Software No quicksaves

BobSpiders

Reaction score
Hi,

Apparently my "Quicksaves" don't work. Whenever I click on CTRL-S or the "save" button on the top of the screen nothing happens. Then, when I exit (CTRL-Q or "exit") Orbiter doesn't go back to the launchpad but exits completely (I understand it means that wehn I re-start Orbiter any quicksave is erased?). Is there some fix to make user I exit back to the launchpad?

FYI, I'm using the Orbiter_ng exe with Windows 10 (the "regular" orbiter.exe does not work - I had to install the D3D9 client following forum suggestions and I can only use Orbiter_ng - not sure what the difference is)

Many thanks

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Hi!
About the quicksaves, if you go to the Quicksave folder, are there any scenarios? The Quicksave function just saves the current state to a scenario in the Quicksave folder and the simulation continues.

On Orbiter exiting completly, if you go to the Extra tab on the Launchpad, select Debugging options >> Orbiter shutdown options, what is selected?

BobSpiders

Reaction score
Nothing in the Quicksave folder (it was the place where I was expecting to find something ...)

In the shutdown menu, the selected option is:
De-allocate memory and display launchpad dialog".

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Hmm, can you check if the Orbiter folder is read-only? (it shouldn't)

BobSpiders

Reaction score
Hi GLS,

thanks for the suggestion. The folder had indeed some kind of read-only flag, I cleared it for all folders, subfolders and files and now both Quicksaves and "back to launchpad on exit" seem to work (strangely, though, if I look at the property of the main Orbiter folder it still seem that there is some kind of read-only status, at least on the folders, not on the files).

On another subject, do you know why, after running orbiter, the whole graphics on my computer is altered (i.e., strange-looking different fonts on all applications), and stay the same until I log out from my Windows account? I guess that has to do with D3D9 ...

Many thanks

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Hi GLS,

thanks for the suggestion. The folder had indeed some kind of read-only flag, I cleared it for all folders, subfolders and files and now both Quicksaves and "back to launchpad on exit" seem to work (strangely, though, if I look at the property of the main Orbiter folder it still seem that there is some kind of read-only status, at least on the folders, not on the files).
Glad to see that is fixed!

On another subject, do you know why, after running orbiter, the whole graphics on my computer is altered (i.e., strange-looking different fonts on all applications), and stay the same until I log out from my Windows account? I guess that has to do with D3D9 ...

Many thanks
That is probably the font smoothing... go to the Extra tab, Performance options, and uncheck both checkboxes. (At least that's what I use and I don't have those "graphical transients" after exiting Orbiter).

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hi GLS,

Many thanks
That's because Windows font smoothing is being deactivated. This can be changed by going Extra>Performance options>Uncheck Disable font smoothing while Orbiter is running>Check Enforce font smoothing on exit.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
On font smoothing:
Sometimes the "Enforce font smoothing on exit" does not work, specifically when Orbiter crashes due to a faulty addon. In this case a handy tool can re-activate font smoothing with one click: Cleartypeswitch

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
On font smoothing:
Sometimes the "Enforce font smoothing on exit" does not work, specifically when Orbiter crashes due to a faulty addon. In this case a handy tool can re-activate font smoothing with one click: Cleartypeswitch
That's why you need to uncheck Disable font smoothing while Orbiter is running as that's the option that actually disables the font smoothing (AKA "Cleartype").

With it unchecked, Orbiter never tells Windows to disable font smoothing in the first place. The option to ensure font smoothing is restored upon exiting is just an extra setting then.

BobSpiders

Reaction score
Thanks to everybody, unchecking the font smoothing option worked perfectly!