 3D reconstruction of the Tongchang-ri launch site from press photo's from the visit to the site and slowly starting to reconstruct the site in 3D

Some older work in progress renders!

Tonghcang-ri-Site-RenderWorkInprogress5.jpg

Tonghcang-ri-Site-RenderWorkInprogress8.jpg

Tonghcang-ri-Site-RenderWorkInprogress9.jpg

The above images are older renders I have recently been working on adding in the launch tower gantry swing arms! still a lot of work left to do yet on tower!

Tonghcang-ri-Site-RenderWorkInprogressGantrys1.jpg

Tonghcang-ri-Site-RenderWorkInprogressGantrys2.jpg

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
That's a good looking launch site! I look forward to seeing some "In-sim" pictures (and I hope my old PC doesn't take it for a frame rate killer.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
And Welcome to the Forums !

:cheers:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Are all rockets launched from that base forced to crash in mid-flight?:p Seriously though, looks good.

ISNJH

Reaction score
depending how the final version turns out and how high poly it is I may have to replace some of the gantry supports with a flat sheet with the supports being part of the texture.

I am currently working on the crane on top of the tower..

On a side note I loaded the launch tower up in GE and even on my old old laptop when flying around in the simulator in GE it ran very smoothly just wonder what it would run like on my desktop render station :D

ISNJH

Reaction score
Update: Got the basic crane added onto the launch tower, still need to make some adjustments on crane section that extends out over the tower and correct it length and add on the girder struts to top part of crane! Here are three renders showing from different angles.

Tongchang-ri-Site-LaunchTowerCraneWIP1.jpg

Tongchang-ri-Site-LaunchTowerCraneWIP2.jpg

Tongchang-ri-Site-LaunchTowerCraneWIP3.jpg

ISNJH

Reaction score
I spent time this evening counting the cement slabs from the sat photos on Google earth so now the pad is divided up into the individual slabs instead one big flat surface!

Here are two renders showing the latest update!!
Tongchang-ri-Site-LaunchPad-CementSlabs.png

Tongchang-ri-Site-LaunchPad-CementSlabs2.png

ISNJH

Reaction score
Thanks :) and here are six update images, started working on getting the fuel buildings added in on the hill and getting the basic for the piping started!

Tongchang-ri-Site-LaunchPad-Side-Buildings.jpg

Tongchang-ri-Site-LaunchPad-Side-Buildings2.jpg

Tongchang-ri-Site-LaunchPad-Side-Buildings3.jpg

Tongchang-ri-Site-LaunchPad-Fuel-Buildings.jpg

Tongchang-ri-Site-LaunchPad-Fuel-Buildings2.jpg

Tongchang-ri-Site-LaunchPad-Fuel-Buildings3.jpg

Last edited:

ISNJH

Reaction score
After having to take a break from working on the Tongchang-ri launch site I am back to work on modeling the details on the launch tower and getting other parts finished like the Radio camera tower by the launch tower!

Have uploaded two screenshots showing some of the new work! am hoping to get the shacks added into the separate levels of the launch tower along with the stairs for each floor added this coming week.

Attachments

• Tongchang-ri-TowerE.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-TowerE.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Tongchang-ri-towerrender2.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrender2.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 37

ISNJH

Reaction score
Thanks :) I try my best to put as much detail into the models I do to make them as accurate as possible.

Also once the model is finished with all parts its easier to go over it and make slight adjustments here and there to correct any errors that might be wrong since one is not starting from scratch :)

ISNJH

Reaction score
More progress on the launch site reconstruction! started adding in the stairs to each level along with redoing the crane on top of tower from new ref photo's I got to take a look at!

Attachments

• Tongchang-ri-towerrender49.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrender49.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Tongchang-ri-towerrender50.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrender50.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Tongchang-ri-towerrender47.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrender47.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Tongchang-ri-towerrender48.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrender48.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 27

Soheil_Esy

Fazanavard فضانورد
Reaction score
Sohae Satellite Launching Station 3D panoramas by Nathan J. Hunt

Sohae Satellite Launching Station (Tongchang-ri) 3D Panoramas

By 38 North
22 July 2013

panorama-300x223.jpg

38 North announces the launch of new 3D panoramas providing interactive, high-detail, virtual tours of key North Korean sites. Developed by Nathan J. Hunt, the first set of panoramas is focused on the mapping and reconstruction of the Sohae Satellite Launching Station (also referred to as Tongchang-ri).

This initial release offers a reconstruction of the launch pad at Sohae. Details have been added based on satellite imagery and photos of the facility. It will be updated over time as changes are detected to ensure that the reconstruction remains an up-to-date visualization.

Future releases will feature the missile assembly building and checkout areas, launch command center and motor pools.

