Software Unable to create D3D9 Symbolic Links on Linux + Wine

Pioneer

Reaction score
I am currently running Orbiter 2016 with the latest D3D9 client on a Linux Mint machine through Wine. I know that for some of the add-ons I use, I need to create symbolic links in order for them to function properly. Unfortunately, ever time I click on the "Create Symbolic Links" button, I get an error stating that they were unable to be created. Is there a manual way to add the symbolic links?

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
I am currently running Orbiter 2016 with the latest D3D9 client on a Linux Mint machine through Wine. I know that for some of the add-ons I use, I need to create symbolic links in order for them to function properly. Unfortunately, ever time I click on the "Create Symbolic Links" button, I get an error stating that they were unable to be created. Is there a manual way to add the symbolic links?
You can copy the Config folder (from the main Orbiter directory) and put it inside /Modules/Server.
Or you can also make a link from the Config folder and put it inside /Modules/Server.
Use the

Code:
sudo ln -s

Command

No, please be very careful with sudo. Any command invoked using sudo gains authority as root, and can also change the order of file access and ownership permissions.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
No, please be very careful with sudo. Any command invoked using sudo gains authority as root, and can also change the order of file access and ownership permissions.

More to the point, your wine directory (and therefore Orbiter directory) will generally be in your home folder, which you own, so you don't need sudo. You're unlikely to break the system by creating a root-owned symbolic link in some subdirectory of your home directory, but it's simply not the correct solution and won't help anything.

Just "ln -s" with the appropriate source and destination paths, no sudo.