Problem No Sound after Sound 5 Instllation

richardB13

Reaction score
Hi, I have just installed Orbiter 2016 on my PC running Windows 11, i5 processor, Direct X12, 8GBRam and it runs fine. I installed Orbiter Sound 5 in my Orbiter 2016 folder and all was well, no error messages. The sound exe file plays all the test sounds perfectly. I launched Orbiter 2016 but have no sound, it's just like the vacuum of space but everywhere! The box referring to the sound module is ticked so sound should be activated but Orbiter 2016 does not seem to import any sounds from Orbiter Sound 5 to enhance my playing experience. I cannot see the radio MFD in demo 1 and no sounds are heard in any of the scenarios I have tried. I have no doubt that there is a simple solution, perhaps someone could tell me where I have gone wrong or missed a step. Thank You

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Hmm, that does sound like you did everything right. Does your orbiter.log file show that module is being loaded.

It could be something like install location. Sometines windows or antivirus software will block something from loading. If you install in program files.

richardB13

Reaction score
Thanks, now that I've found it I've checked the Orbiter.log and it says
"Failed loading module Modules\Plugin\OrbiterSound.dll (code 126) [Orbiter::LoadModule | .\Orbiter.cpp | 600]". I thought I'd seeen this file in the program folders, so thought it was installed OK but if it's not there it's not surprising sound isn't working! I will try a reinstall.

richardB13

Reaction score
Thanks, now that I've found it I've checked the Orbiter.log and it says
"Failed loading module Modules\Plugin\OrbiterSound.dll (code 126) [Orbiter::LoadModule | .\Orbiter.cpp | 600]". I thought I'd seeen this file in the program folders, so thought it was installed OK but if it's not there it's not surprising sound isn't working! I will try a reinstall.
Problem was missing Dir X Libraries from DX10 (as suggested in the help files). Libraries nstalled and sound now works fine

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Maybe unrelated, maybe not, but do you happen to also run D3D9 with no problem?

richardB13

Reaction score
Sound working fine now after the Direct X 10 Libraries it requires were installed, Not yet loaded the graphics pack D3D9 but all being well, it's on the cards for the near future

Gieno

Reaction score
Hi I have been using Orbiter for more than 4 year's now. And ever since there was no problem with no sound. For some reason there are no sounds in any of the scenarios. I'm currently using OrbiterSound 5.0. I redownload it, but still no sound. I thought that it might be the speakers but that's working fine, any suggestions?

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Gieno, Make sure OrbiterSound is checked in the Modules tab after your redownload.
Else, have you tried downloading the Direct X 10 Libraries as suggested above ?

Gieno

Reaction score
Hi JMW, yes after the redownload OrbiterSound is checked in the Modules tab still no sound.

I downloaded Orbiter again on the same computer, only with D3D9 and Orbiter Sound 5 just to check if the problem will still persist. But it seems to work there's sound in the second download of Orbiter with only D3D9 and Orbiter Sound 5...:unsure:

I encountered an Error Code: S1023 during installation of Direct X 10 Libraries...🤦‍♂️

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
This may help if the Libraries are the problem (no guarantees, especially if you have Windows10 ! )

Gieno

Reaction score
This may help if the Libraries are the problem (no guarantees, especially if you have Windows10 ! )
Hi, I think my issue occurs because a newer version of the Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable is present on the computer. The June 2010 DirectX SDK installs version 10.0.30319 of the Visual C++ Redistributable.

Thank you very much for your help appreciated. Sound is still not there. Like I said I downloaded Orbiter on the same computer, with only D3D9 and Orbiter Sound 5 and on that Orbiter there is sound.

I might have press something else, and the sound disappear...🤔