This first phase is co-sponsored by MDAA.

Explore this new interactive panorama of the launch pad at Sohae here.

http://38north.org/2013/07/sohaepano1/

31 July 2014 UPDATE
SohaePano201407-293x300.jpg

Sohae Panorama, July 2014 Update38 North announces the release of the updated
3D panorama of the Sohae Satellite Launching Station (also referred to as Tongchang-ri). This panorama offers a reconstruction of the launch pad at Sohae, with additional details based on satellite imagery and photos of the facility. It allows the user to view the the full look of the tower, from several angles and levels.

Future releases will reconstruct other facilities in the area, including the vehicle processing building, satellite control command center and fuel storage buildings.

Developed by Nathan J. Hunt, this updated panorama is exclusive to 38 North. Panorama © 2014 Nathan J. Hunt/38 North

http://38north.org/2014/07/sohaepano2/

Last edited:

Soheil_Esy

Fazanavard فضانورد
Reaction score
Sohae Satellite Launching Station (Tongchang-ri) 3D Panorama: Launch Control Center (Exterior)

05 October 2015

38 North announces the release of a new 3D panorama of facilities at the Sohae Satellite Launching Station (also referred to as Tongchang-ri). Based on satellite imagery of the site and photos of the facility, this panorama presents a reconstruction of the Sohae Launch Control Center exterior.

The next release will model the interior of the Launch Control Center main room.

The Launch Control Center panorama is part of an ongoing project by Nathan J. Hunt, and is exclusive to 38 North.

Pano_Sohae-Control-Center-297x300.jpg

http://38north.org/2015/10/sohaepano100515/

6 October 2015

Only 4 days before the anniversary date, still no indications for a launch preparation...

13.gif
14.gif

@ISNJH And the main launch pad would also need to be upgraded with all these news structures and railroads, as is the static test stand!

S☫heil_Esy

Last edited:

Soheil_Esy

Fazanavard فضانورد
Reaction score
6 October 2015

Only 4 days before the anniversary date, still no indications for a launch preparation...

13.gif
14.gif

@ISNJH And the main launch pad would also need to be upgraded with all these news structures and railroads, as is the static test stand!

S☫heil_Esy

12 December 2015

So it was only about the new Hwasong-14...

S☫heil_Esy

Sohae Satellite Launching Station 3D Panorama: Launch Control Center (Interior View)

09 December 2015

This panorama features an interior view of the Launch Control Center at the Sohae Satellite Launching Station.

Click on the navigation buttons to explore the site and change angles. Panorama may take several minutes to load depending on internet connection, and requires Adobe Flash Player to view.

View the slideshow below for additional angles of the room.

Explore this new interactive panorama of the control center at Sohae here.

C101.jpg

C9.jpg

C6.jpg

C5.jpg

C3.jpg

C14.jpg

http://38north.org/2015/12/sohaepano120915/

Last edited:

ISNJH

Reaction score
With new release of control room I am hoping to be able to focus on finishing up the the rest of the site and new changes to pad area... but depends on work schedule and my tasking.

Soheil_Esy

Fazanavard فضانورد
Reaction score

3D interactive walk around of #DPRK control center. https://youtube.com/watch?v=KoX7qauLeoI
https://twitter.com/ISNJH/status/1397455543812329472
May 26, 2021
38 North - VR Tour of North Korea’s Sohae Satellite Launching Station: Launch Control Center
This is a new 3D presentation tour of the control center at the Sohae Satellite Launching Station in North Korea.
Based on the still-image rendered model first created for 38 North, this is a new VR reconstruction of the launch control center. The model was extensively updated and parts remodeled and brought into the Unreal4 powered Twin motion as part of an effort to map out the facility for a virtual real time tour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoX7qauLeoI

Unha-2 Simulation launch video
Test video of launch Unha-2 launch from the Sohae launch test site..
3D VR presentation of walk around the launch site from OSINT imagery and video to give researcher a better understanding on the site layout
Nov 5, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsauNKjD4XY

HS-15 TEL Simulation
Test of working on the TEL simulator visualization demo
HS-15 Missile launcher brought into Unreal4 engine
Sep 21, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWaT76ngGXg

KN_11 SLBM Launch
KN-11 #SLBM simulated #launch with break through protective water proof shield.. and surface breach... #Unreal4 #simulation..
Aug 30, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cyla-F32ac

6e323515d66ee30841cae4a9a7318d3b72b3e685.gif

ae4ffdaeb02c2ea160fb33e41686a846f36755ca.gif

022c2d783cdf337beef335add6afdbf99880963d.png
4b7f704c1b6a7a2291742bd3986353bc70cc2569.png

:cool:?

Last edited: